Author Topic: Desmond's Parachute Vision  (Read 6404 times)

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Desmond's Parachute Vision
« on: April 19, 2007, 06:08:24 PM »
{Just watched it again to be sure & sorry if someone has mentioned this.)

When Des has the first vision of the parachute scene{after him seeing Charlie taking it in the throat}, it shows Jin, Hurley AND Charlie holding the parachute open. 
Maybe Charlie wasn't supposed to die at all. 

How could he have possibly been shot in the throat with an arrow and still have been around to help hold the parachute open afterwards?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 06:23:32 PM by rhythm »

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
Re: Desmond's Parachute Vision
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 06:14:08 PM »
{Just watched it again to be sure} Also, sorry if someone has mentioned this.
When Des has the first vision of the parachute scene{after him seeing Charlie taking it in the throat}, it shows Jin, Hurley AND Charlie holding the parachute open. 
Maybe Charlie wasn't supposed to die at all. 
How could he have possibly been shot in the throat with an arrow and still have been around to help hold the parachute open afterwards?

Wow!! Now I have to go watch it again
Thats an excellent point!!
So maybe he was not meant to die, but then why would Des see him
getting hit by the arrow?  Crap!!
:-\

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 06:16:15 PM »
Could it be the whole "Saving Charlie" thing is not really about Charlie but more so about Desmond?  I mean honestly...how long can a person go on saving someone before they find something else to do.....lol

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 06:17:16 PM »
Maybe these flashes are not previews, but warnings, or glimpses of things coming to be aware of.  Des did say that he didn't know how all of the puzzle pieces fit together.  Maybe there isn't something that is *supposed* to happen at all.  Just, hey, Charlie is gonna step on this trip wire--be prepared! And, there's gonna be a parachutist on the island--be prepared!  And how he chooses to use the info is his own discretion. 

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 06:19:41 PM »
Desmond believes he failed the task by fate becuase he kept Charlie alive; and the bad thing for Desmond is, he is convincing himself that this is the case. Where it is completely the opposite
When he actually excelled in it. This is Desmonds true path, saving Charlies life.

Offline lili517

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 06:30:33 PM »

maybe the flashes werent in order and what was supposed to happen is they get the parachutist and then charlie hits the wire... that would explan the flashes

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 06:32:36 PM »
Or...
could it be Desmond was given the below choices:
1. Let Charlie die and release yourself of this responsibility.
or
2. Save Charlie's life and the parachuter will.... ok so I don't know what she'll do but she's there for a reason and I chose to believe she'll be an asset and not a liability.

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 06:33:51 PM »

maybe the flashes werent in order and what was supposed to happen is they get the parachutist and then charlie hits the wire... that would explan the flashes
True, but then why don't we see the parachuter walking with them or them carrying any of her possessions?

Offline lili517

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 06:35:34 PM »
This is Desmonds true path, saving Charlies life.

I dissagree... in the episode with the old lady she said that no matter what Des did, eventually the universe will correct itself and Charlie will die.  I do not have a good reason but I find it hard to beleive that Des sole purpose in life is to just protect Charlie everytime he sees him die.  He is constantly a very important character and has really turned alot of things around and I fail to believe that with everything he has gone through (that we have seen in the flashbacks) he is just suppose to save charlie.

I bet you soon Charlie will die and Des wouldn't have seen it coming.  After all, he doesn't see everything that is going to happen

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 06:40:40 PM »
This is Desmonds true path, saving Charlies life.

I dissagree... in the episode with the old lady she said that no matter what Des did, eventually the universe will correct itself and Charlie will die.  I do not have a good reason but I find it hard to beleive that Des sole purpose in life is to just protect Charlie everytime he sees him die.  He is constantly a very important character and has really turned alot of things around and I fail to believe that with everything he has gone through (that we have seen in the flashbacks) he is just suppose to save charlie.

I bet you soon Charlie will die and Des wouldn't have seen it coming.  After all, he doesn't see everything that is going to happen
I suppose I kinda mis-phrased what I'm trying to convey.
His sole purpose is not to protect Charlie, but its another stepping stone so he can find his path.
At the moment, Desmond is trying extremely hard to find the correct path that he believes he is doing wrong by saving Charile.

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 07:24:57 PM »
I don't think he believes he is doing wrong by saving Charlie, or else he wouldn't keep doing it!  I think just this time he thought that by letting the universe correct itself and kill Charlie (what was "supposed" to happen anyway in Des's mind) that he would be able to see Penny.  But in the end, he couldn't let his friend die, no matter the consequences.

Offline boetsch

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 07:32:05 PM »
In Desmond's original vision at the start of the show, there is a brief flash when a woman, I think Penny, is shown in the jungle. I'd paste the screencap here, but am not technically savvy enough to shrink the grab i just did.

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 07:36:27 PM »
If you figure it out, or someone else does, paste it to my thread: Des's reasoning.  I'd like to see that!

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 07:47:38 PM »
In Desmond's original vision at the start of the show, there is a brief flash when a woman, I think Penny, is shown in the jungle. I'd paste the screencap here, but am not technically savvy enough to shrink the grab i just did.

I think I can help. If you have a photobucket account uplaod your picture to photobucket
if you don't have an account its free and easy photobucket.com
Once you upload the picture it will give you 3 tags Use the one that starts with URL
just copy and past the tag here in your post and voila it will be posted
You can also re-size it if you must right in photobucket.  Once it is uploaded into your album just click on the picture and at the top it will give you options.  I hope this helps ;)

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 07:56:29 PM »
Thanks Debs,

Hopefully boetch will get it figured out....if not, I may try later.

I'm actually supposed to be doing expense reports right now.....blech.