Author Topic: Is Locke Living a Double Life?  (Read 4113 times)

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Is Locke Living a Double Life?
« on: March 23, 2007, 08:29:11 PM »
Locke either has two lives he lives or else he has a split personality.

Consider the "prop errors" constantly popping up in his flashbacks.  Possibly, he has two versions of himself, and two id's to correspond

Consider his hunter vs. farmer lifestyles, and the fact that he couldnt readily answer Eddie's question.  One life, he is dealing with drugs, guns, deception.  He also seems happy and content.  In another life, he works in trival little jobs (department store stocker, box company) and is also depressed, angry, and full of dissapointment.

What do we all think?

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
Re: Is Locke Living a Double Life?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:33:52 PM »
In addition to that...

if locke didnt blow up the sub we can assume he moved it.  references to his military ability have shown up,  locke telling ben that for all he knew he could've been in the navy  .. (or something...)

also he is called 'colonel locke' on the phone at his box company.

maybe the others aren't aware of his 'other life'

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:47:06 PM »
Well, his mother was clinically schitzophrenic and it could have passed on to him. 

Offline FUTUREpaint

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 09:10:32 PM »
Hallo, new here.

I'm very interested in this topic, and have been wondering, what was that framed 'picture' behind Locke when he was eating in front of the TV?  It looked like a collection of military insignia.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:42:30 PM »
schitzophreniaaaaa.. how many of ya got it :D

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 11:09:32 PM »
I do...........me, too.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 12:30:59 AM »
I think you are right, FUTUREpaint, it does look like military marks.  I think we still have an awful lot to find out about this character...

Also, in his room, was a picture of the American flag... so he could just be a patriot!  But I counted THREE separate Chinese food containers scattered around also!  What could this mean?!

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 12:43:03 AM »
^ i dont know, what could it mean?

he likes chinese food?

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 12:49:14 AM »
...or so they want us to think...

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 02:08:17 AM »
yes he has 2 personalities, but i just see it as how he has changed.  i am very different than i was 10 years ago too.  so we need to be looking at what changed his personality/actions rather than how they changed. 

he was happy, involved in the "commune" and living an ideal life (at least in his own lives.)  i'm assuming that something brought that life to a halt, be it eddie, or locke himself.  from there he had NO family.  just his crazy mom.  that HAD to depress him.  which also led to anger over his father and the relationship he never had.  he had clinical depression, was being treated for both it and ANGER.  then he met helen.  his life seemed up, postive and great.  except for one thing.  his unresolved relationship with his dad.  that led to locke sabotoging his relationship with helen subconsciously.  his dad needed the transplant...  etc.etc...  helen is gone, locke is back to being depressed locke.  down and out locke.  then he gets visit from son of dad's girlfriend....  etc.etc....  ends up paralized by daddy.  now he's really depressed down and out, and just hopeless.  he's just working enough to get by, doing whatever he can. 

this island is locke's second chance.  his chance at a NEW life, a different life, a life completely separate from his father.  and now his father is part of it.  i think we are going to see down and out locke return.  but with a little more vengence. 

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 05:20:38 AM »
Does anyone know why Locke was dripping wet when he came back from apparently planging the explosives in the submarine? I didn't think he needed to swim out to it, but I could be wrong.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 08:04:30 AM »
I don't know. First I agreed with the idea he exploded the sib, but again, he is wet and the explosion apeared to happen under the dock, at the side of the submarine. And Locke went directly to the command of the machine.
He might have opened the tanks very little, and that way set the submerging. After that set the C4 under the dock to simulate the explosion. The arrival of the party in time for the show was a bonus.
He asserted the he believed in Alex.

About the military past, the asshole Mr. Cluck Manager already told that never happened, and Colonel Locke was only a way to Locke deal with all the tragedies that happened in his life, and the idiot ruined it. Hurley  should have fired the dumbass.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 07:55:08 AM »
I don't think he has any military training beyond becoming more motivated to learn about hunting and survival after his dad conned him out of his kidney.  And he probably fantasizes about being a great hunter when he's really working in a crappy box company paralyzed in a wheel chair.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 11:41:05 AM »
All right!  Well I'm trying to rationalize the prop errors! Ha!

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 03:51:10 PM »
As far as the timeline is concerned, the first we see of Locke, he is working in that sporting goods/games store.  For all we know, he could've joined the military (Navy, probably) and that job came years later.  He does know where all the stuff is in the submarine, right down to the light switch in the bunk area.  Someone who doesn't know about subs would not know that that particular panel was for lights.