Author Topic: Episode was overhyped, disjointed, and generally dissapointing  (Read 13267 times)

Offline MichiganFan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Episode was overhyped, disjointed, and generally dissapointing
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2007, 11:19:13 PM »
I like this thread. I left rants like this during and after the first six episodes. I've tried to be a lot more patient, and I really love the way the story is starting to play out. My only issue with this latest "twist" is that we are to assume that the Others kidnapped Claire in Season 1, put in an implant, Jack et al were kidnapped, tortured, escaped, returned, were gassed and set free, taking Juliette back with them, so that she would then be able to gain the lostees' confidence by having someone activate the implant so that she could save Claire. (Excuse the brain dump)

Some of the viewers who watch this season on DVD later will probably enjoy it much more because they can get faster answers to the questions that draaaaaaaag on for month and years. Once we find out why Juliette is there for the week (which might be in a few weeks or a few years), it will all make sense and will be very rewarding. Until then, the rest of us just watch and rant, if they so choose. Others love to see how it plays out. To each his or her own.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 01:29:31 AM »
The implant would be placed in Claire for some future use, they did not know it would be for this exact use.

Offline Wardroy

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 07:48:32 AM »
there are many small points we could argue over, but i wonder of it is these points that are frustrating people, or the fact that we are on episode 16 of season 3 and we STILL have NO idea who the others are or what they are doing - so wehen we look at the show as fans we do get frustrated, yes everyone loves lost for what it is, the theme, the mystery, the characters, but i must admit, after 2 and a 1/2 seasons we are only getting very minor answers to certain questions, nothing, NOTHING big has been answered, even now after 50 odd episodes, its time to start giving more answers otherwise more frustration will follow.

In my mind, by now we should know at least who the others are and why there are doing to the losties what they are doing, at least, Jacob, the bigger picture of the island, that can wait, but its about time we got some decent answers instead of being fobbed off with these little answers which, lets be fair, in the grand scheme of everything, are not grand mysteries, they are little sub sub plots clarified

As good as the episodes have been to watch our characters in these situations, the show/ producers must startgiving something back

Tmack, i am in tune with what you are saying, you make a very valid point, and if everyone in here is totally honest with themselves they agree also, i don't believe for one seconod that even the mighty 5 star posters in here are not frustrated on some level, i think this is what we all have in common!

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2007, 10:39:19 AM »
I said earlier that this is the lost that enjoy, and its true.  But you're right, there are certainly frustrations of wanting more answers.  But I just try to accept this as the way its gonna be, so I might as well get used to it.  ;)

But like you said, absolutely I'd love to finally know the WHOLE story of what's going on with the others.  But the writers aren't telling me, so I guess I'm just gonna have to live with it, try to enjoy the show (which I do) and occassionally drop in here for a rant or debate with you guys.

I know this thread has seemed to get a little "hot" at a few points, but its all in good fun.  Debate can be a good thing.  I don't agree with Tmack, but him and some of the others have still made me think about things that I didn't before reading this.  Everyone just try to remember to debate the facts (and theories) and not attack the posters.  Okay, lecture over.  :D  Have fun.

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2007, 11:40:38 AM »
darlin', I have faith that the writers are taking us on a good journey.  I don't try to figure out things that have not been revealed to us yet, because I think we'll find out in time.  If you look back to the mysteries of the show in season one, and look at what we know now, we never saw some of this stuff coming.  I will honestly ;)agree to some point that the show has not paid off like I hope, but I don't really like suspense and I want the immediate payoff.  I ultimately know that it will be worth it...and if it's not worth it in the end, it was only TV afterall. 

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2007, 12:15:03 PM »
I agree. I think they are building up to an end-o-the-season cliff-hanger. Maybe Jacob appears, maybe something to do with Penny Widmore.... I'm willing to be patient. I've enjoyed the ride so far and I'm pretty sure it's not going to drag on past a fifth season, so it should slowly build up to that point methinks. No sense in giving it all away too soon.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »
there are many small points we could argue over, but i wonder of it is these points that are frustrating people, or the fact that we are on episode 16 of season 3 and we STILL have NO idea who the others are or what they are doing - so wehen we look at the show as fans we do get frustrated, yes everyone loves lost for what it is, the theme, the mystery, the characters, but i must admit, after 2 and a 1/2 seasons we are only getting very minor answers to certain questions, nothing, NOTHING big has been answered, even now after 50 odd episodes, its time to start giving more answers otherwise more frustration will follow.

In my mind, by now we should know at least who the others are and why there are doing to the losties what they are doing, at least, Jacob, the bigger picture of the island, that can wait, but its about time we got some decent answers instead of being fobbed off with these little answers which, lets be fair, in the grand scheme of everything, are not grand mysteries, they are little sub sub plots clarified

As good as the episodes have been to watch our characters in these situations, the show/ producers must startgiving something back

Tmack, i am in tune with what you are saying, you make a very valid point, and if everyone in here is totally honest with themselves they agree also, i don't believe for one seconod that even the mighty 5 star posters in here are not frustrated on some level, i think this is what we all have in common!
I'm actually VERY happy with where the show is going and am not frustrated in the least, except the incessant complaining...

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2007, 02:04:41 PM »

I'm actually VERY happy with where the show is going and am not frustrated in the least, except the incessant complaining...

AMEN Brother!  Very well said. 

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2007, 02:20:35 PM »
cuts and pastes ...well said... i agree with you 110%..... so true.... omg i couldnt agree more..... wow your soooo right..... your amazing, very well said! so my posts dont ever seem like there complaining.... must follow the flow and not disturb the balance of things after all...thats what jacob would want of us!

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2007, 04:44:43 PM »
cuts and pastes ...well said... i agree with you 110%..... so true.... omg i couldnt agree more..... wow your soooo right..... your amazing, very well said! so my posts dont ever seem like there complaining.... must follow the flow and not disturb the balance of things after all...thats what jacob would want of us!
LOL (i got it) :D

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2007, 04:55:09 PM »
Jacob is angry!

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »
Mr. Lost
Background Extra

Re: LOL ("Episode everyone will be talking about")
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 11:08:18 PM Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this was the worst lost episode i have ever seen... 

Congratulations......youve just been OWNED
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 05:06:40 PM by ozman776 »

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2007, 05:05:34 PM »
Just to try to wrap this thread up- thanks for everyone's replies. I'm not trying to start trouble.  I love the show and will continue to watch it but feel I have the right to not like certain things about it.  It is a reasonable response.  One doesn't have to 100% love or hate anything in life, and sometimes nuance is good.  That being said, I want to clarify my points.

- Sayid's and Sawyers response WAS NOT LOGICAL...period.  Forget Claire, forget secrets, forget Juliette's stare down capabilities.  If it were YOU and YOU had been attacked and were "Lost", you would not let her walk away from you without challenging her response.  If you say otherwise you are a bald faced liar and you know it.

- Juliette is a liar anyway.  She didn't have to give the correct answers, it would be in keeping with her character.  It was a poorly written scene.  If TBTB didn't want to give away the answers, have her lie, have her refuse, then have Sawyer grab her and demand answers, have Sayid threaten her within an inch of her life...then have her give them a tidbit so they would release her.  You guys who don't see this don't understand that TPTB missed a very important opportunity here- and opportunity to give the fans some information, and perhaps head off a mass defection of the casual viewer who surely at this point is so frustrated they are ready to pitch the TV out of the window.

-Oh what a tangled web we weave.  Lindeloff and his goofy nerd writer friends are adding too many layers of mystery and mulitple personalities to too many actors.  At this point it is becoming impossible to tell what is the true character of a particular actor. Each actor now has 3 personality layers that we must sift through to try to determine their motives.  It's exhausting.  Each action a character takes, no matter how mundane, must now be analyzed by 50 people on the internet to try to figure out their motive.  I get it that Ben is interesting because he's creepy evil and Locke is mysterious, that's good.  But why not just have some characters be themselves?

-The Others are the Geek Squad.  What are they going to come up with next, a Blackhawk Helicopter with Uzi's?  I mean these are the most well tech'd out people in the history of the universe to be living on a deserted island that "can't even be seen by God".  Now they've got mystery implants to go along with their full surgical suite, tasers, full cache of guns, a sonic barrier fence, a sub, and running water and plumbing.  Was Patchy watching the plane crash on 50" Sony plasmas?  I think he was.  This is starting to defy credibility.  And for one reason only, the writers will not allow even just a little payoff for the audience.  Where are they getting all of this stuff- and how does it get there?

Go ahead, bash away.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 05:16:49 PM by T Mack »

Offline Kurtis

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2007, 05:14:27 PM »
For the record, I really liked the episode, and of course I love Lost or I wouldn't be here. But I completely agree with T Mack's post about Sawyer and Sayid's reaction. In fact, I said pretty much the same thing under some other thread. I think we all understand how the show works by now, but the way that scene was handled made me want to throw my TV out the window...if my TV didn't weigh over 100 lbs.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2007, 06:30:11 PM »
- Sayid's and Sawyers response WAS NOT LOGICAL...period.  Forget Claire, forget secrets, forget Juliette's stare down capabilities.  If it were YOU and YOU had been attacked and were "Lost", you would not let her walk away from you without challenging her response.  If you say otherwise you are a bald faced liar and you know it.

But that is your opinion.  The last sentence makes it sound like a fact, but it is nothing more than yours, and possibly many others, opinions.  In the real world there is no way to say that every single person in the world would definitely react THIS way if they were in these conditions.  It just isn't true.  Based on your interpretation of their current situation and experiences, you obviously believe that this was illogical.  And that's fine.  But others, including the writers of this episode, obvious didn't think it was illogical.  Otherwise they wouldn't have done it.
When I was watching the episode, everything that happened in that scene was VERY logical in my mind.  In fact, I rather enjoyed that scene.  After reading your comments in this thread, however, I do see your point.  I still don't necessarily agree with you that it was illogical, but I do see how you could view their situation in a way that it is illogical.  My only real point, I guess, is that I think its very naturally that different people are going to view that very same scene very differently.  Just depends on your approach and view of the circumstance.  And I think people in this thread have pretty effectively debated both sides of the argument as well.  So kudos to everyone.  Well, almost everyone.  There were a few that had trouble remaining on topic.

I'd probably say this is the best overall topic for this week though, based on content alone.  ;)