Author Topic: Why is it all Kate's fault?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it all Kate's fault?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 12:26:08 PM »
I think it's pretty obvious from her flashbacks that she was abused by her stepdad.  You can see him pawing her and stuff right before she blew him up.  Her stepdad was a bad man and I think he deserved what he got.  Her mom is just as crazy as she is, apparently.

The flashback did elude to that possibility, but in everything since Kate has never even slightly hinted at the possibility. Right now that first flashback is coming across as if Kate's stepdad was just a drunk idiot that night and let his inebriated state allow him to make a few cringe-inducing flirtations towards his adult stepdaughter. If he had done more, they should have had Kate eluding to it while talking to Sawyer's ex-gf, or confronting her mom in the bathroom about it.

Apparently, Kate has some SERIOUS decisions-making issues, reacts far beyond what the situation calls for.

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 12:30:54 PM »
It's Kate's fault because she is a manipulative, evil, and seductive little vixen.  She killed her mother's husband, period.  I thought that the story would eventually come to reveal that he had abused her and that her mother had turned a blind eye.  In that case, it would have been pretty easy to justify Kate getting all medieval.  But, alas, not the case. 

Does anyone know the origin of the name Kate Austin.  Probably posted previously, but here's a snippet from wikipedia:

Kate Cooper Austin (18641902) was an American journalist and advocate of feminist and anarchist causes.

Austin was raised in a Universalist and spiritualist family in Hook's Point, Iowa, where she married in August 1883. Around the same time, her father discovered Lucifer, an anarchist/free love journal published by Moses Harmon.[1] Austin and her entire family were influenced by Hamon's writings, but it was the Haymarket Riot of 1886 and the ensuing reaction which brought Austin to anarchism.[2]

A member of the American Press Writers' Association, Austin wrote for many working-class and radical newspapers. She also contributed to Lucifer and to anarchist periodicals such as The Firebrand, Free Society, Discontent, and the Demonstrator. Austin's interests included sexual reform and the economic status of working people. In 1897 and 1899, Emma Goldman visited Austin at her home in Caplinger Mills, Missouri, where she gave several well-attended lectures.

This is very interesting. I don't believe Kate's simulating an anarchist behaviour on the island though. Do you think so? Give me some pointers, I'd love to consider it.

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 12:31:23 PM »
Kate bought a pregnant lady a drink. 

that comment cracked me up  :D

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »
Kate bought a pregnant lady a drink. 

that comment cracked me up  :D

What's worse is that the pregnant lady ASKED Kate to buy her one lol...

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 12:34:51 PM »
Uh, Kate's "Stepfather" was her real father.
Sgt. Austen wasn't her real father.
Kate put 2 and 2 together on when she was born and where Sgt. Austen was at the time. (Overseas)

Seems that her real father Wayne was trying to molest a grown up Kate?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 12:37:16 PM by razzle-dazzle »

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 12:36:54 PM »
Uh, Kate's "Stepfather" was her real father.
Sgt. Austen wasn't her real father.
She found that out after she killed the guy, and Kate put 2 and 2 together on when she was born and where Sgt. Austen was.

Yep, that's right...forgot that part.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 12:56:16 PM »
I forgot that too.  Which makes me remember another reason why she killed him.  Because she hated so much being related to him.  I think he probably molested her or something too.  It seems they've given hints to it, but haven't outright made it clear.