Author Topic: Tsunami  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Tsunami
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:43:39 PM »
I don't know if this is the place for this question, but wasn't the major Tsunami that hit Sri Lanka around Christmas 2004?  I realize that the island they are on is on the opposite side of Australia, so we think, but couldn't it have been affected by it, and do you think they will show anything to that effect?

Also, there was currently a Tsunami that took out the Soloman Islands, as I'm sure most of you are aware.  Do you think the writers have just been handed an "out" to the show, when they decide to end it?

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Tsunami
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 04:41:47 PM »
You are thinking in terms of time and space.  The island's time reference may allow for the existence of dinosaurs (hence the trees falling) and smoky may hide and protect the losties while obscuring the physical existence of the beasts.

Why would the Others need a perimeter fence?

Why would they need guns?

What is the sound of the monster?

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
You are thinking in terms of time and space.  The island's time reference may allow for the existence of dinosaurs (hence the trees falling) and smoky may hide and protect the losties while obscuring the physical existence of the beasts.

Why would the Others need a perimeter fence?

Why would they need guns?

What is the sound of the monster?

So what you're saying that time and space don't exist on the island?  If there is a day and night, time exists.  I realize we don't know what time they exist in, but it exists. 

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 08:59:35 PM »
I was just making my usual wierd reference to time and space.  When we think of the losties on the island, we think of them physically straying off course and ending up on the island.  It may be more appropriate to think of the losties as traversing some boundary in time and space such that if a tsunami hit the day after they landed....nothing.  "Guys, where are we?" could have as appopriately been stated "Guys, when are we?"

An island represents a physical body of land isolated by water.  But imagine the island as a metaphor, a bubble unto itself, separated from what the losties considered time and space.  Yes, time exists on the island....it may not proceed at the same rate, but that is not yet important....but my point is that the island is isolated in many ways--it must be--from the survivor's previous world.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 01:16:50 AM »
I don't know why people on the island still wear watches.  Totally pointless. 
As far as the tsunami, I'm not sure of the affects it will/ did have on the island.  I hope they resolve the show before 2006 in island time.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 04:04:27 PM »
I was just making my usual wierd reference to time and space.  When we think of the losties on the island, we think of them physically straying off course and ending up on the island.  It may be more appropriate to think of the losties as traversing some boundary in time and space such that if a tsunami hit the day after they landed....nothing.  "Guys, where are we?" could have as appopriately been stated "Guys, when are we?"

An island represents a physical body of land isolated by water.  But imagine the island as a metaphor, a bubble unto itself, separated from what the losties considered time and space.  Yes, time exists on the island....it may not proceed at the same rate, but that is not yet important....but my point is that the island is isolated in many ways--it must be--from the survivor's previous world.
I tend to agree with this general idea.  I think that time does pass differently on the island.  The Losties don't understand this, of course.  Not that I do.  lol  I feel there is evidence to support & disprove it.  It's just not consistent enough yet. :-\

It would be interesting if they somehow worked the tsunami into the storyline.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »
Locke does talk in expose about the weather will be changing soon and high tide and all that so maybe the rain and bad weather will occur and the losties will have no other place to go other than to enter the others camp and stay in ther houses.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 11:27:43 PM »
Perhaps if they control the weather (know when it's going to rain) they can prevent the destructive force of a tsunami.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 12:13:37 AM »
Perhaps if they control the weather (know when it's going to rain) they can prevent the destructive force of a tsunami.

Or maybe, if they are caught in between a time and/or space, they need to control the weather because the natural weather doesn't affect them.  That's why they know its gonna rain!  They have it on a timer like a sprinkler system to keep the island vegetation flourishing!

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 12:23:20 AM »
I liked the though of Lost being like the Truman show.  Well, I don't really like it, it wouldn't make for the best ending, but it makes sense why no one can find the island and why the rain is so predictable....

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 12:28:41 AM »
But...
What if there was a tsunami... one that knocked down the bulk of the four toed statue and swept up the Black Rock to the middle of the island?

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 12:36:33 AM »
It sounds like that is exactly what's going on, except for the big dome around it.  The electromagnetic field would be its dome.

Could that be why the island can't be found?  Is it like two negative sides of a magnet pushing away from each other?  When a normal ship gets close to it, it doesn't allow access?  But something made of fiber glass and wood (sail boat), wicker and vinyl (hot air balloon), and maybe Rousseau's ship got through because the magnet couldn't affect them?  Does this make sense?  Where's Puffy to give me the mechanics of the whole thing??!!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 02:43:12 PM »

Or maybe, if they are caught in between a time and/or space, they need to control the weather because the natural weather doesn't affect them.  That's why they know its gonna rain!  They have it on a timer like a sprinkler system to keep the island vegetation flourishing!
I see what you're saying, but I think we've still seen normal weather patterns on the island, too.  Remember Artz telling the raft crew in Season 1 about the right time to launch?  I believe that there are observable natural weather patters on the island, as well as those engineered by the meteorological experimentation by Dharma.

musepsycho

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 02:29:03 PM »

I agree with you on this one! I'm having a hard time making my mind up on the solutions to most of the island mysteries, the Others, DHARMA, magnetism, Smokey... There are still so many pieces in the puzzle we don't know about yet. But I'm pretty convinced that the island is in some sort of time/space pocket that doesn't exist within our three dimensions.

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 04:42:37 PM »
I don't know why people on the island still wear watches.  Totally pointless. 

It really is - My watch battery went about 2 weeks ago and I still put it on every day though, it's a habbit :)