Author Topic: Cancer on the Island  (Read 13372 times)

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Cancer on the Island
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2007, 02:31:21 PM »
Wasn't Alex born on the island?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2007, 04:19:52 PM »
Michelle: kkehoe is right as well, if you aren't a liar and someone questions your integrity when it means a lot to you that people believe you, you get defensive (from past experience)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2007, 04:50:05 PM »
Ben doesn't lie.....except when he claimed to be Henry Gale.  Somehow he knew that Rachel would be found to have a recurrence of her cancer.  He knew, as well, that it would go away.  So, he made it appear to Juliet that his intervention was required for Rachel to live.  So, yes, what he stated was true....what is undecided is whether he cured Rachel's cancer.

A similar pattern of manipulation and careful wording was utilized on Jack....I'll let your friends go as soon as you're off of the island.  He knew that the sub was a gonner.  He knew that his wording was precise and that he could be said to have kept his word.  He even clairifies his manipulations in the past to Jack and to Locke.  To Jack, he explains that he was found to have a spine tumor and, out of the sky, appears a spine surgeon.  To Locke, he is more sinister....If I let them go it would be a sign of weakness/If I kept them I'd be a liar.....and then you appeared John.

The real question is how does Ben get what he wants.  How does he manipulate you into thinking it's your idea when it's really his (Alex said that one to Locke)?

What allows Ben this knowledge that even the other others don't possess?

Cancer....maybe the island's way of inducing change and a confluence of the others with the losties....maybe a way of showing that the others will need the losties for more than just breeding stock.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2007, 05:04:02 PM »
He said he was Henry Gale so that the Losties wouldn't kill him. What would you do when in the prescence of a group of people known to be hostile against you?

The Others were living together not quite in harmony, but still no worse than any community. When the Losties enter, we see a widespread destruction of Others' lives...

They have plenty of reason to be untrue to the Losties to save their own skins.