Author Topic: Episode was overhyped, disjointed, and generally dissapointing  (Read 13263 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Episode was overhyped, disjointed, and generally dissapointing
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 04:00:56 PM »
Overhyped = as always. Happens to every show on TV.

Disjointed = of course, that's Lost in a nutshell.

Disappointing = NEVER!.... Well there could be more female nudity I guess

LoL...Well, there almost was some when we saw Juliet nude from behind in bed. :D

As for "overhyped", I must be the only Lost fan who never, ever hears the promos or reads about the show or knows how an upcoming episode is being "hyped". Hell, I don't even watch the upcoming previews usually. I just show up every Wednesday night and watch. It's been that way for me since the beginning, because I came onboard the "Lost" bandwagon and started watching the DVDs of the 1st season while the 2nd season was underway. 95% of my Lost-watching experience has been free of promos, gimmicks and hype from the station and producers. It's just been the show itself.

So I may end up enjoying the episodes more than many of the people on this site who follow the hype and promotions religiously and allow those things to cause them to have expectations. I never have any, other than the expectation that the show will continue to be enjoyable. Last night's episode was VERY good...and the actors who play Ben and Juliet do an amazing job.

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 04:18:13 PM »
T-Mack you just jumped to the upper portion of my friends list on SWLS.  You are a realist like me in some regards.  You can only pitch so much mystical, mythical, sci-fi stuff before it blows up in your face.  I agree with how unrealistic the survivors of flight 815 act but that's Hollywood for ya.  For others whom are saying you don't "get it" and go watch another show, already.  I'm must disagree.  That is a cop out for a real debate.  Lost brought us to these boards and together we keep the show alive with ratings.  Oh and good writing cause ABC makes the calls.  I have a feeling the writers will do an alternate ending for "Lost."  Something never tried before on television.  We all would love to see more than one outcome.  It would make the writers come out playing it safe.

Although I did like this episode and yes we did know some of these things but only through thorough research and debating on all Web Lost boards for fans.  It's like what else would you be doing on a Weds night....so I guess nobody is right. 

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 04:48:07 PM »
T-Mack you just jumped to the upper portion of my friends list on SWLS.  You are a realist like me in some regards.  You can only pitch so much mystical, mythical, sci-fi stuff before it blows up in your face.  I agree with how unrealistic the survivors of flight 815 act but that's Hollywood for ya.  For others whom are saying you don't "get it" and go watch another show, already.  I'm must disagree.  That is a cop out for a real debate.  Lost brought us to these boards and together we keep the show alive with ratings.  Oh and good writing cause ABC makes the calls.  I have a feeling the writers will do an alternate ending for "Lost."  Something never tried before on television.  We all would love to see more than one outcome.  It would make the writers come out playing it safe.

Although I did like this episode and yes we did know some of these things but only through thorough research and debating on all Web Lost boards for fans.  It's like what else would you be doing on a Weds night....so I guess nobody is right. 
  I appreciate the thoughts and I don't mean to be the skunk at the picnic but Jesus H. Christ, when are some of these mysteries going to start paying off for the audience?

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 04:50:14 PM »
Following her to make sure it really was medicine she was getting was a smart thing to do. But they didn't have to corner her right then and there to get their answers. They could do it after she takes the meds to Claire. They could do it the next day. They could do it that night while she's sleeping. They could do it right after their fish and berries dinner buffet. It's not "unrealistic" just because they didn't insist on questions right then and there.
Are you watching the same show as we are?  They didn't do any of those things.  I don't deal in what if's.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 05:21:35 PM by T Mack »

Offline staciemck

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 04:58:30 PM »
This was one of the top three episodes of the season!!!!!!!!!!!! The flashbacks were riveting and gave us knew information.  We got to see more of "the others" way of life allowing us to make more speculations.  They showed realistic moments like Kate asking what the hell happened to Jack or Sayid insisting on information.  We saw continued deception by the others...and some really good acting from Juliet whose facial expression which appear at times to be honest reactions turn out to be false.  I love the fact that the flashbacks allow us to trust her, but how they also gaves us moments where we can't.  For a Lost fan who is interested in the mythology of the show, this was a great episode!

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 05:40:25 PM »
This was one of the top three episodes of the season!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not even close!  It was one of the bottom 3.

The top 3 in order were:

Flashes Before Your Eyes
The Man From Talahassee
Enter 77

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 05:44:20 PM »
I agree with Tallahassee, but I say the Every Man For Himself was the best so far of Season 3.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 06:39:43 PM »

The top 3 in order were:

Flashes Before Your Eyes
The Man From Talahassee
Enter 77

LOL.  Flashes was my least favorite episode this season (but not ever.  Just this season).  I agree that the other two were great though.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 06:47:14 PM »
Flashes was a completely new experience for our show... I wasn't too fond of the new experience, yet at the same time, I thought it was quite interesting.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 08:13:23 PM »
Following her to make sure it really was medicine she was getting was a smart thing to do. But they didn't have to corner her right then and there to get their answers. They could do it after she takes the meds to Claire. They could do it the next day. They could do it that night while she's sleeping. They could do it right after their fish and berries dinner buffet. It's not "unrealistic" just because they didn't insist on questions right then and there.
Are you watching the same show as we are?  They didn't do any of those things.  I don't deal in what if's.

Did you see the words "what if" anywhere in my post? Didn't think so.

To think that it's "unrealistic" for both Sawyer and Sayid to hold Claire's health and life hostage so that they could question Juliet is asinine, imo. They know Juliet's not going anywhere. And actually, it was stupid for them to attempt to question her at that very moment. Far smarter to just follow her and keep an eye on her, to let her know you're alway watching. But that makes for slightly less cheesy drama.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 08:19:58 PM »

The top 3 in order were:

Flashes Before Your Eyes
The Man From Talahassee
Enter 77

Couldn't disagree more. Those three episodes felt forced, as if the writers were saying "Ok, guys, we gotta offer up some tidbits for the restless fans."

Enter 77 gave us less info (and less compelling things to contemplate) than last night's episode...and had logic flaws galore. Not to mention watching Patchy overact and chew up the scenery lol. Flashes was ok and interesting, but REALLY pushed the "Shark Jumping" envelope. And Talahassee good, but no better than about half of the other episodes.

Offline Point Place WI

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 08:53:57 PM »

To think that it's "unrealistic" for both Sawyer and Sayid to hold Claire's health and life hostage so that they could question Juliet is asinine, imo. They know Juliet's not going anywhere. And actually, it was stupid for them to attempt to question her at that very moment. Far smarter to just follow her and keep an eye on her, to let her know you're alway watching. But that makes for slightly less cheesy drama.

To be realistic in my opinion for a murderer and torturer....they should have grabbed Juliet by her hair drag her back to the beach and just break a few of her fingers and ask questions along the way.  Or, have Sawyer run it back to the beach after they tied up the broad.  Sayid could go from there. 

Look I don't think thats morally the thing to do but.... this woman's people nearly killed Sawyer by beating him to a pulp.  Shocked them with mini tasers, electrocuted them in cages, shot them with darts,  stole children and passengers....etc. 

So, you tell me if Claire was in dire need of the medication one of them could have got it to her and Jack could have stuck her in the belly.

P.S. Flashes before your Eyes was the worst Lost episode I have seen.  One of Us was the best that I can remember this season. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 09:27:20 PM by Point Place WI »

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 09:56:50 PM »
To be realistic in my opinion for a murderer and torturer....they should have grabbed Juliet by her hair drag her back to the beach and just break a few of her fingers and ask questions along the way.  Or, have Sawyer run it back to the beach after they tied up the broad.  Sayid could go from there. 

A "murderer" who only wanted to murder one person on the face of the planet: the man he felt was responsible for his parents' deaths. And even when he did that, he hesitated at first, pretty much decided not to do it. It was Christian who more or less told him that if he had something he felt he needed to do, then he should go do it. I think Sawyer was having second thoughts about it. It wouldn't be very realistic to expect him to treat Juliet like a rag doll.

As for Sayid, not only has he "supposedly" been gravitating from his former self, he also has a history on the show of not acting rash, being patient, taking things in first. Locke and Jack act irrationally and impulsively. Not Sayid. So for him to take in the situation and decide to wait just a bit longer is far more realistic.

Look I don't think thats morally the thing to do but.... this woman's people nearly killed Sawyer by beating him to a pulp.  Shocked them with mini tasers, electrocuted them in cages, shot them with darts,  stole children and passengers....etc. 

So, you tell me if Claire was in dire need of the medication one of them could have got it to her and Jack could have stuck her in the belly.

My assumption is that she wasn't just giving Claire a shot...it was that she was doing something that only she was specialized in doing. The shot may have needed to be given in a specific place or at a specific dosage. And with everyone thinking that Claire was only moments away from death, I'm not sure if beating up and torturing the only person who knows what's going on with her is the smartest thing to be doing lol. Beat her up tomorrow, what's the hurry?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 09:58:25 PM by WhatThe »

Offline sauget.diblosio

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 10:26:11 PM »

you are just plain wrong.

Offline Point Place WI

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 10:47:51 PM »
Ohhhhh Ok!  I get what you are saying "What the." 

Gosh that's what sucks about typing you have to interpret it as if you were the person writing it and it gets chopped up by your own thoughts. 

I agree with your first part and your second in that what you are saying is "What's the hurry" & and how Sayid is totally a patient person. 

What I was trying to focus on was the word "Realistic" & "Unrealistic."

What I was expressing was how in real life if this was really happening to you.  You crashed on an Island after a plane crash and all this crazy dramatic stuff was happening.  You found out some local people lived there and did all these horrible and uncharacteristic things to your friends or camp.  You might "realistically" want some answers and pronto. 

"Unrealistic" is Hollywood....they drag things out like a 5 year old answers questions.  "Why did you have Micheal kill Ana and Libby?"  A typical 5 year old replies Cause why or Cause....if you knew what I know they would kill me.

I don't know if this will make sense but I tried.