Author Topic: Why is it all Kate's fault?  (Read 3217 times)

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Why is it all Kate's fault?
« on: April 05, 2007, 01:13:24 AM »
Juliet seems to be playing mind games with Kate.  How is it Kate's fault they didn't get to leave when Locke is the one who blew up the sub?  Her coming back (along with Locke and Sayid) have nothing to do with Jack still being on the island.  Kate seems to blame herself too.  Am I missing something?

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it all Kate's fault?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 01:17:18 AM »
Its Kate's fault only because she INSISTED on returning to rescue Jack when he didn't need or want to be rescued. 

Offline cindypooh

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 01:19:21 AM »
If Kate would have just went back to the beach and made camp with Sawyer then Locke would have never gotten the C-4 to blow up the sub in the first place. Jack and Juliet would have ben able to leave as planned cause been would have no choice but to keep his word.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 01:22:23 AM by cindypooh »

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 01:19:48 AM »
Its Kate's fault only because she INSISTED on returning to rescue Jack when he didn't need or want to be rescued. 
Agreed, Kate was prepared to leave and go get Jack alone, until Locke and Sayid agreed to go along...

Offline dcnole

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 01:21:52 AM »
I think the point was nothing more than Kate's persistence set in motion the series of events that led to everything getting fouled up.  Bringing Locke and his wildly unpredictable behavior into the equation was a recipe for disaster, and disaster is what happened (at least from Juliet and Jack's perspective).

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 01:24:18 AM »
It's Kate's fault because she is a manipulative, evil, and seductive little vixen.  She killed her mother's husband, period.  I thought that the story would eventually come to reveal that he had abused her and that her mother had turned a blind eye.  In that case, it would have been pretty easy to justify Kate getting all medieval.  But, alas, not the case.  

Does anyone know the origin of the name Kate Austin.  Probably posted previously, but here's a snippet from wikipedia:

Kate Cooper Austin (18641902) was an American journalist and advocate of feminist and anarchist causes.

Austin was raised in a Universalist and spiritualist family in Hook's Point, Iowa, where she married in August 1883. Around the same time, her father discovered Lucifer, an anarchist/free love journal published by Moses Harmon.[1] Austin and her entire family were influenced by Hamon's writings, but it was the Haymarket Riot of 1886 and the ensuing reaction which brought Austin to anarchism.[2]

A member of the American Press Writers' Association, Austin wrote for many working-class and radical newspapers. She also contributed to Lucifer and to anarchist periodicals such as The Firebrand, Free Society, Discontent, and the Demonstrator. Austin's interests included sexual reform and the economic status of working people. In 1897 and 1899, Emma Goldman visited Austin at her home in Caplinger Mills, Missouri, where she gave several well-attended lectures.

Offline versed4every1

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 01:24:53 AM »
Juliet seems to be playing mind games with Kate.  How is it Kate's fault they didn't get to leave when Locke is the one who blew up the sub?  Her coming back (along with Locke and Sayid) have nothing to do with Jack still being on the island.  Kate seems to blame herself too.  Am I missing something?

I am sure that Juliet is playing mindgames.  However, Locke and Sayid would not have gone looking for Jack without Kate's insistance.  Remember, Locke told her that they didn't have the motivation to go looking for Jack.  So, even though it was not really Kate's fault that the sub was blown up.  She feels responsible.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 01:34:12 AM »

I am sure that Juliet is playing mindgames.  However, Locke and Sayid would not have gone looking for Jack without Kate's insistance.  Remember, Locke told her that they didn't have the motivation to go looking for Jack.  So, even though it was not really Kate's fault that the sub was blown up.  She feels responsible.
Just like Ben told Juliet, he finds a weakness and exploits it...Juliet is doing the same thing to Kate...

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 01:44:01 AM »
I'm trying to figure out if the other's ditched camp all to enhance Kate's mindgame.  This forces Juliette to encounter Kate, and for Kate to feel emotionaly damgaged by Jack's connection to her.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 01:56:06 AM »
Kate bought a pregnant lady a drink. 

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 02:38:30 AM »
If my baby daddy were sawyer, i'd be drinking too

mindsparkle

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 04:15:02 AM »
Kate is not this horrible creature... she cared about her mother and many a child has stepped in to defend a mother from an abusive spouse only to be later blamed for the act...

Kate loved her mother, her mother is a typical victim of domestic violence and it has gone on so long that she has found a way to tolerate, condone and accept the abuse as part of the "love" she and her man shared... a person can't live in a constant state of abuse without finding some way to live with, justify it... and her momma is so like most battered women. 

Kate was appalled as I would hope most people would be.  She took it too far and committed a crime, but her intent was honorable. It's obvious that Kate grew up in a violent home so it's not surprising that she would use violence, again the dynamic in Kate's dysfunctional violent family is very common and predictable.

Juliet is driving a wedge between Jack and Kate... she is playing that angle for some reason, maybe she knows how much she is going to need Jack as an ally when they get to the beach... Jack is being a jerk and is being led around by the nose by Juliet... I can't imagine the motive but something, some scheme is going down...

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »
My confusion is based on the fact that Kate doesn't know about the sub being blown up and it would have/should have (imo) been quite natural for Jack to have told her what had happened. I agree that all of this wouldn't have happened without Kate's persistence so I can understand her blaming herself but I was really annoyed that neither Jack or Juliette thought to update her. But then, I guess that's typical of our losties - they never seem to communicate with each other!

I got the impression that Jack was well and truly fed up with Kate when she woke him up and they were sitting in the hallway. He really didn't want to see her at all. It nearly broke my heart because I had such high hopes that they could have got together one day. Never mind...

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 09:03:40 AM »
I think it's pretty obvious from her flashbacks that she was abused by her stepdad.  You can see him pawing her and stuff right before she blew him up.  Her stepdad was a bad man and I think he deserved what he got.  Her mom is just as crazy as she is, apparently.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 12:23:16 PM »
Kate refers to herself as Lucy in this flashback.  She states that the name is "after the saint."

So, a little wikipedia:

The rejected pagan bridegroom had denounced Lucy as a Christian to the magistrate Paschasius, who ordered her to burn a sacrifice to the Emperor's image. Lucy replied that she had given all that she had: "I offer to him myself, let him do with his offering as it pleaseth him." Sentenced to be defiled in a brothel, Lucy asserted:

"The body may take no corruption but if the heart and will give thereto assenting: for if thou madest me to do sacrifice by my hands, by force, to the idols, against my will, God shall take it only but as a derision, for he judgeth only of the will and consenting. And therefore, if thou make my body to be defouled without mine assent, and against my will, my chastity shall increase double to the merit of the crown of glory. What thing that thou dost to the body, which is in thy power, that beareth no prejudice to the handmaid of Jesus Christ."

The Christian tradition states that when the guards came to take her away they found her so filled with the Holy Spirit that she was stiff and heavy as a mountain; they could not move her even when they hitched her to a team of oxen. Even with a dagger through her throat she prophesied against her persecutor. As final torture, her eyes were gouged out. She was miraculously still able to see without her eyes. To this day we see pictures of St-Lucy holding her eyes on a golden plate.

Is this a reference to Kate being molested by her stepfather?