Author Topic: READ ME BEFORE POSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5011 times)

Offline thlaylirah

• OTHERS 
  • DHARMA Scientist
  • Wicked Rabbit
    • View Profile
READ ME BEFORE POSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: March 23, 2007, 04:03:06 PM »
UPDATE

I have had to merge more topics on this episode than in the entire first 3 seasons of Lost.  Please read the whole board before posting to avoid repeated posts.  If this contines, users maybe required to have a minimum numbers of posts before they are allowed to create a new thread. 

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 04:42:55 PM by THLAYLIRAH »
I guess we'll just have to adjust

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Repeated Posts
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 04:08:28 PM »
Thanks Craig, I was getting a bit confused wondering if I had already read a thread but I hadn't!     ??? ::)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 03:53:51 AM »
If we notice repeated threads, should we PM the creator of the thread to request a merge by the Mods, click "Report to Moderator," PM a Mod directly...

How is this best handled to more efficiently organize all the info?

Offline thlaylirah

• OTHERS 
  • DHARMA Scientist
  • Wicked Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 10:11:27 AM »
PMing a mod or reporting the thread to us all works.  Which ever you feel more comfortable with.  If you do report it, make sure to list why.

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
Re: READ ME BEFORE POSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 12:14:28 AM »
Awesome. I'm tired of reading the same theory by 15 people. Let's join forces and prove the theories in ONE thread.

Thanks for the advice Thlay!

scrod

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 12:17:40 AM »
Good deal, Thlay!  Any way to broadcast this to ensure everyone reads it?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 04:23:38 AM »
Good points, glad this is being emphasized. Too many duplicate threads clogging up the pages.

Btw, I have reason to believe that the sub was NOT really blown up!! I should make a thread about it...

Offline thlaylirah

• OTHERS 
  • DHARMA Scientist
  • Wicked Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 10:00:05 AM »
If the repeated posting continues, I may ask Sledge if we can post an article on the main page about it.  I will also be posting a similar thread like this in the next episodes page before it airs so maybe everyone will read it before the posting begins. 

Also, I appreciate all of the user's support that I have been getting over this issue.  I know Juggy and Astro feel the same as I do on this issue, but I was afraid I would come off as a hard @$$.  It's glad to know that you all feel the same as we do.  This is why we have the best members.  Thank you.  :D

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
Good points, glad this is being emphasized. Too many duplicate threads clogging up the pages.

Btw, I have reason to believe that the sub was NOT really blown up!! I should make a thread about it...
>:( Sooo not funny.

:D

Offline Cardacct

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 11:04:38 PM »
Thank you, thank you so much, Thlay.  I had to stick to the chat page, curled up in a ball in the corner and rocking while sucking my thumb because it bugged me so badly.

Thanks.  And may I make a suggestion that anyone who creates a thread should label the title properly so it's obvious that all the Sub stuff goes in the Sub thread, etc.  None of the "WTF was that..." and then it talks about Locke falling for eight stories.

mindsparkle

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 02:24:10 AM »
I understand the issues with multiple posts and empathize with the extra work it creates for you, Thlaylirah.  I, also, know that it really bugs people and agree the boards would be easier to navigate if there were less repetition. 

But, restricting people's ability to post a thread based their thread count seems harsh... some of us have been here a good while and just don't post every 30 seconds... maybe restrictions could be based on the member's start date or something? 

Hopefully, you won't have to make this kind of decision. I think there is also a learning curve here and people eventually catch on and review the threads before posting a new one...  isn't this something that you all experience with every new season and eventually it calms down?  Plus, I've seen nothing but apologies on the board when people do repeat post...  they are learning.

just two cents...

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 10:52:11 AM »
If the repeated posting continues, I may ask Sledge if we can post an article on the main page about it.  I will also be posting a similar thread like this in the next episodes page before it airs so maybe everyone will read it before the posting begins. 

Also, I appreciate all of the user's support that I have been getting over this issue.  I know Juggy and Astro feel the same as I do on this issue, but I was afraid I would come off as a hard @$$.  It's glad to know that you all feel the same as we do.  This is why we have the best members.  Thank you.  :D
Thlay, if you didn't come of as a hard @$$, where would this site be? It would certainly not be the SWLS that we know and love ;)

But seriously, thanks for merging!

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 04:19:40 PM »
Good idea!

I use to make some new threads that weren't necessary - but now, after getting use to the whole site, I almost never need to start my own!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 04:53:48 PM »

100% agreement! The number of complaints we are getting over this shows that most people are in agreement that it was a problem over the last week. Hopefully this week will be more organized. People just need to take a moment and check what is already posted.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 05:18:50 PM »
I agree also and with the support we'll get from all of you we shouldn't need to take drastic measures.  Please remember if you see duplicate threads and decide to report it to a mod, be very clear which topic you think the reported one should merge with.  We can also give "friendly reminders" at first to users who seem to regularly created un-needed topics to hopefully get it all worked out. 

Thanks all for the support!