Author Topic: Fertility issues  (Read 10853 times)

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Fertility issues
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2007, 04:25:30 PM »
Ok, here's some things I thought would be interesting to put here.

First of all, when sperm counts are higher, it also means that testosterone levels are higher.  (this could account for the behavior in such men as Ryan, and other Others, that are seemingly aggressive)

Women also produce testosterone, but in smaller levels than men.  When a woman's testosterone level is high, she is infertile.  She also will start to show "male" symptoms like a deeper voice, hair growth on body (similar to that of men), shifting of cental body mass, and gaining a more muscular structure.  Also, during conception and fertilization of the ovum, testosterone is needed to carry the Y chromosome to produce a male embryo.

What is confusing to me is that the levels of testosterone must be higher on the island if the sperm count is higher, but none of the women are showing signs of their levels being higher.  Danielle has been on the island for 16 years, and all kidding aside please, she is still feminine looking and sounding, as are the rest of the women we know of.  Juliet is still feminine, too. 

So what could be on the island that is selective about:

1. Choosing only humans for fertility issues.
2. Choosing only men for higher testosterone levels

What is really puzzling is this little news tidbit I found today:

The condition: Despite repeated reassurances from the FCC to the contrary, those invisible electromagnetic fields (EMFs) emitted by cell phones, Wi-Fi networks and other wireless devices are being blamed for a whole host of health problems, including nausea, upset stomachs, tinnitus, brain fog and short-term memory loss. The most disturbing charge, however, is the link between cell phone use and dwindling sperm counts.

If the small amounts of EMF's coming from a cell phone cause all this, then what does that say for what should be happening on the island that is appearing to be one huge EMF? 

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2007, 04:45:47 PM »
Aha!  So going along with both ND and LostandSeek, here we have this electromagnetic thing that (possibly) reduces sperm count, and that same mechanism could be the cancer curer (nice idea about it not being able to differentiate between a fetus).  So I would say that the island is trying to counteract these issues by raising sperm count.  Somehow.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2007, 05:17:17 PM »
There is another possibility to this, but I haven't ironed out all the bugs.

When you get your blood typed, you have a little + or - next to the letter(s).  This is your Rh factor.  It doesn't mean anything hardly unless you are a woman.  If a woman is rh + and a man who is rh - fathers a child with her, then problems can exist for the fetus and eventually the woman.  What happens is that, even though mother and baby do not share a blood supply, the mother's body detects the rh - as a foreign body, or basically an infection.  The mother's anti-bodies with attack the fetus, and eventually kill it and cause it to abort.  There are grave complications for the mother, too, if this is left untreated. 

Now normally, this is a very basic thing to treat with an injection to the pregnant mother.  But what if the electromagnism has affected this process greatly??  I realize that the blood samples the others want are for pregnancy tests, but what if they are also wanting it for blood typing??

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2007, 05:30:13 PM »
Ok, I finally found what I was looking for:  This is a quote taken from Puff in the Why Dark Meat thread. 

The effects of magnetic fields also have been observed at a cellular level. A researcher at Cal Tech in Pasadena, California hypothesized that individual cells may possess sensory systems that respond to weak magnetic fields. He noticed that extremely low frequency (ELF) electromagnetic fields change the cellular protein structures, which disrupts the transport of proteins and other substances within the cells. Clearly, disruption of the magnetic field of a cell may ultimately disable it to some degree, and may even cause cell death.

If the body's defenses are not able to neutralize abnormal external magnetic fields, many serious things can happen. Magnetic field exposure could lead to distortion in the cellular production of hormones, various cellular dysfunctions and ultimately, cell death.

Externally created magnetic fields can also interfere with normal cellular activity by creating a "static" that interferes with communication between separate cells and structures within cells. This type of exposure has been seen to interfere with the cell's ability to block disease-causing proteins. Thus, the cell may become more vulnerable to disease-causing invaders such as viruses and bacteria, and to the acceptance of toxic substances.

What I highlighted in red, is what I found most interesting about the info from Puff's source.  The sperm and the egg needed for conception are both considered individual cells.  Maybe this "static" is what is causing the problem with the pregnancies?

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2007, 02:18:51 PM »
Ok, I finally found what I was looking for:  This is a quote taken from Puff in the Why Dark Meat thread. 

The effects of magnetic fields also have been observed at a cellular level. A researcher at Cal Tech in Pasadena, California hypothesized that individual cells may possess sensory systems that respond to weak magnetic fields. He noticed that extremely low frequency (ELF) electromagnetic fields change the cellular protein structures, which disrupts the transport of proteins and other substances within the cells. Clearly, disruption of the magnetic field of a cell may ultimately disable it to some degree, and may even cause cell death.

If the body's defenses are not able to neutralize abnormal external magnetic fields, many serious things can happen. Magnetic field exposure could lead to distortion in the cellular production of hormones, various cellular dysfunctions and ultimately, cell death.

Externally created magnetic fields can also interfere with normal cellular activity by creating a "static" that interferes with communication between separate cells and structures within cells. This type of exposure has been seen to interfere with the cell's ability to block disease-causing proteins. Thus, the cell may become more vulnerable to disease-causing invaders such as viruses and bacteria, and to the acceptance of toxic substances.

What I highlighted in red, is what I found most interesting about the info from Puff's source.  The sperm and the egg needed for conception are both considered individual cells.  Maybe this "static" is what is causing the problem with the pregnancies?

THIS is really cool,