Author Topic: Ben Wanted the Hatch to Implode.  (Read 2548 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Ben Wanted the Hatch to Implode.
« on: March 24, 2007, 01:29:25 PM »
Alex inappropriately states to Locke, a man who has just abducted her, to beware of her father because he is a manipulator.  He makes you think that it was your idea when it was really his.

Ben's entire purpose in visiting the survivor's camp was to inject doubt into Locke pertaining to his putting in the numbers.  By not putting in the numbers, Ben created the EMP that knocked out their communications and the beacon necessary to find the island.

For whatever reason, BEN HAS SYSTEMATICALLY REMOVED ALL INFRASTRUCTURE NECESSARY TO COMMUNICATE OR TRAVEL TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD.

Why?  Who knows. 

I believe that there may be two factions of others....Hence, Ben's comment, "We're the Good Guys" and Ben's paranoia to maintain the faith and control of his people.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Ben Wanted the Hatch to Implode.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 01:35:58 PM »
Maybe he doesn't want Julia to leave.....he's a stalker.

Offline Schmoe

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 03:08:45 PM »
It's possible Ben does not want anyone to leave.  Some other "Others" may want to leave and Ben is trying to prevent it.  I agree he manipulated Locke to blow the hatch but I think he also set things up so they would blow the flame and the sub also.  He sent Mike and Walt on a wild goose chase (they will return) and was upset when he found out about the sailboat (get it for us so we can control it).

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 03:13:38 PM »
In the most recent podcast, the producers said that Ben was not aware of the Swan and it implications. He thought the button pushing was useless, but he was wrong.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 06:27:06 PM »
Has anyone noticed that, whenever Ben sends one of the Other's on a task, they end up dead.  Ethan....Black Other Lady....Mikail....that guy with the tailers.

Offline thlaylirah

• OTHERS 
  • DHARMA Scientist
  • Wicked Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:36:29 PM »
You dont even know their names?
I guess we'll just have to adjust

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 06:39:03 PM »
I don't even watch the show.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 06:50:44 PM »
In the most recent podcast, the producers said that Ben was not aware of the Swan and it implications. He thought the button pushing was useless, but he was wrong.

cha-ching!! we have a winner!!!

thanks juggy!!

Offline Psych0666

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 08:47:24 PM »

I don't suppose they said anything about The Pearl did they, cos if Ben knew about that and had seen the orientation video for it he'd have every reason to believe The Swan was bogus, but then if he never even knew about The Swan he'd not have known about The Pearl either, dammit I just shafted me own thought... gutted..... wait does The Pearl video even mention The Swan by name or does it just say stuff about the people there and what they're doing? I'd watch the episode again but I am unable too cos I don't have it.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 08:58:12 PM »
I was one who believed that Ben manipulated the button-pushing at the Swan because of his attitude about the whole thing.  But I heard that podcast, too, and it shot that theory down.  Only, how could Ben not know about the Swan if the operations manuals were kept at the Flame? 

I'm telling ya, the more I go in circles, the crazier I get with this stuff.  I think we are the test subjects of a really cruel joke!! ;D

Offline Psych0666

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 09:08:29 PM »
I was one who believed that Ben manipulated the button-pushing at the Swan because of his attitude about the whole thing.  But I heard that podcast, too, and it shot that theory down.  Only, how could Ben not know about the Swan if the operations manuals were kept at the Flame? 

I'm telling ya, the more I go in circles, the crazier I get with this stuff.  I think we are the test subjects of a really cruel joke!! ;D

I forgot about those manuals at The Flame, man that makes no sense, unless DHARMA got rid of all references to The Swan after the incident, so no one would know about it, except the people in The Swan and the people in The Pearl who were made to believe it was all crap anyway, ach I dunno.

Offline SLAsh

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 01:41:54 PM »
Wait, if Ben didn't even know about the Swan Station, how could he have known about the the failsafe key that would lead to the implosion of the hatch. I'm guessing no one, except the Dharma workers, knew about the the key and what it would do to the station.

Oh and one more thing... the Ben-Locke sequences are just amazing.

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 04:22:22 PM »
I have always thought that Bendidn't know about the hatch until he got there - nor did he know the implications of not pushing the button

If he had know about the hatch then he would have known that Dessie was there and his boat was close by.

I think he was just injecting doubt in Lockes head to mess with him.

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 04:41:36 PM »

How in the world does Ben NOT know about the Swan? I think he HAD to know - he was working soooo hard on Locke, and either did a fantastic job or Locke has something up his sleeve, as per usual. Ben has lived on this island his entire life. Even if he was restricted to certain areas as a child, as an adult he seems to have full control over what is happening. He had to know about the Swan - the island is only so big, I would think he had seen ALL of it over the last ~40 years.
And of course, the manuals.
So, I think Ben wanted both hatches to ex/implode, but I don't know why he would want the Swan gone yet. Maybe there were ways to communicate in there that the Losties never knew about... who knows?
I think he knew that Desmond was in there, I mean, they WERE being videotaped and Ben is a known 'watcher'. So long as Ben wanted the hatch around and so long as people were pushing the button, there were no problems. He wanted the hatch gone, so he messed with Locke a bit and BOOM. Done.
I think Ben gets what he wants!  ::)

Except for the sub being blown up  ;D

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 04:43:41 PM »
I think for most cases the others leave that part of the island alone. I do not believe that they have control over smokie. Ben did not know about the sailboat either. Ben did not know much about the hatch or anything on that side of the island.