Author Topic: What do you make of the "Smoke Monster" when Nikki got bit?  (Read 10336 times)

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
What do you make of the "Smoke Monster" when Nikki got bit?
« on: March 29, 2007, 12:04:55 AM »
I noticed the smoke monster sounding when Paulo was paralyzed and Nikki just got bit.  There has to be a reason for that.  I don't know if I missed anything but post your thoughts. 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:14:01 AM by Point Place WI »

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: What do you make of the "Smoke Monster" when Nikki got bit?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 12:07:17 AM »
Karma.
The monster is all about Karma.
Nikki hurt Paulo for the diamonds and got the same fate as him.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 12:13:39 AM »
yeah, we can certainly debate it til we're blue in the face, but despite the fact that Leslie said that spiders pheromones would draw other spiders, I think those spiders were brought by smokie!

Offline Imnotapeck

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 12:16:14 AM »
Karma.
The monster is all about Karma.
Nikki hurt Paulo for the diamonds and got the same fate as him.

I agree with it being something like that. The monster definitely appeared as the spiders tonight. On another note....

Those are my favorite spiders (I have a tattoo of one!) but they aren't called Medusa spiders and they don't paralyze you either. They are actually called Writing spiders scientific name being argiope aurantia. Heres' a photos of one..so pretty, and big!

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:18:28 AM »
I actually thought that it sounded like monkeys.

Offline Point Place WI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:21:12 AM »
I don't think they would have used spiders that could actually paralyze you unless you had Steve Erwin stunt doubles

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:40:08 AM »
I thought the noise was supposed to be the spiders scurrying.  Remember the science guy said the female's pheromones attract males so I knew that part was coming and that's how she'd get bit.  I don't think it had anything to do with the smoke monster.

Offline Point Place WI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 12:46:48 AM »
I thought the noise was supposed to be the spiders scurrying.  Remember the science guy said the female's pheromones attract males so I knew that part was coming and that's how she'd get bit.  I don't think it had anything to do with the smoke monster.
No I have to disagree Mayor127, it was clear as can be...just like when Eko was being scanned....abc.com tomorrow

scrod

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 12:50:23 AM »
I wasn't positive, but defaulted to thinking it was the spiders all scurrying to her from all over the island. 
But after thinking about it, wouldn't they be attracted to the smooshed up spider on his hand?  The island was involved.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 12:59:19 AM »
Paulo flicked the spider off.  Spiders didn't swarm all over Nikki.  They just swarmed to the area and one happened to climb on her leg and bite her.  If the spider was smokey, then Arst's comments in the episode are completely worthless.  Would that make the original spider too?  I know that one at least got smashed.  Can smokey get smashed in spider form?  Yeah it was karma, but it wasn't the monster.

Offline Point Place WI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 01:02:38 AM »
You know Scrod I think you guys are right but regardless of the spider and phermones.  There was the smoke monster in the area?  Plus they mentioned it during the episode earlier.  What was that last night?  A dinosaur Jurasic Park style....so maybe there is a clue in this episode regarding our dark friend or foe

Offline Imnotapeck

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 01:43:49 AM »
I don't think they would have used spiders that could actually paralyze you unless you had Steve Erwin stunt doubles

Of course!

I was just throwing some useless knowledge out there in case anyone wanted to do some research on the spiders.

Offline versed4every1

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 02:13:58 AM »
There was a definate "smokie" sound after Nikki takes the diamonds from Paulo and before the other spiders showed up.  Could it be just spider pheromones - sure, but somehow I doubt it.   

Offline jdearmond

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 03:49:14 AM »
Why do some people have to make things more complicated than they already are? There is so much going on here (that no character sees fit to ask questions about for some reason) and people still need to insert more theories into the mix. What is the use of the foreshadowing with the teacher if it was just smokie?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 03:50:49 AM »
You know Scrod I think you guys are right but regardless of the spider and pheromones.  There was the smoke monster in the area?  Plus they mentioned it during the episode earlier.  What was that last night?  A dinosaur Jurasic Park style....so maybe there is a clue in this episode regarding our dark friend or foe
This was most definitely a "file it away" moment.  I do think that the other spiders came because of pheromones, but there clearly was the smoke monster sound. He may have just been on re-con like the 1st time the A-team went to the Black Rock on S1E23.