Author Topic: Desmond's Flashbacks  (Read 2709 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Desmond's Flashbacks
« on: April 19, 2007, 01:15:38 AM »
"Am I doin the right thing?" (Desmond)   
"What do you want from me?" (Locke)   
"Part of something greater"  (Juliet)

It is apparent from tonight's flashback that the pull of fate in landing one on the island reaches very far and strongly into the past.  Desmond feels it  when he canels his engagement to Ruth.    A higher calling also was felt by Juliet and, in fact, Desmond's description of his sacrifice sounds very similar to what Juliet experienced.

Now, it would seem to me that the island has chosen a group of people in order to test them and to build character.  One would presume that the Other's may be responsible, but Desmond's case is different.  He quit his engagement and entered a monastary without coercion.  He simply asked a question (see above) and the answer appeared.

So, we are beginning to see how the losties have been channeled towards the island over the course of their lives.  The crash was but a culmination.  My questions are who is doing it?  The Others or somebody else?  Are both the positive and negative events in the Lostie's flashbacks purposeful.....coercion and tests?  Is the show a very grand experiment that has been conducted OFF of the island and not to be completed until they have arrived?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 06:02:58 PM by puff6962 »

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Desmond's Flashbacks
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 06:05:58 PM »
By the way, these are the words of the song that Desmond was singing:

well it's a grand ole team to play for/& it's a grand ole team to cheer/& if/you know/you're 'istory/it's enough to make a heart go/****-the-whatever you want to put here/we don't care what the animals say/what the hell do we care/for we always know/that there's gonna be a show/& the Glasgow Cel'ic will be there/will be there/will be here/there/& every ****in' where/for the Glasgow Cel'ic will be there.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 06:09:08 PM »
"Am I doin the right thing?" (Desmond)   
"What do you want from me?" (Locke)   
"Part of something greater"  (Juliet)

It is apparent from tonight's flashback that the pull of fate in landing one on the island reaches very far and strongly into the past.  Desmond feels it  when he canels his engagement to Ruth.    A higher calling also was felt by Juliet and, in fact, Desmond's description of his sacrifice sounds very similar to what Juliet experienced.

Now, it would seem to me that the island has chosen a group of people in order to test them and to build character.  One would presume that the Other's may be responsible, but Desmond's case is different.  He quit his engagement and entered a monastary without coercion.  He simply asked a question (see above) and the answer appeared.

So, we are beginning to see how the losties have been channeled towards the island over the course of their lives.  The crash was but a culmination.  My questions are who is doing it?  The Others or somebody else?  Are both the positive and negative events in the Lostie's flashbacks purposeful.....coercion and tests?  Is the show a very grand experiment that has been conducted OFF of the island and not to be completed until they have arrived?

Puff great insight, you are asking the same question we all are why were they all brought there.We know it has to do a lot with redemption.

Offline apollo yummy

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 07:08:23 PM »
not sure if people have discussed this yet but...
someone thought that since the monk dude had a picture with the clock lady that he and her are probably connected to dharma somehow...

and since penny came to pick the wine up for her dad, it could prove maybe the connection that charles widmore has with dharma.. like they are all somehow working together to get desmond on the island.. if it was planned all along when desmond was drunk and the monk (sorry forgot his name if they said it), working for dharma, took desmond to lead him to the island...
still dont know exactly why though :-P

Offline The Professor

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 07:51:20 PM »
in the reality that Desmond is in now (ie the island one) when he talked to the clock lady (like literally earlier in time) she was just a regular old lady trying to sell him a ring (most likely).  She is only telling him that the universe corrects itself in his "halicination/time travel back" because (and this is my speculation) she represented the side of desmond that knew he would never be man enough to ask Penny to marry him in his "hallucination/time travel."  The picture on the priests desk could a) be a "funny little coincidence" because thats just how Lost is as everyone knows by now or b) might prove the clock lady more important to desmond than the show has let on.  Personally I don't think that the "real" clock lady has anything to do with Desmond coming to the island and even if she is a magical future flash person like desmond in the "real world", she was probably just tellin' him like it is in the universe.  I don't necessarily think that there is a connection between Dharma and the lady and the priest, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if that is how it turned out.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 11:02:45 PM »
Of course there's a relation between the lady and the priest....she's in the one picture that is on her desk.  The question that has to be asked is whether the priest/head monk dude is playing a similar role in guiding Desmond's destiny.  And, if so, how did whoever or whatever know to make the priest/head monk do so?  Furthermore, since we now have two people in on it, whose to say that Penny isn't a part of the whole deal?  Juliet has been shown to be incredibly duplicitous, why can't Desmond's love interest?  Finally, this brings to mind the question.....are all of the characters in the flashbacks actors in a very large play or very large experiment (depending upon how you look at it) similar to "The Game" with Michael Douglas?  Are those who are "not on the list" those who have either failed the test or those who lack insufficient conditioning to become Other's with access to a magic box?

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 12:37:28 AM »
What about the fact that in Des's flashback at the chute(which is silver) Charlie is still there assisting(even though the previous flashback he was killed)....just like in the original ending...

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 12:42:04 AM »
(I combined a couple of posts).

I believe the flashes may have come from similar realities, but not necessarily from a single one.  Thus, Desmond could see Charlie next to the parachute in addition to seeing him die. 

This combination is necessary for Desmond to employ free will as he is allowed choice in using the images.  I again think that Ben has some form of the same gift and that is why things just always seem to work out for him.  He's kinda like Seinfeld in the episode where Jerry always comes out "even."

If Desmond saw a number of flashes all of which led to Charlie's death, then there would be any neither choice or sacrifice.  Desmond was not asked to sacrifice Charlie in the name of the island, but instead was charged with delaying his Reunion with Penny in the name of Charlie.

I think that the magic box is a concentration of the phenomenon that we have already witnessed.  In other words, there are places on the island where the precognition and other effects we have seen become more amplified.  The location may allow the ultimate transition in which the flashes themselves become more encompassing and exist as realities in their totality.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 07:52:56 PM »
I got this from Laura at Lostcast.com.  She has done a review of possible Stephen King references in Lost.  The latest may have been the trek of four men through the woods looking for somebody (The Body).

Anyway, pretty good article.  What I was most interested in was her discussion of the potential links to The Dark Tower series.  Here is her stuff:

"The cards told Roland he would come to a door on the beach and meet the first person he would draw into his team or ka-tet (a group of people bound strongly together in all ways - growing to the point of being able to know the safety of each other at all times even if separated (a Rose... and the Rose is a symbol of all that is good in the Tower series)... The first person is Eddie Dead. When Roland comes to the door just standing there in the sand with the words "The Prisoner" on it, he opens it and finds himself inside of Eddie's body. He is aware of the separate selves in the one body. Eddie is not at first. He just feels strange thoughts."

Is this the source of Desmond's flashes?  Is Desmond only Desmond?