Author Topic: Superman Versus The Flash:  (Read 9544 times)

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Superman Versus The Flash:
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 06:46:56 PM »
this is all dialogue from the book and movie "stand by me" by stephen king.....the original title for the book is "the body"

its about a bunch of boys who say they are going camping but go looking for a dead body

Do you mean that this dialog is directly from the movie/book?  How close is it?

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 06:58:34 PM »
Is this LOST or HEROES? "Guys where are we?"

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 08:22:50 PM »
Well, I've been a massive Superman fan all my life (sorry, the films, not the comics) so I was well chuffed to hear them talking about him! I'm even more pleased that there was relevance to it - nice one puff!

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 10:02:41 PM »
this is all dialogue from the book and movie "stand by me" by stephen king.....the original title for the book is "the body"

its about a bunch of boys who say they are going camping but go looking for a dead body

I never read the book, but have seen the movie a zillion times.  Now that you mention it, I do remember them having a talk about the superheroes.  I will have to look into it and see what I can come up with.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 10:09:03 PM »

I never read the book, but have seen the movie a zillion times.  Now that you mention it, I do remember them having a talk about the superheroes.  I will have to look into it and see what I can come up with.

I looked up the movie in Wikipedia and it mentions a debate they were having about Mighty Mouse verses Superman.  That was all I could find without watching the movie again, but I do remember their debate and it could have been different in the book.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 10:18:59 PM »
Do you just copy and paste everything from Wikipedia? Because alot of this is word for word...

This is why I don't like Wiki....at the top of the page is..."the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit." None of this info is from referenced material, therefore can't be considered accurate...

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 10:50:24 PM »
What reference do you trust?

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 11:58:45 PM »
Taken from Webster:
c (1) : a source of information (as a book or passage) to which a reader or consulter is referred (2) : a work (as a dictionary or encyclopedia) containing useful facts or information

Point being, if your going to copy and paste word for word from Wiki..either say that, or just post the entire link...

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 12:38:29 AM »
Nuts.  The reference is cited.  If I include the entire article the pita's complain that the post is too long.  Why would I post from the most common reference on the web and not cite it?  Is this related to the original post on this thread summarizing all that you may have said?  If so, lo siento.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 02:49:20 AM »
Read the Unifying Theory of Lost....I didn't start watching the show until this season and Hugh Everett's model of quantum physics was almost being demonstrated by the wierdness.

"Any sufficently advanced technology is indestinguishable from magic" Author C. Clark

"Those who are not shocked when they first come across quantum theory, cannot possibly have understood it." Neils Bohr , Danish Physicist (1885-1962)

Puff, have read the Unifying Theory of Lost and happen to love this idea. nice Niel Bohr quote! Clark quote reminds me of alchemy.
Electro-magnetism, quantum physics, and time-loops are "relative" to lost. The Everett and Hawking theories are my faves to date!

Offline Gordy

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 05:42:42 AM »
i guess i should have said this is dialogue "imitating" the book......i dont think it is word for word but it is definitly a nod to the movie.....i cant remember if they talk about superman and mighty mouse in the book. it has been around twenty years since ive read it...lol.   but the whistling is also from the movie and the "going camping" story is also from the book and movie

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 06:53:47 AM »
i guess i should have said this is dialogue "imitating" the book......i dont think it is word for word but it is definitly a nod to the movie.....i cant remember if they talk about superman and mighty mouse in the book. it has been around twenty years since ive read it...lol.   but the whistling is also from the movie and the "going camping" story is also from the book and movie

Yeah you should've!  >:( >:(

:D

Thought this was a good catch. Way to go GORDY!  ;D

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 12:48:42 PM »

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 05:08:52 PM »
Hmmm.  I'm not too sure about the Stand By Me connection.

The Losties are whistling "Colonel Bogey March" from Bridge On The River Kwai.  The kids are singing "Lollypop".

The comic book conversations differ in that one is a fight and one is a race.

In Stand By Me, everyone (but the parents) knew when they set off that they weren't just going camping.  They had a destination in mind.  Initially, only Desmond knew the purpose of the journey in this episode.

I gotta say, though, that this might very well be an homage to the great film that is Stand By Me.

While we're discussing that film....

I distinctly remember Roger Ebert giving this movie a vehement thumbs-down due to the barf-o-rama scene.

Trivia:  Who remembers the real name of "Lard-ass" who ate all the pies in the movie?

Spoiler
Davey Hogan

Offline HanginWithMrEko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2007, 01:46:57 PM »
if they discussed why goofy wears pants, but pluto doesn't... the stand by me reference would be spot on