Author Topic: Superman Versus The Flash:  (Read 9561 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Superman Versus The Flash:
« on: April 19, 2007, 01:14:15 PM »
This dialogue is poignant to the method of reaching the island and provides the major insight of the entire episode.  Superman, despite super strength can't cross a wall without busting it.  If that is excluded, only the Flash can make entry by his abilities to violate the laws of physics.  Additionally, the Flash exists in parallel universes and can make passage from on to another.  Finally, the Flash is not bound by time and therefore may die but appear in later episodes.

Here was the dialogue:

Charlie:  Superman can fly across the entire planet in a blink of the eye.
Hurley:  If we're going by a pure footrace, Sup would get dusted by the Flash.
Charlie:  why would the man of steel  agree to a sodding footrace?
Hurley:  ah..for charity...and Flash would win would totally win cause he can like vibrate through walls and stuff.
Charlie:  oooh...vibration....whatever would do Superman do if he came up against a wall?
Hurley:  Well, no smashing allowed.
Charlie:  No flying, no smashing....any other restrictions I need to know about?
Charlie:  Perhaps we should fit Superman with a pair of kryptonite....(ballerina slippers)

The Flash's abilities alludes to the method used by the parachutist to reach the island.  Addition, I believe that the story of the Flash is key to the broader mysteries of time, parallel realities, and apparitions that have appeared upon the island.

You must read this little snippet from wikipedia on The Flash:

The Flash introduced a much-imitated plot device into superhero comics when it was revealed that Garrick and Allen existed on fictional parallel worlds. Their powers allowed them to cross the dimensional boundary between worlds, and the men became good friends. The Flash of Two Worlds (The Flash vol.1 #123) was the first crossover in which a Golden Age character met a Silver Age character. Soon, there were crossovers between the entire Justice League and the Justice Society; their respective teams began an annual get-together which endured from the early 1960s until the mid-1980s.

Allen's adventures continued in his own title until the advent of Crisis on Infinite Earths. The Flash ended as a series with #350. Allen's life had become considerably confused in the early 1980s, and DC elected to end his adventures and pass the mantle on to another character. Allen died heroically in Crisis on Infinite Earths #8 (1986). Thanks to his ability to travel through time, he would continue to appear occasionally in the years to come.

Bart Allen was the grandson of Barry Allen and his wife Iris. Bart suffered from accelerated aging and, as a result, was raised in a virtual reality machine until Iris took him back in time in order to get help from the then current Flash, Wally West. With Wally's help, Bart's aging slowed and he took the name Impulse.

All incarnations of the Flash can move, think, and react at superhuman speeds. All possess an aura that prevents air friction from affecting their bodies and clothes while moving.

Barry Allen was believed to be the fastest of all known Flashes, and was known to have travelled faster than the "speed of thought". However, when Barry Allen pushed himself further (while imploding the Anti-Monitor's chief weapon during the Crisis on Infinite Earths) he appeared to waste away as he was converted into pure speed energy, travelled back in time, and was revealed to be the very bolt of lightning that gave him his powers. Barry Allen possessed several other abilities that Jay Garrick and Wally West have not always been able to duplicate. He could run on thick snow clouds. Most unusual was Allen's complete control of his molecules, allowing him to vibrate through solid matter and, on one occasion when transformed into a mirror, "melt" himself and reform as a human to defeat his foe, the Mirror Master.

Wally West has said more than once that Barry Allen was the Flash most experienced with time travel. However, Wally has been shown to have a connection to the Speed Force, an extradimensional energy source, which provides his powers and gives him several other abilities. While all speedsters are powered by the force, West mainlines the power from the force itself and cannot be cut off from the source, unlike the others. Wally has, on several occasions, sped faster than light and been pulled into and exited the Speed Force by his own volition. He can create his costume out of pure speed energy, and can either impart his high velocities to other people and objects already in motion or steal the velocity they possess. Jay Garrick also possesses this ability to some degree; he stole speed from Black Adam in order to defeat the villainous Johnny Sorrow, and he has threatened to steal Bart Allen's (formerly Impulse and Kid Flash, and now the Flash) speed on at least one occasion when he was misbehaving. West can vibrate through objects; in the past, West would cause whatever he vibrated through to explode, but has recently shown this to be a controlled ability as he can pass through objects without any ensuing explosion. Although not nearly as precise as Allen when he used his cosmic treadmill, West has shown to be able to traverse time and dimensions with his own powers, like Allen in Showcase #4 in 1956. However, Wally now accelerates to the point that he is skirting the very edge of the Speed Force dimension, and can traverse along the timestream to specific points as they become visible, much like watching a movie in fast forward or reverse (however, he must have a particular speedster's vibratory signature to search for and lock onto, or be very familiar with the vibration of that time period).

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 01:25:31 PM by puff6962 »

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Superman Versus The Flash:
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 01:24:07 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that you have way too much time on your hands!
 ;D

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 01:27:22 PM »
I just type at the speed of the Flash.  Did you bother reading the post before you reached your conclusion?

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 01:36:26 PM »
Yes, I can read. Unfortunately not at superhuman speed. T'was a joke.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 01:37:42 PM »
lo siento.  No offense taken.  I'm going to write a book about being addicted to Lost and I am currently doing research.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 01:53:31 PM »
I think i have a problem too. It's a common affliction.
I do like your flash post btw. Writers love their comics and sci-fi. The shows a mish-mash of alot of pop-culture and literature.
Enjoyed Hurley and Charlie's debate though. Who hasn't had that conversation as a kid. Dracula vs. Werewolf, Spiderman vs. Batman, Flying vs. Invisibilty, etc...

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 01:54:29 PM »
The Flash has been my favorite superhero since I was a kid.  Not only do I have 3 different comics where Supes and The Flash race (always a tie, of course), but as a kid I often had the very same conversation with my friends that Hurley and Charlie were having.  The Flash has unique properties and superpowers and I couldn't think of any other poster I would rather start this topic than you, puff.

There's not much left to say since you did such a thorough job.

In the older Flash comics (not golden age) he used a treadmill to travel time.  In those childhood arguments I alluded to above, this was one of things that I felt put Flash far and above other superheros.  There's no power that can compete with that of time travel.

When he died in Crisis #8, that was pretty much the end of comic reading for me.  When they started that conversation in this past episode, I nearly cried.

Also, let's not forget that the comic with the polar bear was a Flash/Green Lantern special team up 2 issue.  It concerned the old "golden age" Flash+GL teaming up with the modern ones and travelling through dimensions to combat what is essentially a cancer.  Very weird stuff.

Green Lantern creates things from his mind using the ring.  (Walt, anyone?)

The Flash travels time/dimensions.

Offline The Professor

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 01:54:40 PM »
in star trek when people "beam down" the beamer takes all of their molecules and breaks them up (essentially killing the person) then reconstructs them as a clone with copied memories whereever they want to beam to.  They even say that they actually die (just a take on the whole vibrating through walls things violating known laws of physics) AKA maybe the flash dies everytime his molecules break apart?

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
This dialogue is poignant to the method of reaching the island and provides the major insight of the entire episode.  Superman, despite super strength can't cross a wall without busting it.  If that is excluded, only the Flash can make entry by his abilities to violate the laws of physics.  Additionally, the Flash exists in parallel universes and can make passage from on to another.  Finally, the Flash is not bound by time and therefore may die but appear in later episodes.

Here was the dialogue:

Charlie:  Superman can fly across the entire planet in a blink of the eye.
Hurley:  If we're going by a pure footrace, Sup would get dusted by the Flash.
Charlie:  why would the man of steel  agree to a sodding footrace?
Hurley:  ah..for charity...and Flash would win would totally win cause he can like vibrate through walls and stuff.
Charlie:  oooh...vibration....whatever would do Superman do if he came up against a wall?
Hurley:  Well, no smashing allowed.
Charlie:  No flying, no smashing....any other restrictions I need to know about?
Charlie:  Perhaps we should fit Superman with a pair of kryptonite....(ballerina slippers)

The Flash's abilities alludes to the method used by the parachutist to reach the island.  Addition, I believe that the story of the Flash is key to the broader mysteries of time, parallel realities, and apparitions that have appeared upon the island.

You must read this little snippet from wikipedia on The Flash:

The Flash introduced a much-imitated plot device into superhero comics when it was revealed that Garrick and Allen existed on fictional parallel worlds. Their powers allowed them to cross the dimensional boundary between worlds, and the men became good friends. The Flash of Two Worlds (The Flash vol.1 #123) was the first crossover in which a Golden Age character met a Silver Age character. Soon, there were crossovers between the entire Justice League and the Justice Society; their respective teams began an annual get-together which endured from the early 1960s until the mid-1980s.

Allen's adventures continued in his own title until the advent of Crisis on Infinite Earths. The Flash ended as a series with #350. Allen's life had become considerably confused in the early 1980s, and DC elected to end his adventures and pass the mantle on to another character. Allen died heroically in Crisis on Infinite Earths #8 (1986). Thanks to his ability to travel through time, he would continue to appear occasionally in the years to come.

Bart Allen was the grandson of Barry Allen and his wife Iris. Bart suffered from accelerated aging and, as a result, was raised in a virtual reality machine until Iris took him back in time in order to get help from the then current Flash, Wally West. With Wally's help, Bart's aging slowed and he took the name Impulse.

All incarnations of the Flash can move, think, and react at superhuman speeds. All possess an aura that prevents air friction from affecting their bodies and clothes while moving.

Barry Allen was believed to be the fastest of all known Flashes, and was known to have travelled faster than the "speed of thought". However, when Barry Allen pushed himself further (while imploding the Anti-Monitor's chief weapon during the Crisis on Infinite Earths) he appeared to waste away as he was converted into pure speed energy, travelled back in time, and was revealed to be the very bolt of lightning that gave him his powers. Barry Allen possessed several other abilities that Jay Garrick and Wally West have not always been able to duplicate. He could run on thick snow clouds. Most unusual was Allen's complete control of his molecules, allowing him to vibrate through solid matter and, on one occasion when transformed into a mirror, "melt" himself and reform as a human to defeat his foe, the Mirror Master.

Wally West has said more than once that Barry Allen was the Flash most experienced with time travel. However, Wally has been shown to have a connection to the Speed Force, an extradimensional energy source, which provides his powers and gives him several other abilities. While all speedsters are powered by the force, West mainlines the power from the force itself and cannot be cut off from the source, unlike the others. Wally has, on several occasions, sped faster than light and been pulled into and exited the Speed Force by his own volition. He can create his costume out of pure speed energy, and can either impart his high velocities to other people and objects already in motion or steal the velocity they possess. Jay Garrick also possesses this ability to some degree; he stole speed from Black Adam in order to defeat the villainous Johnny Sorrow, and he has threatened to steal Bart Allen's (formerly Impulse and Kid Flash, and now the Flash) speed on at least one occasion when he was misbehaving. West can vibrate through objects; in the past, West would cause whatever he vibrated through to explode, but has recently shown this to be a controlled ability as he can pass through objects without any ensuing explosion. Although not nearly as precise as Allen when he used his cosmic treadmill, West has shown to be able to traverse time and dimensions with his own powers, like Allen in Showcase #4 in 1956. However, Wally now accelerates to the point that he is skirting the very edge of the Speed Force dimension, and can traverse along the timestream to specific points as they become visible, much like watching a movie in fast forward or reverse (however, he must have a particular speedster's vibratory signature to search for and lock onto, or be very familiar with the vibration of that time period).

Plus one of the cowriters firstt time writer for Lost is a comic bookwriter whose name is escaping me at themoment..This was more than a homage to Tarentino, I agree with you it was very very important dialouge.

Offline megetlost

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 03:14:23 PM »
The Flash has been my favorite superhero since I was a kid.  Not only do I have 3 different comics where Supes and The Flash race (always a tie, of course), but as a kid I often had the very same conversation with my friends that Hurley and Charlie were having.  The Flash has unique properties and superpowers and I couldn't think of any other poster I would rather start this topic than you, puff.

There's not much left to say since you did such a thorough job.

In the older Flash comics (not golden age) he used a treadmill to travel time.  In those childhood arguments I alluded to above, this was one of things that I felt put Flash far and above other superheros.  There's no power that can compete with that of time travel.

When he died in Crisis #8, that was pretty much the end of comic reading for me.  When they started that conversation in this past episode, I nearly cried.

Also, let's not forget that the comic with the polar bear was a Flash/Green Lantern special team up 2 issue.  It concerned the old "golden age" Flash+GL teaming up with the modern ones and travelling through dimensions to combat what is essentially a cancer.  Very weird stuff.

Green Lantern creates things from his mind using the ring.  (Walt, anyone?)

The Flash travels time/dimensions.
Great catch! as i was reading the initial theory, the comic book reference , made me think of  Walts comic. I did not realise until I read your  post, that was a flash comic. I was already buying into the green lantern angle w/ walt.( green cursors, green emergency lights,green tint) Now a whole new plausible theory to wrap my head around.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 03:25:20 PM »
Time travel, parallel universes, alternate realities, vibrations through solid objects, superhero-type qualities...

If this is really where Lost is headed then it's getting goofier by the minute lol.

Offline Fallybear

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 03:35:57 PM »
There can be no doubt that the show is headed in this direction. I just hope they explain it as well as Puffy. If not, he can explain it to me later

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 03:50:47 PM »
Read the Unifying Theory of Lost....I didn't start watching the show until this season and Hugh Everett's model of quantum physics was almost being demonstrated by the wierdness.

"Any sufficently advanced technology is indestinguishable from magic" Author C. Clark

"Those who are not shocked when they first come across quantum theory, cannot possibly have understood it." Neils Bohr , Danish Physicist (1885-1962)

Offline Gordy

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 04:56:54 PM »
this is all dialogue from the book and movie "stand by me" by stephen king.....the original title for the book is "the body"

its about a bunch of boys who say they are going camping but go looking for a dead body

Offline Ailiu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 05:15:06 PM »
I remeber that there really was an epsiode in the 1990s Superman cartoon where Flash challenged Superman to a race.  I found it neat to hear Lost characters pretty much agruing about the same thing I thought when I was little and saw that episiode.  ;D  I still can't figure out the purpose of even having other superheroes in addition to Superman.  Doesn't he pretty much cover everything on his own?  :D

Des does have a neat connection to the Flash.  I didn't even notice the parallel when watching the episiode.  How stupid of me, huh, since Des even describes his visions as "flashes" and his last episiode was called "Flashes Before Your Eyes."  :P