Author Topic: Smokie and the Fence/Does Smokey = Cerberus  (Read 20823 times)

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Smokie and the Fence
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 01:42:25 AM »
we need to find out about where othersville is in relation to the blast door map so we can see about the cerbrius is here and all that good stuff or whatever it all said.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 01:44:00 AM »
Maybe they were in the dark territory where Smokey Lives.
Interesting also...I'm a firm believer that smokie only apears in certain areas of the island...

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 02:21:44 AM »
Smokie can get up pretty high, didn't he get up to the top of the Oceanic Plane Cockpit to kill the pilot (so he can die and get a part on Heroes)?

Is it a coincidence that Smokie appeared only after Kate dislocated Julliet's shoulder out of rage?

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 02:34:16 AM »
When does smokie come?
is it emotions like rage and fear? ie kate
is it when someone is vulnerable? ie Lockes leg, eko, juliets shoulder
is it when the others sic it on people? ie ben wants to know something
is it vincent? hmmm

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 02:41:23 AM »
i love how people keep adding in my vincent theory, its fun.

I do think this is cerebrus like it talks about on the blast door map, which sledge just posted in the investigations page.

and yes he does use vincents body.

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 02:45:53 AM »
I think Smokie is a Dharma created thing. After all Dharma was experimenting with Ectromagnetism & Gene Splicing and such. The other just took Dharma's stuff......so maybe they don't know what Smokie is.

The Flashes on Julliet's face......some sort of facial recognition system?

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 02:50:37 AM »
Did anyone read the Dark Tower series?  For those that haven't... there is a giant bear/robot/bionic monster in the forest.    It is part machine and part beast, living tissue.  Some of smokies noises sound mechanical, and other sound very beastly.  Maybe the smoke is a combination being... it can't just be machine.  Wasn't it hurt by Jack when he was pulling Locke out of the hole he was being drug down?

mindsparkle

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 02:58:52 AM »
It was interesting that Smokie came up and made flashes of light, as if taking photos of Kate and Juliet, I don't think we've seen Smokie do this before but the sounds were the same as the clicking when it was reading Eko's mind and recording the images... I also, find it interesting that with the speed with which Smokie can move that it can be out run by humans.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 09:35:29 AM »
I think you guys are overcomplicating the fence issue.  The thing I got from it was that the fence was never on in Kate and them climbed over it.  Which probably means Patchy faked his death, although it was convincing and I don't know how he pulled it off.  But in any case, the fence was never on until Juliet put in the code.  If you remember, Kate was freaked out.  She didn't want to run through it because she saw what happened to Patchy.  That wasn't the fence's real function.  Its real function seems to be to create a force field, perhaps specifically to protect against the monster.  As for why it didn't just fly over, the force field perhaps forms a dome.  It would be pretty lame to have a force field someone could climb over.

Offline Atomictk

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 11:19:03 AM »
The fence was off and Juliet knew it because she turned it off when she took Kate out to the woods, handcuffed them, and then faked being unconscious.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 11:31:10 AM »
The fence was off and Juliet knew it because she turned it off when she took Kate out to the woods, handcuffed them, and then faked being unconscious.

But that doesn't explain why:

1) Kate, Sayid and Locke were able to climb over it after seeing Patchy die
2) Why the smoke thing was NOT able to "climb" over it after it was activated

As someone else already considered, it may just be that climbing directly over one of the fence posts is the only way to get by it...it's the fence's weak spot. Smokie The Monster hasn't figured that out yet.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 11:31:32 AM »
You may be right about that Atomictk.

I have always thought that Smokie and the 4 toed statue go together. Not literally mind you. Ever since the appearance of the statue I have thought that the island once was the home of a long-dead civilization. The statue and smokie are left-overs from that civilization (maybe Lemuria since it is in the pacific). Smokie may be all that is left, a bio-mechanical guardian maybe ??? It fits in with a Star Trek episode that I recall about a planet whose inhabitants died and left a massive supercomputer behind.

I think Smokie is what is left of this civilization and is attracted to strong emotions somehow. The flashing lights, images that Eko saw, what Locke saw, etc. seem to indicate that it is a biomechanical guardian of some sort. It may be limited in how far off the ground it can go. It did get the pilot, but it could have easily climbed up the plane to do so. It seems to travel underground an awful lot too.... did tunnels exist BEFORE Dharma got to the island???

I also think that the reason that there were so many survivors from the fuselage is that smokie aided the plane in a "softer" landing than in most crashes. After all 100 people or so would express some pretty strong emotions during a plane crash.

IMHO anyways.

Offline thwgt

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 11:47:52 AM »
Smokie cannot "fly" or jump over the fence because it emanates from the ground.  It can rise to great heights (see the pilot's death, Eko's death, etc) but must remain in contact with the ground.  Not necessarily physical contact, but whatever is generating it is in the ground.  The fence exists for one purpose:  to keep Smokie out of Otherville.  Juliet knew this because she didn't even flinch from Smokie once the fence was activated.  She wasn't just playing a hunch - she knew it would keep it out.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 11:52:19 AM »
Smokie cannot "fly" or jump over the fence because it emanates from the ground.  It can rise to great heights (see the pilot's death, Eko's death, etc) but must remain in contact with the ground.  Not necessarily physical contact, but whatever is generating it is in the ground.  The fence exists for one purpose:  to keep Smokie out of Otherville.  Juliet knew this because she didn't even flinch from Smokie once the fence was activated.  She wasn't just playing a hunch - she knew it would keep it out.

So why wouldn't it just reach over the fence, grab Juliet or Kate (or both), and yank them back over to the side of the fence it was on? We saw it turn into a fist and grab Ecko...

Offline Atomictk

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 12:12:57 PM »
I agree that Smokie is grounded. As to why it didn't just reach over, well, I'd say it just hasn't figured out it can do that, or maybe it can only stretch up, not up and over a barrier.