Author Topic: The others obviously don't know everything..  (Read 1370 times)

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
The others obviously don't know everything..
« on: March 22, 2007, 01:42:49 PM »
... Or else they would have known of the importance of the Swan station. If they knew the Swan was vital to maintaining their communications, and if they knew what was happening at the Swan, they undoubtedly would have sent a SWAT team to it as soon as Locke and our losties took over the station.

So here is my only explanation of their relation to the island.

Dharma was in first. They set up the facilities, and ran experiments until the incident (whatever that is). Powerful men (Hanso, Widmore, etc.) knew of the experiment and Island and like good corporate raiders stepped in and took over when things went bad, and effectively took over the Dharma initiative. (we know this from continued food drops, and their recruiting of Juliette).

But they don't really know all of the secrets of the island, and the consequences of the original DeGroot Dharma research.

Thoughts?

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: The others obviously don't know everything..
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 01:52:49 PM »
Well, this is my guess so far... and it really is closer to a guess than a logical hypothesis.

The Dharma initiative began in the 70's with the DeGroots and Alvar Hanso. The DeGroots are Ben's parents. Ben was raised according to a philosophy that is supposedly utopian, but is more likely a stalinist perversion of utopianism (a ruling elite giving the others the impression that decisions are made by the group, when they are really made by a chosen manipulative few). The DeGroots died and are our adam and eve skeltons, Ben lives on as the leader of what is left of the Dharma initiative.

Sometime during the Dharma experiments there was a split. Two warring factions emerged. Ben's utopians and another faction. Ben's faction won obviously. I'm still mulling this over, so I haven't pieced everything together yet, but that's about where I'm at now.

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 01:53:16 PM »
Good thoughts, but Hanso created Dharma and Mittlework took over.

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 02:19:05 PM »
Well, this is my guess so far... and it really is closer to a guess than a logical hypothesis.

The Dharma initiative began in the 70's with the DeGroots and Alvar Hanso. The DeGroots are Ben's parents. Ben was raised according to a philosophy that is supposedly utopian, but is more likely a stalinist perversion of utopianism (a ruling elite giving the others the impression that decisions are made by the group, when they are really made by a chosen manipulative few). The DeGroots died and are our adam and eve skeltons, Ben lives on as the leader of what is left of the Dharma initiative.

Sometime during the Dharma experiments there was a split. Two warring factions emerged. Ben's utopians and another faction. Ben's faction won obviously. I'm still mulling this over, so I haven't pieced everything together yet, but that's about where I'm at now.

But if that were the case then sure Ben would have known of the Swan hatch, and its importance, and they never would have let if fall into unsecured hands. The others have proven that they use the hatches, and if Ben was the son of the DeGroot's he would know of the Swan (actually he did know of it because he was kept imprisoned in it), and furthermore he lied to Locke about pushing the button.

Wait a minute, train of thought...... Just like Ben used Locke to blow up the sub, he used Locke to destroy the Swan station. HE DID KNOW IT'S IMPORTANCE. Ben does not want ANYONE to leave the island, and has used Locke to destroy all means to. Swan demolition - lack of communication. Flame demolition - total destruction of communication abiliities (though Ben did not manipulate him into doing that, that was a freebie), sub demolition - total destruction of physical ability to leave island.

But why does he not want anyone to leave? Loneliness? Does our boy Ben like being the leader so much that he is afraid people will leave him when given a chance.

Must be nice to be the king of the island, but if the Island had no inhabitants the only thing left would be utter madness.

Thoughts?

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 02:29:21 PM »
This last post has some interesting ideas.  I would only add that maybe events were put into place to get John to destroy the Flame station...events under the control of Ben such as the behavior of Patchy and Klugh, the on-screen prompts, maybe even the meddling of Rousseau and Ecko's stick which we think are not under his direct control.

The DeGroots died and are our adam and eve skeltons

This prompts the question: why would they be in a cave far away from "civilization"?

The most likely answer is that they fled the barracks, probably as a result of the purge.

Offline roger_workman

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 02:37:17 PM »
I really like those ideas, but it could be a very long time before those theories are either proven or disproved...

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 02:54:47 PM »
TPTB  have already stated they were not aware of everything