Author Topic: Why Dark Meat?  (Read 12140 times)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Why Dark Meat?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2007, 06:45:51 PM »
Another time period in which iron deficiency is pronounced is pregnancy.... Maybe Julia was successful in planting a clone in Ben's body and he's going to be a mama. 

Yes, it is a whacky thread.....buy I also love to watch House.
Creative thinking, but you'd think that Jack would have caught that during the recent tests/surgery.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 06:51:16 PM »
I doubt that Jack gave him a pregnancy test.  Plus, he probably presumed that Ben was a virgin.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2007, 06:52:49 PM »
I doubt that Jack gave him a pregnancy test.  Plus, he probably presumed that Ben was a virgin.
With all the labs that he ran to prep him for spinal surgery, Jack would know if Ben were pregnant.  Besides, Juliet would have told him.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 06:57:21 PM »
But, if he dies before his delivery date (where would the baby come out!) then it's all for nothing.  Ben is expecting....that's why he got his iron and vitamin C. 

Ben expecting would also explain his moodiness and the fact that he ate half a chicken by himself despite just having surgery a week before.  Oh to finally have a minni-me on the show.  I can't wait for season four.

Did anyone notice that Ben's toilet paper comes over the top instead of coming off from underneath? s

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2007, 06:59:19 PM »
puff....i have to tell you, i thoroughly enjoy your posts 60% of the time all the time.....but this one??? was it serious? or a joke?? i didnt make it all the way down the first page

if this is serious, then it is a serious case of RTFIT's

if not, great post, lots of laughs

;)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2007, 07:14:24 PM »
60% is an improvement.  I was going to start a thread debating what was coming out of Rosseau's left nostril when she was watching Alex, but that would have been obviously a joke, or would it?

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 07:16:05 PM »
cbw420, did you read the unifying theory of lost?

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2007, 07:21:02 PM »

yes i have, it makes so much sense it pisses me off, lol

i'm not gonna lie, i had to read it a few times before i grasped onto it, but yeah i like it

like some others though, i just dont know if they would base the show around this (totally that is) merely because the average lost fan wouldnt comprehend it

good catch bro

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2007, 06:23:30 AM »
Does anyone think that the eating of chicken seems to pervade many of the themes...Hurley, Locke, the tailenders....
why so much darn chicken?
There's been just as much beef, boar, & fish eating.  I really think this is a fruitless discussion. :-\ IMO :)
ROFLMAO.....talking about eating meat is fruitless....you are right PL!!!!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2007, 10:55:02 AM »
Ben ate the dark meat first cause he likes it better.

Me? I'd eat the legs first, then go on to the rest of the chicken. But that's my personal preference.

I think we should start a poll on what type of chicken people like better.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2007, 12:53:44 PM »
Does anyone think that the eating of chicken seems to pervade many of the themes...Hurley, Locke, the tailenders....
why so much darn chicken?
There's been just as much beef, boar, & fish eating.  I really think this is a fruitless discussion. :-\ IMO :)
ROFLMAO.....talking about eating meat is fruitless....you are right PL!!!!
;D  YAY!  I made a punny! :P ::) :)

Ben ate the dark meat first cause he likes it better.

Me? I'd eat the legs first, then go on to the rest of the chicken. But that's my personal preference.

I think we should start a poll on what type of chicken people like better.
Please don't. :-\ :)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2007, 01:25:09 PM »
Another day another "I can't believe this thread is alive" sigh

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2007, 01:26:45 PM »
I'm still saying that about 3 or 4 of this weeks threads.  I hope it doesn't get too out of control again after tomorrow. :-[

Offline a_dot_out

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2007, 01:40:17 PM »
Aren't you a moderator here now? Can't you just lock this thread? It is a complete mess and could easily be continued in one of the social forums. Maybe move it there?

To be fair, I can see how one could argue the recurrent light/dark theme, but that is all it is. There really is not more to discuss beyond that.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2007, 07:16:36 PM »
Magnetite is highly concentrated in the dark meat of tropical chickens and.....

Magnets: A Cause for Pause
By John Upledger, DO, OMM

Recent discussions about the therapeutic use of magnets bring to mind the story of Madame Marie Curie, who discovered the x-ray. Curie and her husband suffered great damage to their fingers from the ionizing radiation they worked with during their research. Apparently they were not aware that their new diagnostic tool, although invisible, could have harmful effects.

The magnetic field has also been shown to have powerful effects - both healing and destructive - upon living systems. In our eagerness to find new therapeutic methods, I wonder if we may be getting carried in our use of magnets.

The effects of artificial magnetic fields on humans became startlingly evident during the early manned space flights. Both U.S. and Soviet scientists were forced to concede that magnetic fields might have a powerful effect upon human health and function. Subsequent investigations confirmed that changes in magnet field intensity, vector orientation and polarity exert significant influence on living systems in space.

These studies have implications for the earthbound as they refute several long-held scientific dogmas. For instance, one principle held that humans do not have any permanently magnetized materials in their tissues. In fact, the brain contains about five million single-domain crystals of magnetite per gram of tissue, and the meningeal membranes contain 100 million of these crystals per gram of tissue.

These findings are of particular interest to those working with the craniosacral system. It is possible that the energies perceived by craniosacral therapy practitioners as signals of membrane restrictions are related to these magnetite crystals. The mobilization of the meningeal membranes through craniosacral therapy may have an as-yet-uknown positive effect upon the magnetic aspects of these membranes.

Meanwhile, the earth's magnetic fields - called geomagnetic fields (GMF) - are constantly fluctuating due to internal and external influences. These fluctuations seem to be self-correcting, such that the natural magnetic fields remain within the limits that make earth habitable. Continental shifts; explosions; earthquakes; sunspots; eclipses; atmospheric pollutants; lightening; thunderstorms; hurricanes; and cyclones can influence the GMF.

For a simple example of how we are affected by subtle changes in the earth's magnetic field, consider what happens during a full moon: some people report experiencing irrational thoughts or malaise. The earth has an overall positive charge that increases during the full moon. Yet most people seem to feel and function better in an abundance of negative ions. It has also been noted that human oxygen consumption goes up during the full moon, and blood and lymph become somewhat less viscous.

The effects of magnetic fields also have been observed at a cellular level. A researcher at Cal Tech in Pasadena, California hypothesized that individual cells may possess sensory systems that respond to weak magnetic fields. He noticed that extremely low frequency (ELF) electromagnetic fields change the cellular protein structures, which disrupts the transport of proteins and other substances within the cells. Clearly, disruption of the magnetic field of a cell may ultimately disable it to some degree, and may even cause cell death.

By chance, I came across some startling examples of the effects of magnetic fields on living systems in a book by a farmer named Davis. He and a friend became curious about the effects of magnets on crops and farm animals. They divided vegetable seeds into two batches, then exposed them to either the north or south pole of a bar magnet before planting them.

The men noticed that the seeds exposed to the south pole grew more rapidly, and the vegetables grew much larger than the others. Unfortunately, they were also dry, woody and inedible. The north pole vegetables, although smaller, were moist, tender and pleasant tasting.

Next, the men exposed fertilized chicken eggs to magnets. Again, the chickens exposed to the north pole grew slower and remained smaller than the other chickens. Yet here's what really caught Davis' attention: the south-pole chickens were very aggressive. They would fight to the death. By contrast, the smaller north-pole chickens were quite peaceful. If allowed to mingle, the south-pole chickens would attack and kill the other chickens, then pick apart their victims and eat some of the flesh. This particular observation suggests the possibility of hormonal effects caused by the magnet.

After this book piqued my curiosity, I discovered, along with Jon Vredevoogd, my co-researcher at Michigan State University, that we could use magnetic fields to cause and relieve headaches, nausea and mental confusion. We also found that increases and decreases in craniosacral system pulse amplitude were closely related to changing magnetic fields.

I suggest that, because human and other living systems appear able to create their own permanent magnetic materials, they possess some ability, albeit limited, to modify most external magnetic fields to acceptable levels. It also seems reasonable to expect that long-term exposure to unnatural external magnetic fields might ultimately drain these protective systems of their ability to neutralize and/or modify the effects of these external magnetic fields.

If the body's defenses are not able to neutralize abnormal external magnetic fields, many serious things can happen. Magnetic field exposure could lead to distortion in the cellular production of hormones, various cellular dysfunctions and ultimately, cell death.

Externally created magnetic fields can also interfere with normal cellular activity by creating a "static" that interferes with communication between separate cells and structures within cells. This type of exposure has been seen to interfere with the cell's ability to block disease-causing proteins. Thus, the cell may become more vulnerable to disease-causing invaders such as viruses and bacteria, and to the acceptance of toxic substances.