Author Topic: Episode was overhyped, disjointed, and generally dissapointing  (Read 12799 times)

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Overhyped

The big reveal should have been Juliet giving up at least SOME info (even if it was lies) to Sayid and Sawyer who had her cornered WITH GUNS and let her go.  Instead what do they do?  They allow her to just walk away because she knows a secret about them, big whup.  Like the rest of the Losties don't know that Sawyer is a bad guy, and that Sayid has tortured someone?  Hell, he tortured Sawyer right there in their camp, its a KNOWN FACT.

Disjointed

Juliet's sister has cancer, she doesn't have cancer, which is it?  Juliet beleives Ben or she doesn't, which is it?  This show tries to 'outmystery' itself.  Instead of just giving a few answers or let a character for once be even a bit transparent (as we all are as humans), every character has to have 3 sides to their personality and the viewer is left to try to figure out which side- for EVERY circumstance!  This show is tiring to watch at times.

Jack over rules everyone- again.  Even in the most silly of circumstances, the beachies allow Jack to force them to accept someone who has been part of kidnapping, killing, and in general terrorizing them for 3 months.  So much B.S.  And you know if would NEVER happen in real life.  People would be up in arms- screaming, rebelling, and yes, even kicking Juliet's ass as payback.

An "implant" in Claire?  Please, give me a break. I thought this was craphole island in the middle of the Pacific with no resources.  Now we get implants put in someone like they are at the Mayo clinic for an exam?  Man, those Others are really resourceful, aren't they?  Next week we see Gilligan and the Professor make a short wave radio out of a coconut and they get rescued! Yippee!

Dissapointing

The big reveal- Juliet is plotting with Ben...oh my! Never saw that coming!  So, so dissapointing.

The Others can't concieve.  Wow, another big mystery solved.  We all knew that already.  We still don't know why/how.

The only really good part was Mikhail 'at the controls' of the satellite feeds.  Pretty interesting that they were monitoring the crash all along.  I wasn't convinced that the video of Juliet's sister was real or not.  Final thoughts- the episode was poorly written and conceived.  It could have been much better if the characters were really allowed to behave logically... (something that the 1st season lacked as well- there's a monster in the jungle that kills people? Ok, lets go run in the jungle!).

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Episode was overhyped, disjointed, and generally dissapointing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 11:03:48 AM »
Okay, I'm going to just say it...you totally don't get Lost.  They ARE acting exactly like real people act.  They do have three dimensions --at least, and that's probably watering down the characters for TV.  Real people have many facets, and real people change and adapt.  If you want one-dimensioned characters and predictable plots in your TV shows, watch that show that's on before Lost now, or CSI or something like that...Lost is the best show on TV, the best show ever made, the most well written show I've ever seen. 

I found it intriguing that Juliet finds the power within herself to take control of Sayid and Sawyer to get herself out of the situation.  It speaks to the fact that she is a very timid person inside, and she is just trying to survive in the world she's been thrust into.  (I still don't like her, but I appreciate her character for what it is.)

I think Rachel's cancer was to manipulate Juliet and it may have never been true. 

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:16:34 AM »

Okay, I'm going to just say it...you totally don't get Lost.  They ARE acting exactly like real people act
. Yes, I do.  I have 'gotten it' from the start.  Which is why when they try these poorly written deviations from the original theme of the show, they fall short.

They do have three dimensions --at least, and that's probably watering down the characters for TV.  Real people have many facets, and real people change and adapt.
 True if you are in a love triangle or it's not life threatening. But if you are stranded on an island and are facing life and death situations, it's just silly to think that people will behave that way.  90% of the Losties do {should} have one goal in mind and one goal only.  To get the frick off that damn island.  And they should be willing to do anything- ask questions beat up people or kill- to get the answers on how to do that.  When Sayid confronted Juliet last night I said YEAH!! Finally someone is acting like a real human would act in that situation...but no, they let her off again.

If you want one-dimensioned characters and predictable plots in your TV shows, watch that show that's on before Lost now, or CSI or something like that...
Typical sophomoric response.  I posted the reasons why I believe this, it's not taken lightly on my part.

Lost is the best show on TV, the best show ever made, the most well written show I've ever seen. 
Agreed, but it could be much better.

I found it intriguing that Juliet finds the power within herself to take control of Sayid and Sawyer to get herself out of the situation. 
That's not even remotely the point, and shows that you 'don't get it'.  It's not about Juliet- it's about Sawyers and Sayid's RESPONSE.  It's not practical or logical.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 01:15:20 PM »
Just goes to show you, no matter what you do you can't please some people.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 01:33:30 PM »
Its great to get a different perspective!  However I totally disagree with just about every single thing you said.  In fact, I wouldn't even be interested in watching that Lost.  The episode last night is exactly what I watch this show for.  One of the best, IMO.

But as is normal for Lost, none of hardly ever agree, do we?  ;)

Offline Fallybear

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 01:43:58 PM »
T Mack... I share your frustration. I have been critical in the past of the way this story has been layed out. I've said the writers need to speed things up.. But, I thought this was a very good episode compared tp previous weeks. It gave us some answers (I wouldn't mind a few more)

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 01:57:44 PM »
Sawyer and Sayid's response wasn't illogical.  They didn't want to be responsible for Claire dying and how would you react if some stranger started telling you she knows how you hit someone with a car and fled the scene and no one ever found out.  It's very uncomfortable hearing someone recites personal things they know about you that you thought NO ONE knew.  Yeah, everyone knows Sayid was a torturer, but no one knows specific names or specifically what he's done to someone.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 02:25:45 PM »
Just goes to show you, no matter what you do you can't please some people.
I'll bet there's no room for nuance in your life, is there? :P
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 02:35:55 PM by T Mack »

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 02:28:52 PM »
T Mack... I share your frustration. I have been critical in the past of the way this story has been layed out. I've said the writers need to speed things up.. But, I thought this was a very good episode compared tp previous weeks. It gave us some answers (I wouldn't mind a few more)
Thanks for not attacking.  I agree some answers were given, but they were more along the line of the fertility storyline, which doesn't hold a lot of interest for me.  I think the larger questions- who are you people, why, what are you doing, who is Ben, what does the list mean, the hatches, DHARMA, etc. etc. were largely ignored.  And even if you want to save all of the mysteries until the very last episode in 2009 which appears to be what the producers are gunning for, you could have Juliet just tell lies to throw them (us) off, but at least someone is trying to get some answers.

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 02:32:40 PM »
i got ya back tmack.... not to start a whos right or whos wrong war, but to agree that what ive been getting from lost lately hasnt been what fueled my desire to see it each week and rewatch it dvr'd over and over again... i havent seen anything worht slow motioning, im ffw'ding thru a lot of it knowing that its just a scene where jack/juliette/sawyer makes a goofy face or says something that means absoulutely NOTHING to the mystery of lost but more to the mystery of whos in love with who.... i love my lost as much as the next person imho, but its because i love it and its basis for being in a location never seen before and of a plot basis never heard of before that when it becomes like a simple soap opera that i step back and wonder what did i just watch... i too am looking at these last episodes and wondering why dont people just shout WTF is going on here??? grab someone and ram em up against a tree and say TELL ME EVERYTHING NOW!! would i care if someone knew i killed someone, jack knows what kate did and doesnt care so why would i care if he knew what ive done... the people on the beach dont seem to like sawyer so why would he start caring now if they knew he killed a guy, hell he had a good reason and more importantly he was duped.... it just seems as thou this whole show now has come down to we'll wait for jack before we act... we'll get jacks permission before we do anything... in the passed episodes besides the van it doesnt seem like theyve done anything but fish and sleep... hell it seems like the biggest party of level of happiness was when sawyer/des caught a bore.... questions to pound jack about when he got back:-
*wheres locke
*what happened
*who the #### is she and whys she here (juliette)
*this otherville you speak of, shouldnt we move there?
*were runnign out of food, should we go look for another parachute drop?
*did she crash on the island too, if not how did she get here and can we get off this island with her help?
*nikki and paula died, the hatch imploded, we sent a homing pidgeon off, and desmonds acting weird.... hoiw was your day?

if this is how normal people act....then i guess im not normal.....

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 02:34:38 PM »
Sawyer and Sayid's response wasn't illogical.  They didn't want to be responsible for Claire dying and how would you react if some stranger started telling you she knows how you hit someone with a car and fled the scene and no one ever found out.  It's very uncomfortable hearing someone recites personal things they know about you that you thought NO ONE knew.  Yeah, everyone knows Sayid was a torturer, but no one knows specific names or specifically what he's done to someone.
Ummm. Yes it was.  In the larger context of what has happened to the Losties, that they are in an awful situation, they are stranded, many of them have been killed and hurt, and they don't have a clue as to what is going on with them, they have 2 minutes to quiz Juliet and they let it go because they are afraid of some secrets? I don't think so.  Now in a normal situation, I would say you may be right, I wouldn't want some secrets of mine spilled to other people if they weren't flattering to me.  But this is not a normal situation.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 02:58:16 PM »
I dont necessarily think that their actions were because they were thinking, "oh s***, she knows my secrets and is gonna tell someone." 

I took it more like they were a little shocked that she knew such intimate details that no one else did, and it caught them off guard enough, and made her appear almost "above them" in a way.  I mean, here's a chick who's been on a freaking island for god knows how long (from their point of view) and she knows specifics of what they did the night before the plane crashed?  I think it was just enough for her to be able to get under their skin and make them doubt whether that was the right time to question her.  I mean, if she knew that much about them, maybe she did know what she was talking about.  Maybe Claire was in danger of death. 

And tmack, I hope you don't think I was attacking you above.  I disagree with you, yes, but I do still value other points of view.  Hell, Juggy and I are both mods and we hardly ever agree on anything lost related.  Of course, that's because he's always wrong.  ;)

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 03:21:53 PM »
I dont necessarily think that their actions were because they were thinking, "oh s***, she knows my secrets and is gonna tell someone." 

I took it more like they were a little shocked that she knew such intimate details that no one else did, and it caught them off guard enough, and made her appear almost "above them" in a way.  I mean, here's a chick who's been on a freaking island for god knows how long (from their point of view) and she knows specifics of what they did the night before the plane crashed?  I think it was just enough for her to be able to get under their skin and make them doubt whether that was the right time to question her.  I mean, if she knew that much about them, maybe she did know what she was talking about.  Maybe Claire was in danger of death. 

And tmack, I hope you don't think I was attacking you above.  I disagree with you, yes, but I do still value other points of view.  Hell, Juggy and I are both mods and we hardly ever agree on anything lost related.  Of course, that's because he's always wrong.  ;)

Astro, no I don't think that...you're reasons are well thought out and I respect them, but I still disagree.  I realize that Juliette's knowledge was shocking, but let's review what we (Sayid and Jack) know about the Others:

-they've beat us to a bloody pulp
-they lied to us
-they kidnapped us and held us in cages
-they handcuffed us to a swingset for 3 days (and presumably we had to pee and poop on ourselves)
-they have some answers, we're not sure exactly what...

Now let's put those things in the context of our personal situation:

-we're lost and no one is looking for us
-we're stranded
-we've been through some horrific situations (plane crash, dying, etc, etc.)
-we're living on the sand
-mysterious food drops, hatches, smoke monsters, whispers, precognotitive visions, and a crazy French chick are now a part of our daily lives

Would you let her go without demanding some answers?  It's not logical, it just isn't.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 03:46:05 PM »
Overhyped = as always. Happens to every show on TV.

Disjointed = of course, that's Lost in a nutshell.

Disappointing = NEVER!.... Well there could be more female nudity I guess

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 03:53:35 PM »
Ummm. Yes it was.  In the larger context of what has happened to the Losties, that they are in an awful situation, they are stranded, many of them have been killed and hurt, and they don't have a clue as to what is going on with them, they have 2 minutes to quiz Juliet and they let it go because they are afraid of some secrets? I don't think so.  Now in a normal situation, I would say you may be right, I wouldn't want some secrets of mine spilled to other people if they weren't flattering to me.  But this is not a normal situation.

They let Juliette go to Claire because she was right.

Who the F*** are Sawyer and Sayid to start lecturing ANYONE to give up all their personal info right then and there, and to hold Claire's health and LIFE hostage until they do? NONE of the Losties have ever been upfront and honest about a got-damn thing lol...they've kept crap from each other as if it's a requirement for living on the beach or something. When Juliet called them on it, all I could think was "Ouch! She's right!" lol.

Following her to make sure it really was medicine she was getting was a smart thing to do. But they didn't have to corner her right then and there to get their answers. They could do it after she takes the meds to Claire. They could do it the next day. They could do it that night while she's sleeping. They could do it right after their fish and berries dinner buffet. It's not "unrealistic" just because they didn't insist on questions right then and there.