Author Topic: Cancer on the Island  (Read 14124 times)

Offline MichiganFan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Cancer on the Island
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:10:08 AM »
I have a strong suspicion that Juliette's sister never had cancer. Telling Juliette that the cancer came back and Jacob cured it was a mind game. So does Ben getting cancer condradict the healing properties of the island, or was that a mind game too? I don't know how you'd implant a fake tumor... and what was meant by the statement "I didn't say you had cancer, I said you had a tumor."?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Cancer on the Island
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:11:59 AM »
We still do not know if it was cancer. Jack told Juliet to have it tested. We do not know the results.

Offline dcnole

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 12:15:57 AM »
We still do not know if it was cancer. Jack told Juliet to have it tested. We do not know the results.
This is exactly what I was going to ask. Do we KNOW it was cancer?  I guess not.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 12:17:29 AM »
yOu can't tell cancer from an xray.

I think he really did have CAncer.  I think something new is happening.  Something on the island changed.  Or something with Ben changed causing him to get Cancer.  Maybe Locke was right, and the island is angry at Ben.  Maybe thats why they wanted Locke to come with them.  Because he has a link with the island that they want to get back in touch with.

Offline thwgt

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 12:19:17 AM »
In reply to MichiganFan:  all tumors are not necessarily cancer.

Offline versed4every1

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:26:29 AM »
I have a strong suspicion that Juliette's sister never had cancer. Telling Juliette that the cancer came back and Jacob cured it was a mind game. So does Ben getting cancer condradict the healing properties of the island, or was that a mind game too? I don't know how you'd implant a fake tumor... and what was meant by the statement "I didn't say you had cancer, I said you had a tumor."?

If Juliet's sister never had cancer she would never have received chemotherapy.  If she never received chemotherapy she would not have lost her reproductive ability.  If she had never lost her reproductive ability Juliet would not have had a successful test case of her serum and Mittelos would not have come looking for her.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 12:28:03 AM »
Walrus: That's why Juliet said Tumor and stressed that she didn't say cancer.

Versed: She definately received chemo.

Most likely no one would force someone to get chemo without a reason as it's VERY dangerous.

Plus no one cared about Juliet until she cured her sister's sterility (or started trying to)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 12:28:47 AM »
Did michigan fan mean the recurance of cancer when she was pregnant. I do not believe Jacob cured cancer during the pregnancy

Offline MichiganFan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 12:38:34 AM »
Did michigan fan mean the recurance of cancer when she was pregnant. I do not believe Jacob cured cancer during the pregnancy

Yep, I was referring to the recurrance in her sister after Juliette went to the island. I still wonder what it means (in the big scheme of things) for Ben to get a tumor (whether malignant or not) for an island that supposedly has healing properties.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 12:55:34 AM »
Walrus: That's why Juliet said Tumor and stressed that she didn't say cancer.

Versed: She definately received chemo.

Most likely no one would force someone to get chemo without a reason as it's VERY dangerous.

Plus no one cared about Juliet until she cured her sister's sterility (or started trying to)

JB, I think Versed was trying to clearly make the point that she did have chemo.  She wasn't debating that.  You and her are saying the same thing.  ;)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 12:58:58 AM »
Right... I realized that after I wrote Versed... I think I meant to address whoever she was talking to. lol

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 02:38:17 AM »
Cancer is a disease of the old and of the growing.

So, again I ask the question, how old are the others?  They may say how old they were when they got to the island (mikail), but don't disclose their age.

Next, you have Ben telling Juliet that he can cure her sister.  He states, you've been here six months and examined all of us and you have not found any cancer.

Interesting choice of words....Why would it be abnormal for a bunch of thirty and forty year olds to be cancer free.....unless they are not 30 or 40 year olds.

Onward.  Recurrent cancers are often aggressive and recalcitrant to standard modalities of care.  How could Ben cure cancer?  Was there really a recurrence?  Was her disease induced in the first place?

Well, perhaps the island has curative properties and Ben fed ex'd a rock to Rachael.  On these other issues, we can only trust the video.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
Good point puff.  This does seem to strengthen the argument that time moves differently.  Especially if that older other ends up being Amelia Earhart! 

musepsycho

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 09:34:53 AM »
Cancer is a disease of the old and of the growing.

What? I'm no expert, but I dare say your premise is faulty. You can't assume somebody's age from whether they have cancer or not.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 09:43:19 AM »
I think puff is emphasizing the fact that Ben seems to be overly concerned about cancer.  I don't know statistics, but it seems normal that a small group of middle-aged people wouldn't have cancer.  Unless of course, they had it before coming there, similar to Rose's story.