Author Topic: If an alternate reality is true then why....  (Read 3353 times)

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: If an alternate reality is true then why....
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 03:57:49 PM »
No, I never messup my Star Wars lines.  ;)

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 07:09:52 PM »
Both times I have read that Yoda line, I actually heard his voice in my head! 

Agreeing about alternate reality--too much to add in.  I think these are just glimpses of a possible future.  This is the first time that Des has had to "convolute" the events for them to happen.  Usually, they are already happening and he *intervenes*.

So, you ask if the events would have happened if Des hadn't "seen" them? No.  But, I think that this is no different than Claire deciding to go for a swim, or Charlie deciding to go and look for a bird.  It's just that this time, it is Des's decision that will cause Charlie's death.  And he just happens to have "special" reasons to do the events he is doing. ie. Penny.  Does that make sense? 

Have we seen any evidence that Des's reasoning would play out? That future events would change based on each piece being the same? Other than him getting sent "back" to the island after helping that guy at the pub?

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 07:16:19 PM »
Des repeatedly tells Charlie and Hurley that he can't tell them about what will happen on the camping trip.  His reasoning for them is that all of the events must happen as he sees them, or else the future outcome is altered. 

Other than Des getting "sent" back to the island after altering the course of events at the pub, have we seen this reasoning bear out?  Charlie lives each time .  Anything else? 

My point is, couldn't one event be changed from a future flash, and not alter the other ones?  For example, he saves Charlie, but nothing else is different?  As evidence, in the flashes that Desmond sees at the beginning of the episode, he actually sees Charlie ALIVE and helping with the parachute.  Hmmm...

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 11:57:18 PM »
I believe the flashes may have come from similar realities, but not necessarily from a single one.  Thus, Desmond could see Charlie next to the parachute in addition to seeing him die. 

This combination is necessary for Desmond to employ free will as he is allowed choice in using the images.  I again think that Ben has some form of the same gift and that is why things just always seem to work out for him.  He's kinda like Seinfeld in the episode where Jerry always comes out "even."

If Desmond saw a number of flashes all of which led to Charlie's death, then there would be any neither choice or sacrifice.  Desmond was not asked to sacrifice Charlie in the name of the island, but instead was charged with delaying his Reunion with Penny in the name of Charlie.

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 12:08:50 AM »
I like that theory! Having a combination of choices and free will. 

Also interesting theory that Ben can do the same thing.  Do you think this has anything to do with the "magic box"??

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 12:32:04 AM »
I think that the magic box is a concentration of the phenomenon that we have already witnessed.  In other words, there are places on the island where the precognition and other effects we have seen become more amplified.  The location may allow the ultimate transition in which the flashes themselves become more encompassing and exist as realities in their totality.