Author Topic: Was Charlie suppose to die?  (Read 13065 times)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Was Charlie suppose to die?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 02:11:15 PM »
Charlie was suppose to diein the hatch implosion,now the time line is all askew and whomever is controlling the island,Smokey,dharma ben,Widmore has Des seeing flashes of chalrie's death -how many times would Chalrie die- it's an awful lot- proving that once Charlie does and Des does not interfere the time line of theisland will be restored.

Offline Ailiu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 04:33:38 PM »
Alright this is now really bugging me with all the Isac and Abraham talk.
Is charlie a possible saint or desciple?
 - flashes of his mother, Claire, and Arron on beach looking holy
 - charlie's mother says, " you are going to save us."
there is to much for me to think that Charlie is somehow tied into all this somehow.
Maybe he's supposed to be a marytr?  Having a death like that would certainly make him more important in the show. ;)

Not that I want him to die...  I like the humour he adds to the show.  He's no different from the other characters who are not featured as much anymore. 

Before, I didn't really care whether Charlie lived or died, but this episode made me glad it didn't happen and I hope it doesn't happen.  This episode made me sympathize with him.  I don't have anything against the character or actor, and I hope they build on his character now instead of killing him off. 
I agree; the epsiode made me feel sorry for Charlie.  He was completely unaware of Des's vision and was a bit relunct to go in the first place.  I didn't want to see him die.

And Des seemed so willing to let Charlie die too... just because he thought he would be seeing Penny again or that she could rescue them or whatever.  I have to say the writers built up the tension well in this episode.  I didn't think Des had what it takes to actually kill someone (or let someone die) though; he seemed too freaked out when he accidently killed Kelvin.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 04:50:32 PM by Ailiu »

Offline Hudson

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 04:43:54 PM »
Just a couple comments, hope I don't offend.

One of the common driving factors of this thread are "If a character isn't useful anymore, they should die?". Wow, thats harsh!  Can't a person step onto the sideline for a while?

Secondly, I've noticed things are often Cyclical in this show. Like, claire's abduction was HUGE earlier on, and then no one even thought about it in the show (Like, when Jack was in the glass walled room / cage, why didn't he press Ben for that peice of information when they chatted, I sure would have!) and now, lo and behold, claires abduction has become central to the story once more, hand in hand with the new "fertility problem" on the Island.

My opionion is just because charlie is not apparently that key to the show right now, doesn't mean that things won't cycle and he won't be very important again in the future, and even if he doesn't, I'd gladly let him stay around : )

Just my two bits.  Peace.

D

Offline Ailiu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2007, 04:53:43 PM »

One of the common driving factors of this thread are "If a character isn't useful anymore, they should die?". Wow, thats harsh!  Can't a person step onto the sideline for a while?
I agree with you on that.  Vincet is hardly seen anymore-- he didn't appear this season at all until like Feburary.  Does that mean he should die too? 

Offline zappa1

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2007, 05:23:37 PM »
maybe he is supposed to sacrifice what he thinks will be good for him(penny) to save Charlie.
Charlie will do something important before he dies and it. That something may never have gotten done if Des had let him die by the lightning strike.

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2007, 06:01:04 PM »
I was reading an article and it got me thinking.
I believe that the island is trying to save Charlie, rather than killing him, giving the flashbacks to Desmond.
Besides, prehaps he should of died when Ethan got hold of him.
Surely this should mean Charlie will have a big role within the storyline plot in the near future, or he would be buried in the beach with all the other bodies.

Offline Ailiu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 06:16:03 PM »
I don't think the Island cares one way or the other.  I doubt the Island demands a sacrifice at any rate;surely by now it has had enough deaths to satisfy itself for many seasons.

Thinking about it that way makes me think of those old jokes about primitive tribes always needing to sacrifice virgins to appease their gods and land. :D  Maybe Charlie's spared in that regard then. ;P

Anyways more seriously, yes I do think Charlie will have a big role in upcoming epsiodes.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 06:55:48 PM »

I agree with you on that.  Vincet is hardly seen anymore-- he didn't appear this season at all until like Feburary.  Does that mean he should die too? 

Vincent died in the plain crash and what we see of him now is Smokie in vincents body.  (sorry I have to post my theory whenever i get a chance to.)

Offline Ailiu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »

Vincent died in the plain crash and what we see of him now is Smokie in vincents body.  (sorry I have to post my theory whenever i get a chance to.)

Lol, okay then why doesn't Smokie use Vincent's body much anymore? :D 

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2007, 07:36:23 PM »
Here is a question to your question?
When Charlie had his flashback there was a scene where Charlie's mother says, " You are going to save all of us."
I think that "YES" Charlie will be a huge part of the LOST storyline
And "NO" the island doen't need a sacrifice.
Is it maybe possible that Charlie could be actually a saint?
This just brings me back to the visions on the beach of Charlie's mother, Claire, and Arron.
Puzzled even more.........

Offline Gilgar

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
The whole thing about charlie seeing claire and his mother dressed like saints or the virgin mary or whatever had to do with his "test" from the island, which was to get rid of the statues with the heroin inside. He just mis-interpreted it as Aaron having to be baptized. I don't think it has anything to do with charlie being a saint
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:52:23 PM by Gilgar »

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2007, 12:04:35 AM »
When this epi opened with Charlie holding hands with Aaron, my first thought was 'Is Charlie the one that is supose to raise Aaron?'

thats what I thought of

This was a neat idea,

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2007, 09:26:25 AM »
I think Charlie's role on the Island is a bit like Doctor Who's assistants.. they are there to ask questions, to be the one that has things done to them, the one to be saved each episode. He will be killed off eventually, I think we all can see that - but in the meantime he will serve as the vessel through whom the story will progress, deepen and unfold, and will allow other characters to act out their stories with his help.

Cripes that sounded profound.... still think he shoud die.... and soon!!

;)

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2007, 02:24:41 PM »
I don't think the Island cares one way or the other.  I doubt the Island demands a sacrifice at any rate;surely by now it has had enough deaths to satisfy itself for many seasons.

Thinking about it that way makes me think of those old jokes about primitive tribes always needing to sacrifice virgins to appease their gods and land. :D  Maybe Charlie's spared in that regard then. ;P

Anyways more seriously, yes I do think Charlie will have a big role in upcoming epsiodes.

Remember: Boone was the sacrifice that the island demaned. maybe it want's another one with Charlie.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2007, 04:42:12 PM »
The Island is getting greedy then. It just had its previous sacrifice (Eko)