Author Topic: Sawyer making nice  (Read 2742 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Sawyer making nice
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 12:29:43 PM »
Sawyer didn't throw the diamonds away....those were the rhinestones on nikki's swimsuit from the expose shoot.  Sawyer may have released one of the other's to go find the woman he loves (bad writing), but he ain't going to part with money.

Sawyer said last nigh that money means nothing on the island, the politics of being "nice" holds far more value.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 02:07:40 PM »
For the first time in Sawyers life he can't run away from the relationships, his actions nor the consequences...  I think he is finally learning that applying his "conning" skills in a more appropriate and compassionate manner he will gain more than any of his simple cash-cons. He finally has to pay the piper for his actions and Hurley, bless his heart, found a way to give Sawyer an opportunity to save face and learn some of the harder life's lessons... which will ultimately make Sawyer a better person.  Hurley is like a saint... ever notice how compassionate and humanistic he is... amazing!
mindsparkle, you've been reading my mind today.  yes, hurley is like a saint.  he is awesome.

Offline thwgt

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 02:15:38 PM »
For the first time in Sawyers life he can't run away from the relationships, his actions nor the consequences...  I think he is finally learning that applying his "conning" skills in a more appropriate and compassionate manner he will gain more than any of his simple cash-cons. He finally has to pay the piper for his actions and Hurley, bless his heart, found a way to give Sawyer an opportunity to save face and learn some of the harder life's lessons... which will ultimately make Sawyer a better person.  Hurley is like a saint... ever notice how compassionate and humanistic he is... amazing!
mindsparkle, you've been reading my mind today.  yes, hurley is like a saint.  he is awesome.
I can agree with that.  I think that's the "deeper meaning" we're supposed to take away from this.  As for my OP, as soon as I re-read it I realized I'd answered my own question.  Sawyer's "aw shucks" awkwardness was a device to make us, out here in TVLand, like him.  If he had turned on the charm and been real smooth, we would all have known he was bs'ing.  It's sort of the opposite of having the villain kill a dog or smack a child around when the writers want to remove all audience sympathy for him.  Anyway...can't believe this thread went to 2 pages.  :-\