Author Topic: Jin's Ghost Story  (Read 11203 times)

Offline Ailiu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sun's Ghost Story
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 05:01:33 PM »
Does anybody speak Korean.....I've got to know what he said.
I have a cousin by marriage who's from South Korea. ;)  But she doesn't watch Lost.  Sorry.

I loved that scene; it was just so funny.  And the way Jin told the story was perfect-- he was good at just making it sound scary even though no one there knew what the heck he was saying.  ;D

Hurley know some words the same way Jin knows english, They spent 82 days together. It's bound to rub off a little.
Or he mistook something Jin said.  Either way it's still funny.

I wonder what ghost story has a bird in it...  Maybe a popular Korean ghost story?

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Jin's Ghost Story
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 05:13:49 PM »
Jins ghost story was about a dragon, since dragons are from Korea. Another intresting thing that might tie this in is the 4-toe statue. In Korea and the orient dragons have 4 toes. Not to say that Jins funny campfire story might not have been about the man with a hook for a hand. But maybe we can see a bit further into this. The "bird" that everyone keeps mentioning is actually a dragon possibly. The Koreans myth on dragons actually talk of a small green dragon that can speak.
Just a thought......

Offline apriori

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 05:16:44 PM »
If somebody could get me a youtube of it or something I could try and have a Korean friend/friend who lives in Korea translate it.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 05:21:56 PM »
I'm getting a pedicure a little later today.  Ouch.  That was bad, so sorry!

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 09:29:40 PM »
I'm getting a pedicure a little later today.  Ouch.  That was bad, so sorry!
was it bad because of the racial joke, or that you get pedicures...I say both

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 10:52:16 PM »
both.

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
How about we make up what we think he was saying! lol

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 12:21:25 PM »
How about we make up what we think he was saying! lol
sounds good to me.

Offline dkim68

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2007, 04:19:50 AM »
Hi, I'm new here, and I'm Korean. I translated Jin's story as best I could. Here it is:

(little girl's voice) “Thank God. I was frightened you’d left because I double-crossed you.”
(Jin narrating) After hearing this, the man smiled and said,
(man's voice) “Don’t worry, dear girl. You should know that I have… A HOOK FOR A HAND!!!”

Also, we hear Jin finishing up the story but I did not hear anything about the bird which Hurley mentions. Perhaps the bird was mentioned earlier on and they just didn't show that part. I'm sure Hurley is right about a bird being part of the story.

The Korean word for bird is seh. Pronunced with an "s" sound then switching to "heh". "s-heh". To say it properly you shouldn't pause between "s" and "heh", just say it all together like one word.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2007, 07:32:25 PM »
Hi, I'm new here, and I'm Korean. I translated Jin's story as best I could. Here it is:

(little girl's voice) “Thank God. I was frightened you’d left because I double-crossed you.”
(man's voice) “Don’t worry, dear girl. You should know that I have… A HOOK FOR A HAND!!!”

Also, we hear Jin finishing up the story but I did not hear anything about the bird which Hurley mentions. Perhaps the bird was mentioned earlier on and they just didn't show that part. I'm sure Hurley is right about a bird being part of the story.

The Korean word for bird is seh. Pronunced with an "s" sound then switching to "heh". "s-heh". To say it properly you shouldn't pause between "s" and "heh", just say it all together like one word.
thanks!  (even though the story doesn't really make sense to me :-\)  welcome to the site.

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2007, 08:54:14 PM »

I liked it better when he was speaking Korean and tellin it lol

Thank you dkim!!! Welcome.

Offline dkim68

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 12:29:55 PM »
I agree, it does seem strange. First, why would the girl be glad to see someone she deceived? And if she knew him well enough to feel that way about him why wouldn't she know he had a hook for a hand? But... that's what he said.  :D

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 01:00:40 PM »
Ya, the story is contrived....obviously meant to be an egg.  (Remember in the Man From Tallahassee, the television show before Locke in his apartment was Expose and the dialogue was similar to the whispers....he's one of us, i can get him).

The reference of a girl being glad to see someone whom she had deceived is an allusion to Sun's relationship with Jin.  There has been a deception there yet they remain together.  It might also foreshadow a deception that is coming....Juliet, Naomi, etc.

The line regarding a hook for a hand obviously means that the one armed Dharma scientist is going to make an appearance soon!

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 04:56:38 PM »
This is what Jin's ghost story was about.

"And the girl turned to the man who saved her and said , 'Thank God. I was afraid you were the Hook Man.' And the man looked at the girl with a smile and said, 'Don't worry, little girl. My hook is....STILL IN YOUR FATHER'S HEAD!"

Pretty cool........     ;D

Offline dkim68

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 03:18:33 AM »
This is what Jin's ghost story was about.

"And the girl turned to the man who saved her and said , 'Thank God. I was afraid you were the Hook Man.' And the man looked at the girl with a smile and said, 'Don't worry, little girl. My hook is....STILL IN YOUR FATHER'S HEAD!"

Pretty cool........     ;D
Yeah, I entered that into Lostpedia the other day. What's odd about that translation is that Jin never says this part: "And the girl turned to the man who saved her and said,". Also, I don't hear her referring to the man as the "Hook Man". I need to listen to Jin again to double-check my translation as I may be wrong about the part with the father's head. I do think the version you posted is pretty cool.