Author Topic: Favorite Books...  (Read 13825 times)

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Books...
« Reply #180 on: May 31, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »
I chose the Narnia series! Each book is only, like, 100 pages, and I really liked The Magician's Nephew.
I have such fond memories of the Narnia series - my mom used to read them aloud before bed to my brother and me when we were little.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 31, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »
Narnia was good

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2010, 02:20:04 AM »
Okay.... how worthwhile is it to read Narnia now?  I've never read any of the books and only seen the two movies.  I know they're fast reads, but I would hate to dedicate myself if it is really more geared towards... well, someone that's not me.  :-\

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2010, 02:10:32 PM »
Well, I read and loved the first book of the series, and I'm in the middle of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. It's a pre-Harry Potter... um... Harry Potter-esque book, lol. It's an easy read, like you said, but as an adult, you can find layers of meaning in what's happening. It's also pretty funny, and really cute, because the way it's written is like an uncle telling the story to his nieces and nephews. Kind of like The Princess Bride, if you ever read the book. So, it's written to keep anyone, even the most stubborn 5-year-old, entertained, but sneakily complex enough to be enjoyable to peeps like you and me.  :D So I recommend it.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2010, 05:35:44 PM »
Okay.... how worthwhile is it to read Narnia now?  I've never read any of the books and only seen the two movies.  I know they're fast reads, but I would hate to dedicate myself if it is really more geared towards... well, someone that's not me.  :-\
When the kids get a little older this would be a good series to read with them.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2010, 08:12:04 PM »
That's a good thought, ESB.  I could read it first to the kids and then move a few years later into Harry Potter.  (I can't wait to unleash Potter on them, but I know they need to be a little older to get it and appreciate it... especially starting with book 4.)

Jackii - as it were, my wife pretty much calls me a stubborn 5-year old on a daily basis.  Maybe this book IS right for me!  ;D

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2010, 08:43:57 PM »
Don't worry, you're not the only one called a stubborn 5-year-old.  You're in good company.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 09, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »
Hmmm, now that you mention it, that seems like a good reason why I like them, too.  ;D I agree with you guys, it'd be a good series to start with the kids before you dive into Harry Potter with them. Then after Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, lol!

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 09, 2010, 10:30:42 PM »
Narnia well my Matatoe is not old enough yet for the books she still likes Josephine the Dancing Kangaroo but would watch harry in a moment

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2010, 10:55:11 PM »
Ohhhhhh my goodness, Catching Fire is FABULOUS! If you like Harry Potter, or Narnia, or His Dark Materials, or anything with a strong female protagonist, or dystopian post-apocalyptic uprising that's easy to read but still beautifully vivid... pick up Suzanne Collin's The Hunger Games, followed by Catching Fire. The third in the series is Mockingjay, and it comes out in August. I literally read Catching Fire in five hours yesterday. Today I woke up with every intention of rereading the whole thing today.

Offline pauinha6

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 05, 2014, 12:05:06 AM »
Ohhhhhh my goodness, Catching Fire is FABULOUS! If you like Harry Potter, or Narnia, or His Dark Materials, or anything with a strong female protagonist, or dystopian post-apocalyptic uprising that's easy to read but still beautifully vivid... pick up Suzanne Collin's The Hunger Games, followed by Catching Fire. The third in the series is Mockingjay, and it comes out in August. I literally read Catching Fire in five hours yesterday. Today I woke up with every intention of rereading the whole thing today.

i liked the Hunger Games trilogy, i found it well written even tho some characters are not worked on enough and others too much just to kill them next. my biggest problem with the books was the cat and i cannot tell you how much i ugly-cried in the last book, even tho i found it the most boring of the three....
i still recomend the read, liked it very much, but for me book 1 was the best :)
and no where close to my Harry Potter series #1 in my list :) which im re-reading (again) now