Author Topic: If an alternate reality is true then why....  (Read 3345 times)

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
If an alternate reality is true then why....
« on: April 19, 2007, 11:34:28 AM »
OK here is my question
If we assume that an alternate reality is even possible then why did he have to round them up one by one to take them on the "camping" trip
If this indeed happend in a parallel or alternate reality and he (Des)was seeing the "puzzle" /"flashes" of what has happend before, then why did he round them up.
Shouldn't this have been something that was already planned and done?  They should have been there (where the parachute dropped)for whatever other reason other than Desmond rounding them up.
Because in a sense if he rounded them up the series of events to follow would have to be different than his visions since the beginning was "planned or "staged" also.
I hope that made sense...

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: If an alternate reality is true then why....
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 11:43:11 AM »
you're making the assumption that the events he saw would have happened even if he hadn't seen them.  Confusing, I know!  This is exactly why I HATE bringing time travel and things such as this into a show already complicated enough.

The thought is, would the future he saw have EVER even happened had he not seen it?  I say no.  There was no reason for them to have gone to the cable or on the camp out or any of that if Desmond didn't see the vision. 

And as the great Yoda once said, "difficult to see.  Always in motion is the future."  I just don't see how the events Desmond is seeing could truely be from the future.

Now, an alternate universe would be different.  It could have a  whole different set of rules, an entirely different past, and no real connection to our universe.  But would the writers really go there?  God I hope not!  That could be more confusing than time travel.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 11:47:43 AM »
I think that you are getting a demonstration how Ben works in this episode.  He sees a series of events and all he has to do is round up the crew, screw around with some people's heads, and wallahh!

Desmond was only trying to keep all the pieces of the puzzle together....in contrast to his prior flashback with Penny where he tried to alter a reality.

He had a choice to make....saving short white.

The alternative reality would have been finding the parachutist only later and dead.  Presumably for the final result (Penny) to be in the picture, the parachute lady wouldn't give out info....and the bag with the Sat phone may not have been found.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 11:49:05 AM »
Thanks Astro for putting a different perspective on this for me
I don't think the producers/writters are going with the "time travel or alternate reality" thing either, because I think it would be much too involved for anyone to really understand.  I like the idea myself because it puzzles me but I really don't think they would do that.

But then what do you think his flashes are?
If they are not fragments of something that has come to pass then are you saying that maybe he is making his flashes a reality in some way?

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 11:51:40 AM »
I personally think theres a flux Capicator hidden on the island somewhere that is causing Desmond to time travel and have thoughts of the future!  Theories?

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 11:56:09 AM »
I agree Maxs.  Didn't he have a scar on his head in one episode?  I bet that was from falling off his toilet and banging his head.

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 11:57:36 AM »
I agree Maxs.  Didn't he have a scar on his head in one episode?  I bet that was from falling off his toilet and banging his head.
Excellent Point Bryan!

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 12:01:17 PM »
If they are not fragments of something that has come to pass then are you saying that maybe he is making his flashes a reality in some way?

In a way, yes, I agree.  Perhaps its similar to Walt's apparent ability to manifest his thoughts into reality.  Only the island, or some other force that's in control here, is heightening his ability to see into the past and effect things in his present/future.  Honestly, I got no idea what's going on!  ;)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 01:00:13 PM »
you're making the assumption that the events he saw would have happened even if he hadn't seen them.  Confusing, I know!  This is exactly why I HATE bringing time travel and things such as this into a show already complicated enough.

The thought is, would the future he saw have EVER even happened had he not seen it?  I say no.  There was no reason for them to have gone to the cable or on the camp out or any of that if Desmond didn't see the vision. 

And as the great Yoda once said, "difficult to see.  Always in motion is the future."  I just don't see how the events Desmond is seeing could truely be from the future.

Now, an alternate universe would be different.  It could have a  whole different set of rules, an entirely different past, and no real connection to our universe.  But would the writers really go there?  God I hope not!  That could be more confusing than time travel.

It is an alternate reality.Charlie was suppose to die in the hatch he didn't.Whatever happend with Des allowed him to see the alterante time line.Why would he keep seeing Chalrie die all these different ways? Until he allows Charlie to die,the timeline can not be restored.

I don't feel that in allowing Charlie NOT to die he changed the the futureas Des himself thinks and if Chalrie had died it would have been Penny.it was meant to be"Natomi"all along.She was sent from UP above .

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 01:05:52 PM »
I don't think the producers/writters are going with the "time travel or alternate reality" thing either, because I think it would be much too involved for anyone to really understand.  I like the idea myself because it puzzles me but I really don't think they would do that.

Or something/someone is directing these visions!

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 01:19:46 PM »

exactly see my post below

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 01:21:18 PM »

OOPS! Sorry Addie!  By the way good thread Debbie! :)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 01:26:03 PM »

OOPS! Sorry Addie!  By the way good thread Debbie! :)

Excellent thread Debs as it is very important.Charlie should have said not "where are we/"But "when are we"or "Who are we"
the istening to moonlight sernade with Sayid and Hurley with the radio, time moves differently on the island.......

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 01:43:17 PM »
Yay good point GJ & Rick
thanks  :D

I like the idea of "someone" directing the images

Offline Schmoe

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 02:14:49 PM »

Wasn't it "difficult to see. Always in motion the future is".

Sorry, I am just joking.  It just did not sound like Yoda the other way.