Author Topic: What do you make of the "Smoke Monster" when Nikki got bit?  (Read 10321 times)

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: What do you make of the "Smoke Monster" when Nikki got bit?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 05:54:43 AM »
You know Scrod I think you guys are right but regardless of the spider and pheromones.  There was the smoke monster in the area?  Plus they mentioned it during the episode earlier.  What was that last night?  A dinosaur Jurasic Park style....so maybe there is a clue in this episode regarding our dark friend or foe
This was most definitely a "file it away" moment.  I do think that the other spiders came because of pheromones, but there clearly was the smoke monster sound. He may have just been on re-con like the 1st time the A-team went to the Black Rock on S1E23.

Who's is laughing at this? Smokey on their fate, or the writers on our doubts?

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 03:01:40 PM »
The Monster seems to appear whenever it's time for somebody to be judged....or to be dead.  Has anyone, besides Locke, met up with the thing and not been attacked?

Offline airdudei

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 03:04:54 PM »
Karma.
The monster is all about Karma.
Nikki hurt Paulo for the diamonds and got the same fate as him.

I agree with it being something like that. The monster definitely appeared as the spiders tonight. On another note....

Those are my favorite spiders (I have a tattoo of one!) but they aren't called Medusa spiders and they don't paralyze you either. They are actually called Writing spiders scientific name being argiope aurantia. Heres' a photos of one..so pretty, and big!

So pretty?  :-[

SO SCARY!

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 04:07:17 PM »
I think there's a thread on this very subject already...I think. lol

Offline DoomSter

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 11:26:22 PM »
The spider that bit nikki was smokey....because maybe smokey can shape shift or something so that would explain kate seeing a horse, polar bears, hurely's friend Dave....etc

how about that lol

Offline HanginWithMrEko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 09:37:53 AM »
wow... sometimes spiders are just spiders. The noise they used was to show that multiple spiders were coming. Arst (sp?) told her that in the earlier portion of the episode.

This show has a balance of science and lore... in this case, I am sticking w/ the science piece of it.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 09:42:47 AM »
I think the spiders were just spiders, acted like artz said, but smokey can be heard, he was around.

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 08:36:40 PM »
The Monster seems to appear whenever it's time for somebody to be judged....or to be dead.  Has anyone, besides Locke, met up with the thing and not been attacked?

Charlie saw it from up a tree when Ecko fist saw it.

I think the spiders were just spiders, acted like artz said, but smokey can be heard, he was around.

Agreed

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2007, 01:47:13 AM »
Yep Smokey was present.  This can tie into my Vincent=Smokey theory. 
We see Vincent taking the blanket off of Nikki and paulo.  Smokey is the only one that knew they were not dead because he was present at the time of spider bite.

Smokey was trying to tell the losties that they were not dead.

Offline JF

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2007, 02:40:05 AM »
You know, I've never been a fan of the Vincent=Smokey theory, but when I saw him pull off that blanket, I became a believer...

And I don't think the spiders were Smokey, unless Smokey can, in addition to shape shifting, chemically synthesize paralyzing toxins.

Still, that was an obvious smokey sound--it's the reason Nikki panicked.

J

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 12:42:05 PM »
The smoke monster makes a sound similar to that hear on the Princess Bride as they are walking through the dark forest.  Maybe coincidental, maybe tongue in cheek.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 11:28:04 PM »
Why do some people have to make things more complicated than they already are? There is so much going on here (that no character sees fit to ask questions about for some reason) and people still need to insert more theories into the mix. What is the use of the foreshadowing with the teacher if it was just smokie?
It seems as though you are the one who is missing the larger point.  The scene was left open to interpretation on purpose, typical of Lost.  Smokie was definitely heard, and the pheromones were no doubt released, but which was the real cause of the Spiders?  Fate or pheromones?  It's left up to the viewer to try to make that determination.  Things in Lost frequently have double meanings and multiple reasons for happening.

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2007, 09:20:50 AM »
I just re-watched the scene anfd I don't even really hear smoky, normal jungle sounds and tickity spider legs sound but then theres music over it and I don't really hear smokey.

scrod

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2007, 09:35:32 AM »
It is possible the effects guys said "hey this sounds like a thousand spiders!" and didn't realize the sound they dubbed in was so close to the smokey sound.  Sounds like a podcast question.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 11:14:28 PM »
If my memory serves me correctly (and that's a 50/50 shot!!) I thought there was just jungle noises and some low rumbling going on.  I took it to be the sound of the army of spiders approaching and the jungle noises to be birds, frogs, monkeys, who knows.  Maybe the Hurley bird was warning Joop to get out of the area and away from the spiders. ;D