Author Topic: Has Sayid's Torturing Ever Worked? Has Juliet Ever Manipulated Anyone?  (Read 6323 times)

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Has Sayid's Torturing Ever Worked? Has Juliet Ever Manipulated Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 08:21:34 PM »
locke - paralyzed
sun - unable to coneive
sayid - torturer
sawyer - con man
hurley - cursed
jack - struggling doctor
kate - prisoner
charlie - drug addict
michael - bad dad

ONCE THEY GOT THE ISLAND, EVERYTHING ABOVE WAS REVERSED.
Kinda sounds good, wcept for Michael...he went from bad bad to worse....
locke - paralyzed
sun - unable to coneive
sayid - torturer
sawyer - con man
hurley - cursed
jack - struggling doctor
kate - prisoner
charlie - drug addict
michael - bad dad

Kinda sounds good, wcept for Michael...he went from bad bad to worse....

He was doing that for his son.  It was more like, good dad, bad friend.

I don't think that Ben would have given us any useful information if Sayid had done anything differently.  I didn't see him torturing anyone in the previews.  He threatened, yes, but that is different.  This is simply an interrogation, so far anyhow.  I think Juliette will willingly give up information and Sayid won't have to resort to any drastic means.  The way the put it in the preview made it look worse that it actually will be.
As for Juliette's manipulation skills, they are quite low.  She wasn't made for that role in life, but that is all she has known on the island and all she has known from her husband. 

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 08:26:52 PM »
Are you kidding me?  Juliet is not the same person who timidly hid from her ex-husband.  This lady flips people, shoots people, manipulates....blah blah blah.  Incredible.  We don't know a thing about this lady.  Her flashback provided no information regarding her behavior. 

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 08:32:50 PM »
Her flashback showed what being on the island has done to her.  It has made her a completely new person.  She had to get tough to survive with the others.  She doesn't feel like she belongs anywhere on the island.  When she is with the others she tries her hand at manipulation and violence.  Now that she is with a softer side of the island, she will mimic that.  Her personality has been entirely altered, she is barely her own person anymore.

Offline thwgt

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 09:00:05 PM »
Are you kidding me?  Juliet is not the same person who timidly hid from her ex-husband.  This lady flips people, shoots people, manipulates....blah blah blah.  Incredible.  We don't know a thing about this lady.  Her flashback provided no information regarding her behavior. 

Her flashback showed what being on the island has done to her.  It has made her a completely new person.  She had to get tough to survive with the others.  She doesn't feel like she belongs anywhere on the island.  When she is with the others she tries her hand at manipulation and violence.  Now that she is with a softer side of the island, she will mimic that.  Her personality has been entirely altered, she is barely her own person anymore.
Both excellent points.  I lean more toward Puff's view but you do make a good argument, Maggie.  I guess we'll find out, though I doubt it will be tomorrow.  My guess is that more questions will be raised.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 12:53:45 AM »
We should find out alot more tomorrow!!

Offline cannonball java

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 02:28:58 AM »
On the Sayid issue the only thing that comes to mind is

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! From Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline thwgt

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 11:28:48 AM »
We should find out alot more tomorrow!!
Agree we'll get a lot of holes filled in, but I don't think the Juliet thing will be resolved until maybe the season finale.

Offline Eballs

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 01:10:53 PM »
I have to disagree with some people about the usefulness of my boy Sayid (sp?).  He is by far the best character and the most useful on the Island when it comes to issues with the others.  Not only does he have military training and knows how to use any weapon he also knows war tactics (setting up a perimeter, re-con mission, sailing around the island and attacking from behind). 

He also is incredible at reading people, he knew that Ben was on of the others, he knew that patch was one of the others, he knew Michael was leading them into a trap.  He is smart and he can fight when it comes time too.

Plus, lets face it he is kinda lucky.  When he got kidnapped by Daniell(sp?) he got out of that, he got kidnapped by the others and they magically dissappear into no where.  Nothing super bad has happened to him(on the island) Luck is more important then skill sometimes and Sayid has them both. 

And that is why Sayid the best.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »
Yes I agree 100% with Eballs.  I think Sayid's ability to read people will be more important in this episode than torture.  I doubt he will have to resort to that.  Guess I'll find out in a few long long hours!

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 06:33:22 PM »
Sayid's torturing never works because someone always stops him before he can really get started.  It's hard to be a torturer when someone grabs you and says "stop, that's enough!"

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 07:51:33 PM »
locke - paralyzed
sun - unable to coneive
sayid - torturer
sawyer - con man
hurley - cursed
jack - struggling doctor
kate - prisoner
charlie - drug addict
michael - bad dad

I really like this idea, and with Michael he ALWAYS WANTED to be a good dad, and he seemed to be trying...

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 10:48:41 PM »
Michael was a terrible dad...I just finished watching season one...Hurley even comments that he doesn't like it.  He tries to dump Walt off on his grandmother.  Michael never even talks to his son.  All he does is try and build a raft and say annoying things.