Author Topic: Lost in the News...  (Read 868 times)

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
Lost in the News...
« on: March 12, 2008, 12:17:49 PM »
From the Chicago Trib today:

"Anything can happen on "Lost" -- it's the perfect show to be breaking new narrative ground, because its viewers have proved their willingness to be both loyal and intelligent."

yay! after years of just saying it to myself and any who would listen before trying to kick my a$#, I've validation that yes, I am intelligent!!!

The paragraph preceding the above quote:

"This season the "Lost" writers, led by producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof, are incorporating the future into the drama every week. The action on the mysterious island is now punctuated with events taking place long afterward, when six characters from the Oceanic 815 plane crash -- among them, Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sayid -- have made it back home. What had been the present tense for the show's first three seasons -- the initial months after the crash -- is now becoming the past. The "Lost" time scheme is so thoroughly up in the air, it can take the viewer a moment or two to figure out where in time we are when an episode begins. We're lost in space and, now, time.

For all we know, the off-island future may become the past by the end of the series, in 2010. Perhaps Jack, Kate and others will return to the island before the series finale, in effect recalibrating the current flash-forwards into flashbacks."

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Lost in the News...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 02:34:29 PM »
From the Chicago Trib today:

"Anything can happen on "Lost" -- it's the perfect show to be breaking new narrative ground, because its viewers have proved their willingness to be both loyal and intelligent."

yay! after years of just saying it to myself and any who would listen before trying to kick my a$#, I've validation that yes, I am intelligent!!!

The paragraph preceding the above quote:

"This season the "Lost" writers, led by producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof, are incorporating the future into the drama every week. The action on the mysterious island is now punctuated with events taking place long afterward, when six characters from the Oceanic 815 plane crash -- among them, Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sayid -- have made it back home. What had been the present tense for the show's first three seasons -- the initial months after the crash -- is now becoming the past. The "Lost" time scheme is so thoroughly up in the air, it can take the viewer a moment or two to figure out where in time we are when an episode begins. We're lost in space and, now, time.

For all we know, the off-island future may become the past by the end of the series, in 2010. Perhaps Jack, Kate and others will return to the island before the series finale, in effect recalibrating the current flash-forwards into flashbacks."

Thanks for this, Staggerlee!  I really appreciate that the writer of this did not take the tact that the differing time perspectives are actually unravelling the show's narrative.  They've done something really brilliant.  Great summary of it.