Author Topic: Rain  (Read 9807 times)

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Rain
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2007, 07:07:09 PM »
Maybe smokie is an electrical entity that requires moisture in the air to operate. That could be why he tends to come out and play when it rains. Moisture could be the current that is needed for its locomotion. Have we ever heard thunder before on the Island?
This is really making me think. :-\

Me, too.  Very interesting.

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2007, 08:56:13 PM »
it rains when Smokey is coming
<------Pyro[move]

Locke was hunting for boar and seen trees moving/shaking then the clickityclickclick of the smokie and it was a beautiful day out. That is when he seen into the eye of the island or whatever he says. Eko was shaken like a rattle and pounded to the ground in a shadowy area because of the trees, but with no rain.
I'm sure there are other times, but I agree there seems to be rain or the quick start of rain when smokie is around... just not ALL the time.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2007, 12:23:35 AM »
I totally had a revelation in the Tsunami thread, so I have to post it here too.  It fits in with the discussion about the rain.

Or maybe, if they are caught in between a time and/or space, they need to control the weather because the natural weather doesn't affect them.  That's why they know its gonna rain!  They have it on a timer like a sprinkler system to keep the island vegetation flourishing!

(Puff, Ashley, PL, TISCS, and I were discussing how real life weather may or may not affect the island if it is between a time or space.)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2007, 02:46:21 PM »
Now I have to quote my response in that thread over here!  lol

I see what you're saying, but I think we've still seen normal weather patterns on the island, too.  Remember Artz telling the raft crew in Season 1 about the right time to launch?  I believe that there are observable natural weather patters on the island, as well as those engineered by the meteorological experimentation by Dharma.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2007, 02:57:46 PM »
I think it only rains for dramatic effect.  you are all thinking to much into it.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2007, 03:01:28 PM »
I think it only rains for dramatic effect.  you are all thinking to much into it.
Oh.  That, too. :)

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2007, 04:04:25 PM »
The clap of thunder may have been a hint as well.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2007, 04:29:55 PM »
Now I have to quote my response in that thread over here!  lol

I see what you're saying, but I think we've still seen normal weather patterns on the island, too.  Remember Artz telling the raft crew in Season 1 about the right time to launch?  I believe that there are observable natural weather patters on the island, as well as those engineered by the meteorological experimentation by Dharma.

Artz warned them of it, but it never ended up happening.  The weather stayed the same as before.  And they've been there 3 months without a major weather shift.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2007, 04:50:17 PM »
I think Artz's point was that the wind would be changing direction, thus the chance of rescue would be diminished if they hoped to find a ship.  I don't think he was predicting any weather changes, just the changes of the traffic of boats.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2007, 04:55:14 PM »
I think Artz's point was that the wind would be changing direction, thus the chance of rescue would be diminished if they hoped to find a ship.  I don't think he was predicting any weather changes, just the changes of the traffic of boats.
Wind is weather.  :)

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2007, 05:12:10 PM »

That's right, but didn't he also say something about monsoon season?

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2007, 05:12:59 PM »
Lol of course it is!   Sorry, should have said nasty weather.  I was invisioning floods and nonstop rains and hurricanes or whatever.   But yeah.  Wind is weather.  I'll write that one down.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2007, 05:15:06 PM »
Lol of course it is!   Sorry, should have said nasty weather.  I was invisioning floods and nonstop rains and hurricanes or whatever.   But yeah.  Wind is weather.  I'll write that one down.
Ok...I gotcha now.  lol  Yes- we have not seen the drastic changes that he led us to believe were coming.  It has stayed pretty temperate.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2007, 05:42:01 PM »
Which seems a little odd, doesn't it?  Aren't islands in the pacific supposed to have storms and tidal waves and all that stuff?

Offline Psych0666

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2007, 12:53:18 AM »
I couldn't really be bothered reading the whole thread again so if I've repeated something I apologise.

OK, here's what I think regarding the rain, Locke knew it was going to rain because the Island told him it was gonna rain, Juliette knew it was gonna rain cos she read the manual... so to speak. :D