Author Topic: Is The Island an Entity Unto Itself?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Is The Island an Entity Unto Itself?
« on: March 23, 2007, 02:07:59 PM »
Ecko speaks to the image of his brother, the entity replies...Do you think that I am your brother.  The island is a living entity, able to hide itself, able to defend itself (black plume), and has a quality that allows healing and the traversing of realities.

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Is The Island an Entity Unto Itself?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 02:11:12 PM »
I have been slow to come around to this line of thinking but... it is starting to grow on me. Ben and Locke talk having a 'relationship' with the island and I'm starting to wonder if it is the island that is trying to kill Desmond Charlie (thanks).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:33:57 PM by CurtYanko »

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 02:19:05 PM »
you mean Charlie?

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 03:21:19 PM »
I think The Island certainly is an entity.  It's why I will heretofore designate it with capital letters.

It must be a woman, too.  I base this one:

- Peaks
- Fickle
- Vengeful
- A line that must not be crossed

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 07:56:26 PM »
If the island were an entity unto itself, it would help to explain why no one can find it.  One would assume that offshore someone somewhere would have a map of the island, if nothing else, for all the financial investment it holds.  However, it could be that the island is perhaps manufactured.  We all saw those pipes coming out if it, it is run by a giant magnet, all those cumbersome underground tunnels... Almost like a very elaborate ship, made to resemble an island, and eden almost, for those scientists seeking a utopian society.  Why find an island if you can just make one? 

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 09:30:36 PM »
If the island were an entity unto itself, it would help to explain why no one can find it.  One would assume that offshore someone somewhere would have a map of the island, if nothing else, for all the financial investment it holds.  However, it could be that the island is perhaps manufactured.  We all saw those pipes coming out if it, it is run by a giant magnet, all those cumbersome underground tunnels... Almost like a very elaborate ship, made to resemble an island, and eden almost, for those scientists seeking a utopian society.  Why find an island if you can just make one? 

I believe in this theory.  I would almost have to add that maybe they took an island that already existed and manufactured it to their specifications.  Unless that is what the Black Rock was doing in the area.  Maybe the Black Rock was there with mining supplies, explosives, and slaves to start the reconditioning of the island.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 12:14:34 AM »
I think that the island is probably female and susceptible to pms. 

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 10:04:42 AM »
Yes. We saw an episode of this in the pilot, only we assumed it was some large beast traveling through the jungle.

We also witnessed a PMS attack when the island turned on Locke and then returned to normal [You dirty rotten son of a......................... oh I love you]  :D

mindsparkle

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 03:30:27 AM »
I gotta give it to you guys that's some pretty funny stuff...  ;D ;D ;D

I do believe the island is alive and that it has control over everything the losties, others, every aspect of the show... I think it is a thinking, feeling, living entity... it is other worldly and it works in tandem with the losties' mind set, or perhaps Danielle's... but it does need and want to give to that human element...

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 01:01:02 PM »
The magic box is a contained version of the black monster.

When Locke bonds with the beast, he is not killed.  In fact, he has already been healed by the island.

The black monster also gives you what you want most.... In the case of Mr. Echo, his guilt regarding his brother meant that what he wanted most was to die.  The apparition is clear in telling him that he is not his brother.

In the case of Locke, I believe that smokey gave him insight into the history and meaning of the island.

Hence, Locke refers to the Others as cheaters.... pharasies (sp?).