Author Topic: The Helicopter  (Read 18411 times)

Offline TXFlyboy

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: The Helicopter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 12:43:04 AM »
maybe i am mistaken but how often do helicopters fly over the ocean? can they really sistain flight for that long? are there more people close by? why did the helicopter crash? any ideas, cause im a little dumb founded. Think the others saw it and shot it down?
Helicopters normally do not have a very long range, however they can be fitted with mid-air refueling systems.  Many military rotorcraft have this ability now.
So - yes they can and do - i.e. the Coast Guard, yes if they are refueled mid air they can sustain flight as long as there is fuel.

Offline Kurtis

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 12:44:04 AM »
Of course helicopters can fly over the ocean. Haven't you ever seen Magnum P.I.?

Offline LOST N LOST

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 12:46:01 AM »
Of course helicopters can fly over the ocean. Haven't you ever seen Magnum P.I.?

but mid ocean? and one man(women) helicopter? There is more to the search party i think/

Offline TXFlyboy

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 12:47:40 AM »
YES it is possible, I think what you're asking is if it's plauseable.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 12:48:36 AM »
Likely more people on the helicopter, but it does not mean they survived.

Offline Kurtis

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 12:51:21 AM »
This is Lost, so of course someone died in the apparent crash. I am sure we will find out more about the parachutist in the next couple weeks. Of course, I am sure there will be just as many questions raised as answered!

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 12:51:40 AM »
YES it is possible, I think what you're asking is if it's plausible.
Nothing is impossible, just highly improbable, LOL.

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 12:53:01 AM »
Not if launched by an off shore yatch!

I repeat

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2007, 12:56:41 AM »
most helicopters off yachts are smaller in size and used for several mile trips that dont need a parachutist or pilot to wear a breathing aparatus and flight suit! this helicopter im guessing was of the life gaurd type with a range of several hundred miles which im also going to assume was on a doomed ONE WAY trip to where penny and her search team had narrowed down dez to be!

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2007, 12:57:35 AM »
Did anybody catch Hurley's comments regarding the sounds the helicopter was making?  THERE WAS THE SOUND OF THE MONSTA IN THE BACKGROUND.

You can jump from a helicopter, but there would be no need for a pressurized suit and the positive pressure ventilation she was fitted with.  Also, a person jumping from the helicopter would free fall for a time to avoid the rotors....her glide path would therefore occur over lower altitude and it would be unlikely that she would have landed inland.

My conclusion, the helicopter crashed and a lady parachuted in two separate events.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2007, 12:59:06 AM »
I did not here the monster at all in that scene.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2007, 01:09:29 AM »
Penny did say that with enough money, anyone could be found.  She must have gotten a big boat with helicopter accessibility and went looking for the signal her two Portugese men found.  Didn't the woman have the same kind of satelite phone that the two guys used to phone Penny?

Offline idjpg85

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2007, 04:22:58 AM »
neither are humans...aka mikail

I don't wanna start any rumors but.... Mikhail had a belly button ring.

Offline AGGS

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2007, 07:24:35 AM »
Did anybody catch Hurley's comments regarding the sounds the helicopter was making?  THERE WAS THE SOUND OF THE MONSTA IN THE BACKGROUND.

You can jump from a helicopter, but there would be no need for a pressurized suit and the positive pressure ventilation she was fitted with.  Also, a person jumping from the helicopter would free fall for a time to avoid the rotors....her glide path would therefore occur over lower altitude and it would be unlikely that she would have landed inland.

My conclusion, the helicopter crashed and a lady parachuted in two separate events.

Maybe the helicopter had to be flown high enough to allow the chick the drop "into" the island or something, possibly meaning air was thinner with less oxygen etc??

musepsycho

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2007, 07:27:02 AM »
Did anybody catch Hurley's comments regarding the sounds the helicopter was making?  THERE WAS THE SOUND OF THE MONSTA IN THE BACKGROUND.

You can jump from a helicopter, but there would be no need for a pressurized suit and the positive pressure ventilation she was fitted with.  Also, a person jumping from the helicopter would free fall for a time to avoid the rotors....her glide path would therefore occur over lower altitude and it would be unlikely that she would have landed inland.

There definitely were some strange sounds from that helicopter, but I think they were the sounds of the helicopter malfunctioning, hence it crashed. But I too wondered about it & had to watch a second time.