Author Topic: How Does The Parachutist Know Desmond?  (Read 13450 times)

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
Re: How Does The Parachutist Know Desmond?
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2007, 12:48:09 PM »
its a spoiler I think

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2007, 01:27:22 PM »
Because she hired them to find Desmond, they called her at the end of season 2

or she was sent by Ben who works with Widmore and Dharma.
What does one snowman say to the other? Is the parachutist Desmond's hatch replacement?

Is she in response to Locke's "enter 77?"

or Did Penelope us daddy's resources to find him. "With enough money...."
or Are they're all tangled up into one.

Offline rjm.barnes@hotmail.co.uk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2007, 01:35:13 PM »
Is she in response to Locke's "enter 77?"

Wow that'll open up whole new can of worms. Excellent idea - --- I hope the writers are taking note ;)

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2007, 02:04:32 PM »
When I first heard a spoiler of a parachutist I though DHARMA would send someone to investigate the "incursion by the hostiles." That would've made sense. But the chutist has a portuguese book matching her up with Penny's artic explorers.

I don't think the idea that she's Desmond's replacememnt for the hatch is too far fetched. She comes with basically the same personal affects that Desmond came with and in a similar fashion. Could she be the guy he was expecting when Locke opened the hatch?
If Widmore and Dharma send her to replace Desmond, Des can return to Pen. (If Locke hadn't blown up the submarine).

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2007, 04:23:36 PM »
Is the parachutist's name a spoiler OR DO WE ACTUALLY KNOW HER NAME FROM THE SHOW?

If it is a spoiler, PLEASE put it in spoiler tags.
IMDB already lists a credit for Naomi...

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2007, 04:43:59 PM »
What if the parachutist was Penny but her transition across the island's barrier (or whatever) caused her to become physically different?  Desmond could date two women in one.  What if the Penny that was able to cross into the island came from a differing reality than that of the bag that dropped with the white Penny in the photo? 

I have long diatribed about certain inconsistencies in certain character's flashbacks....particularly Locke's.  If we go by the reverse bush (that sounded bad) notion of quantum threads...many realities converging into one...then it is possible that Desmond met this beautiful girl Penny and in a certain reality....she is black!  Same person in every other way, but black.  Of course, this would mean that the bag found in the tree came from a separate reality of an identical, but white, Penny.  Hence, the desprepancy in the photo and the parachutist.

It would be like Superman and Bizarro Superman (I loved that Seinfeld episode).  Ha.  What a mind$%#&!

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2007, 04:49:56 PM »
When I first heard a spoiler of a parachutist I though DHARMA would send someone to investigate the "incursion by the hostiles." That would've made sense. But the chutist has a portuguese book matching her up with Penny's artic explorers.

I don't think the idea that she's Desmond's replacememnt for the hatch is too far fetched. She comes with basically the same personal affects that Desmond came with and in a similar fashion. Could she be the guy he was expecting when Locke opened the hatch?
If Widmore and Dharma send her to replace Desmond, Des can return to Pen. (If Locke hadn't blown up the submarine).
HEY!! Thats a good thought!
We never did think of  Desmond's replacement.

But I thought that Des was sorta forgotten and not really "official"
and kind of just kept pressing the button for Kelvin because he had no idea what would happen if he didn't and so nobody really knew he was there, so why would they send someone to replace him?
And if they were sending a replacement for Kelvin then she would have said Desmonds name
Unless I'm wrong...

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2007, 11:10:11 AM »
What if the parachutist was Penny but her transition across the island's barrier (or whatever) caused her to become physically different?  Desmond could date two women in one.  What if the Penny that was able to cross into the island came from a differing reality than that of the bag that dropped with the white Penny in the photo? 

I have long diatribed about certain inconsistencies in certain character's flashbacks....particularly Locke's.  If we go by the reverse bush (that sounded bad) notion of quantum threads...many realities converging into one...then it is possible that Desmond met this beautiful girl Penny and in a certain reality....she is black!  Same person in every other way, but black.  Of course, this would mean that the bag found in the tree came from a separate reality of an identical, but white, Penny.  Hence, the desprepancy in the photo and the parachutist.

It would be like Superman and Bizarro Superman (I loved that Seinfeld episode).  Ha.  What a mind$%#&!
but wouldn't her name still be penny (because that's what desmond knows her as) not naomi?

HEY!! Thats a good thought!
We never did think of  Desmond's replacement.

But I thought that Des was sorta forgotten and not really "official"
and kind of just kept pressing the button for Kelvin because he had no idea what would happen if he didn't and so nobody really knew he was there, so why would they send someone to replace him?
And if they were sending a replacement for Kelvin then she would have said Desmonds name
Unless I'm wrong...

i kind of like the "replacement" idea.  although my favorite is that she was sent to the island by penny.  i think naomi is part of the "expedition" we saw at the end of season 2, hence the portugese novel.  once they saw the "error" message, they sent in someone to find out what happened.  (that was only 3 weeks ago wasn't it??)

Offline Stardom009

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2007, 11:31:05 PM »
yep all you guys are wright she was send after noticing the island by the portugese guys (all part off the group that penny made in search for desmond) and you guys no way she is the replacement. no freakin way that would be so lame. i hope she is alive but you know then she would tell to much info ar maybe her last words are going to be that penny is searching for him, so he knows. that would be cool   

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2007, 10:49:06 AM »
yep all you guys are wright she was send after noticing the island by the portugese guys (all part off the group that penny made in search for desmond) and you guys no way she is the replacement. no freakin way that would be so lame. i hope she is alive but you know then she would tell to much info ar maybe her last words are going to be that penny is searching for him, so he knows. that would be cool   

I agree. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. The obvious conclusion is that she was sent by Penny to find Desmond. I submit as evidence:

• Desmond's vision - every indication was that his vision was related to him thinking Penny was coming to the island. His visions were incomplete, and somewhat manipulated by him actually trying to recreate them, but it stands that all pieces of the puzzle point to Penny (including the Parachutist).
  • The woman appears to be Portugese (book title). So, it would be a HUGE coincidence to me that Desmond's replacement and/or someone sent by the Others would just HAPPEN to be Portugese - same as the men working for Penny to find Desmond.
  • The woman called Desmond's name. As far as anyone should know, Kelvin would be the person to come and replace in the Hatch. The Others didn't appear to be very aware of Desmond at all. As far as we know, Kelvin didn't have any contact with Dharma. So if the parachutist were a replacement for the number punching, she'd say "Kelvin."

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2007, 02:31:55 AM »
She did say Desmond's name. She was sent for him.

However, Kelvin was involved with Dharma he pushed the button. We don't know that he knew the "hostiles" but its very possible considering he knew about Radzinsky's edits to the orientation, and co-wrote the blast door map. He knew where the flame was. He could've sent a message. (If Mikhail didn't shoot him)

What if Pen WIDMORE found out what her father did to Desmond, and with her father's resources found a suitable replacement for Des.
She could be a replacement, a rescue attempt, or just sending a message for Pen. Widmore would know Desmond was there though.