Author Topic: 2008 Presidential Election Nominations  (Read 45881 times)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Presidential Election Nominations
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 02:33:43 PM »
I'm all for equal rights...blah, blah, blah...yeah we can vote, we are smart...yada, yada, yada, but IMHO, the Presidency is not a woman's job.  Blast away. ;D  

Today you're a WHAT, Thlay? ???  Hokie?

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 02:34:58 PM »
I'm all for equal rights...blah, blah, blah...yeah we can vote, we are smart...yada, yada, yada, but IMHO, the Presidency is not a woman's job.  Blast away. ;D  

Please explain why the Presidency is not a woman's job?

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 02:35:34 PM »
Me TOO!!!!
Forget Cananda to cold! anyone want to join me in the Bahamas? :)

Offline thlaylirah

• OTHERS 
  • DHARMA Scientist
  • Wicked Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 02:39:12 PM »
Me TOO!!!!
Forget Cananda to cold! anyone want to join me in the Bahamas? :)
Uh will you be wearing a thong :P ;)
I guess we'll just have to adjust

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 02:55:42 PM »

My personal feeling on the issue is that the "style & substance" of the government would inevitably be affected.  As progressive as our nation is, to many that consciously or subconsciously hold tradition as important, a woman President would be a distraction.  Aside from the "normal" amount of criticism, compromise, & division that accompanies ANY change in leadership, a social instability would result in this country that could ultimately weaken it. 

Also, statistically, most countries are run by men, & in the interest of international relations, I personally feel that a man as the "leader of the free world" would simply be respected more than a woman.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 02:59:42 PM »
Actually, PL, there are lots of countries ruled by women. (Isn't the Queen a lady? I think she is ;) )

I don't like Giuliani because he is not moderate. I think what this country NEEDS is a moderate President, not an extreme left or right. We need someone who can unite the two halves of this country and fight for what's right. And I think Obama can do this MUCH better than Giuliani.

I have nothing against a woman being President, or anyone being President. I just do not believe that Clinton is the right person for the job. At all.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 03:02:53 PM »
Actually, PL, there are lots of countries ruled by women. (Isn't the Queen a lady? I think she is ;) )
That's why I said "MOST," JB.  Besides- she's doesn't count.  She's just a figure head.  lol  [/sheesh jk, peeps]

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 03:05:10 PM »
That's why I said "MOST," JB.  Besides- she's doesn't count.  She's just a figure head.  lol  [/sheesh jk, peeps]
Love ya, PL ;)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 03:06:12 PM »
Love ya, PL ;)
;D  Even when I open cans clearly marked "WORMS"  ;D

((((((((((JB))))))))))

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 03:07:31 PM »
As long as you leave that can of Whoop-@$$ alone...

((((((((((((JESSI))))))))))

Offline Cardacct

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 03:09:33 PM »

My personal feeling on the issue is that the "style & substance" of the government would inevitably be affected.  As progressive as our nation is, to many that consciously or subconsciously hold tradition as important, a woman President would be a distraction.  Aside from the "normal" amount of criticism, compromise, & division that accompanies ANY change in leadership, a social instability would result in this country that could ultimately weaken it. 

Also, statistically, most countries are run by men, & in the interest of international relations, I personally feel that a man as the "leader of the free world" would simply be respected more than a woman.

So it's not necessarily that a woman couldn't do the job, but perhaps socially the people are ... I don't know how to put it so it doesn't sound rude (not to you)... socially and mentally incapable of recognizing a woman as a leader of the country?  (Similarly leaders from other countries.)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 03:12:26 PM »
As long as you leave that can of Whoop-@$$ alone...

((((((((((((JESSI))))))))))
I don't think I even have one of those in my pantry.  lol  I'm too nice. ::) :)

So it's not necessarily that a woman couldn't do the job, but perhaps socially the people are ... I don't know how to put it so it doesn't sound rude (not to you)... socially and mentally incapable of recognizing a woman as a leader of the country?  (Similarly leaders from other countries.)
Correct.  (I think.  lol)  I think it's less about the woman's ability or competency (as that varies even in men), but more about the potential perception & reception of her leadership.

Offline thlaylirah

• OTHERS 
  • DHARMA Scientist
  • Wicked Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »
The Queen doesnt really run England though.  (running away)
I guess we'll just have to adjust

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 08:35:14 PM »
That's it. I'm moving to Canada. :-\
  :D  Spoken like a true Vietnam era draft dodger!
My grandpa was a Pearl Harbor survivor, my dad was actually in Germany during Vietnam, & my husband served his 8 years (thankfully) in between Desert Storm & 9/11.  But I would pack my bags & head north in a heartbeat if we really had all these crazy women running our country!  LOL

I absolutely, positively 100% PLUS SOME....agree with you. If a woman was running the show here, I'd have to leave.

I can't look ANYWHERE and see two women CONSTANTLY getting along with each other. Imagine if one had the power of a president. Keep imagining that same woman having a little "hormonal" moment and wigging out on her people!

I'm a woman so I can probably say all that without creating a serious meltdown here on SWLS. And I can honestly say, women are wicked and vengeful. Hell hath no fury, right?? I love my SW WOMEN friends, so please don't take it personal. I think I'm just willing to admit what we all try to hide and avoid.  :-\

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2007, 08:54:08 PM »
I was going to add...I realize you didn't say those reasons...that is ALL mine..then I seen your SMALL/FINE print  :D