Author Topic: Submarine in a lake?  (Read 11655 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Submarine in a lake?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 12:42:24 PM »
"The Jaunt!"  I had been trying to remember the title and where I had read that.  I referred to the story in a post in the last couple of weeks.....with the idea that the sub doesn't move.  Instead it is a metal hull wrapped by the conductive water required in an acme teleporter (see Buggs Bunny...Coyote Supergenius series).

Many thanks to Mr. theBean.  A teleporter that works instantaneously by requires its participants to be anesthetized....Is there anything that Stephen King has not written.  I was thinking that was from some Analog science fiction magazine. 

Anyway, it fits all too well.

What kind of sub can have rust arount it's hatch seal and dive?  The devil is in the details.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 01:07:30 PM »
My pleasure. And it's Ms. Thebeann!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 02:15:28 PM »
"The Jaunt!"  I had been trying to remember the title and where I had read that.  I referred to the story in a post in the last couple of weeks.....with the idea that the sub doesn't move.  Instead it is a metal hull wrapped by the conductive water required in an acme teleporter (see Buggs Bunny...Coyote Supergenius series).

Many thanks to Mr. theBean.  A teleporter that works instantaneously by requires its participants to be anesthetized....Is there anything that Stephen King has not written.  I was thinking that was from some Analog science fiction magazine. 

Anyway, it fits all too well.

What kind of sub can have rust arount it's hatch seal and dive?  The devil is in the details.

Lou had posted some similarities to this story in another thread. 

Question- why would only Juliet have to be drugged for the journey?  Ethan is the only other one that we have reason to believe accompanied her for the full trip.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 03:27:33 PM »
Is the sub called the galaga?  Why would they take a sub to intercept a sailboat?

The way to the island is not by land, air, or sea.  Otherwise, somebody would have found it.  How did a Beechcraft model 80 ever fly to, let alone over, the south pacific?  How and why did they keep Juliet drugged for what must have (even by air) been a 24 hour trip?  If they took the sub, or even a plane, what could she have seen that would have offered her a means of escape?  Hell, their own people can't find the place.  Na, the rough trip refers to the mental state induced by what she took.  To knock somebody out for a day, you use a barbituate (side effects drowsiness, respiratory suppression).  To induce an altered mental state requiring restraint....you toss in some LSD (side effects BLOOD PRESSURE, dry mouth/HOARSENESS, and the feeling of waking up on a strange island).

Those Dharma people were experimenting with all kinds of stuff and it's time we add LSD into the mix.

The sub never moves.  Look at the rust around it's hatch.
S3E@- Colleen's team reaches the sailboat undetected (by watchful Sayid & Jin hidden in the trees on the beach) & shows up on the deck DRY.  These seem to be the biggest indicators that they used the sub on that mission.
Also in season 2, Charlies "flashback/dope dream" you see the plane crash in the background...

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 03:54:02 PM »
why couldn't the sub be in a lake?  maybe they take the plane to a certain location, ON ISLAND, then take the sub accross the lake.  it makes sense to me as a possiblity.  it would be easier to take a sub across a large lake than to walk around the lake.  i know what you are thinking, "why not a boat then?"  maybe for some reason they want to be submerged, so no one see's them (or nothing...  the moster).  maybe it is a lake in the middle of the island, the FLOATING island.  (who's theory was that?  that the island is like alcatraz and floating rather than anchored?)  they have to take the sub UNDER the outer edge of the island and come up in the lake in the middle.  (sort of like  a donut floating in the ocean.)
Don't forget that they used the sub to take Desmond's boat which was on the ocean so there has to be either an underwater passage to a lake or the sub was just in a sheltered cove that had an opening to the ocean.

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 05:17:23 PM »
You don't see all sides of the inlet/bay/lagoon/whatever, so we don't know if there in another way into the "bay." 

In the back ground of the sub and Juliette, do you see Pine trees??
(not the mountain view but the view from the dock to the sub and across the bay.)
Does anyone know if there are pine trees in Hawaii??

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 05:19:13 PM »
I don't think there are any Pine trees in HI... Pines don't do so well in tropical zones.

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 05:24:37 PM »
I don't think there are any either but aren't those pines in the background of that shot?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 05:25:58 PM »
Can you post the pic you're thinking of?

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 05:31:29 PM »
I couldn't post it is I wanted to!!!  For many reasons!!

I am at work is the easiest reason I can give though.  LOL

(Juliette crawls out of the sub and behind her you see the other side of the "bay" and the trees there look like pines.)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 05:42:27 PM »
Could you post a link to the thread that has it if it's on the site, and if not, maybe to the pic itself and I'll put it up here.

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 06:01:22 PM »
I cant find the pic on the site, but there is the pic that has Juliette in the foreground and the mountains(that someone said looked like there was something spelled on them) in the background.  It is right before that when she is still standing up on the sub.

I don't record the show on my computer to save the images, so I am not sure how else you would get the pic.  sorry.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 06:30:10 PM »
Well, I'll try to find one... it's hard to have a convo about something when it isn't in view.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 06:31:48 PM »
Is this the pic?

Offline Chefpyro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2007, 08:57:38 PM »

Maybe this one