Poll

What do you think of the whisper transcripts?

I can't hear all the whispers, but I think they are legitimate
9 (18%)
I can't hear all the whispers, and I have doubts about the transcripts
8 (16%)
I believe the transcripts are a hoax
2 (4%)
What transcripts?
6 (12%)
I think the whisperers are living
10 (20%)
I think the whisperers are dead
3 (6%)
I think the whisperers are both living and dead
4 (8%)
I don't know what to think!
8 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Whisperers  (Read 15147 times)

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Whisperers
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2007, 05:34:47 PM »
Random thoughts....

The whispers mention lots of people both dead and alive, some we know and some we don't.

I expect they're at least as ubiquitous as the Others, we just don't hear them all the time. Not sure we see the Others all the time either.....

I suspect the remote viewing takes place through selected animals on the island. In fact I'd argue the whisperers can remote control such animals. They don't want to be shot 'cause it'll cost them some expensive equipment and/or the Losties might discover said equipment while eating the animal (conjures up an interesting scene), and/or it might hurt the remoties if an animal they're connected to dies.

I'm thinkin' the plane crash remark is a captured memory from an earlier crash, maybe the drug plane. Here are all these new people. How'd they get here? Maybe the same as me! Yup, he's got the same dumb look I had just after my crash.

Once they absorb a person's memories they know as much or more about that person as the Others do. The Others know the second hand history, the things that appear in the public record, of, say, Kate. The Whisperers know her inner thoughts. The Others know what things say, the Whisperers know what things mean (think the Sheriff/Jack exchange). In our privileged stations as viewers, we get both, just reallllllllllllllly slowly..... Something like this came out in the Kate/Juliet exchange about Jack as well. Juliet knows all of Jack's history, so assumes Jack sent Kate and Sawyer away 'cause his heart was broken (again). Kate knows Jack from three months of living with the man under intense pressure and thinks Jack sent them away to protect them. Juliet knows his history, Kate knows him.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:08:10 PM by LostAndSeek »

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2007, 08:37:13 PM »
Yeah, they don't seem as omnipresent as the others... It seems like every other time a lostie walks into the jungle there is an other following them.  The whisperers don't seem to know as much about the Losties as the others, also.  They are unsure of a planecrash, they don't know seem to know all the names either, though they do mention Charlie, Shannon, Elizabeth, Micheal, and possibly Ana-Lucia.  Hm.  Now that I type that out, all of those characters have died.  Well, I'd at least say that the whispers are from another entity than the Others.
Michael is not dead.

OUCH!  And I call myself a lost fan!!  I knew that.  Sorry guys.   I suck.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2007, 08:40:53 PM »
Those are good thoughts, LAS.  What you said about the animals possibly being part of the remote viewing reminds me of The Last Mimsy, if anyone has seen that.  There's this AI bunny... and some things like space travel and mysterious happenings I couldn't help but see some things related to LOST. 

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2007, 12:28:36 AM »
Yeah, they don't seem as omnipresent as the others... It seems like every other time a lostie walks into the jungle there is an other following them.  The whisperers don't seem to know as much about the Losties as the others, also.  They are unsure of a planecrash, they don't know seem to know all the names either, though they do mention Charlie, Shannon, Elizabeth, Micheal, and possibly Ana-Lucia.  Hm.  Now that I type that out, all of those characters have died.  Well, I'd at least say that the whispers are from another entity than the Others.
Michael is not dead.

OUCH!  And I call myself a lost fan!!  I knew that.  Sorry guys.   I suck.
It must have been wishfull thinking, Maggie.  We all do it. 
 ;D

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2007, 08:45:27 AM »
Michael is not dead.

OUCH!  And I call myself a lost fan!!  I knew that.  Sorry guys.   I suck.
It must have been wishfull thinking, Maggie.  We all do it. 
 ;D
I've done worse, DMM, don't worry! :D

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2007, 10:44:27 PM »
So LostandSeek, when you say "I'm thinkin' the plane crash remark is a captured memory from an earlier crash, maybe the drug plane. Here are all these new people. How'd they get here? Maybe the same as me! Yup, he's got the same dumb look I had just after my crash."  what do you mean?

Are you saying that maybe what we hear as whispers are actually things said previously and are somehow heard as whispers later on?  I can see how this would make sense with things like "dying sucks" and people's names (although I don't think anyone has said 'elizabeth' as a name, maybe the boat?) 

I think the idea of remote viewing from either animals or things set up throughout the island is interesting.  It is a very sound explanation to show how the whisperers know things about the losties.   

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2007, 02:22:53 PM »
So LostandSeek, when you say "I'm thinkin' the plane crash remark is a captured memory from an earlier crash, maybe the drug plane. Here are all these new people. How'd they get here? Maybe the same as me! Yup, he's got the same dumb look I had just after my crash."  what do you mean?

Are you saying that maybe what we hear as whispers are actually things said previously and are somehow heard as whispers later on?  I can see how this would make sense with things like "dying sucks" and people's names (although I don't think anyone has said 'elizabeth' as a name, maybe the boat?) 

I think the idea of remote viewing from either animals or things set up throughout the island is interesting.  It is a very sound explanation to show how the whisperers know things about the losties.   

I think Smokie captures memories and that these can be played back. Hence we hear "dying sucks" in what sounds like Boone's voice. I suspect the whisperers are guided by some intelligence or intelligences and so can come up with original material as well. But I'm not as sure of that. There's a chance that they can only repeat lines from those memories.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2007, 02:51:22 PM »
Yes, it sounds like a combination of the two.  Some are lines taken directly out of the script, others seem to be conversations behind the scenes.  I think you are right though, we can not for sure say that because Boone says "dying sucks" that it is some "Boone spirit" that says it again as a whisper.  I like the idea of smokie being a part of this also.  There is a lot to learn about the smoke still, but we do know it can record and use the recording against you- see Yemi and Eko.

Offline relient k

• Survivor
    • View Profile
The Whispers... Speculation
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
Any guesses on what these could possibly be?