Author Topic: Does Otherville know about The Flame and Bea?  (Read 5491 times)

Offline eelpie62

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Does Otherville know about The Flame and Bea?
« on: March 22, 2007, 11:45:45 AM »
We know that the vid feeds were working after the implosion of the Swan because the mission to the Pearl got Patchy on one of the monitors.
The Others don't seem to know (or care) what happened to The Flame and Mrs. Klugh. Ben barely blinked when Locke admitted to killing Patchy, just said "you must have been to The Flame so you must know about the explosives."
I think this is my first new topic. I looked for a catch-all season three forum, couldn't find one so I'm posting this here. I guess it does kind of go in to Locke and Ben's meeting in this episode and doesn't have any spoilers so with luck I won't get a yellow card from the mods.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Does Otherville know about The Flame and Bea?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:50:15 AM »
Not only that, but were Ben and Patchy the only two "Others" who knew about the underwater beacon no longer working, and how what that means about their abilty to leave the island? Because nobody seemed to mind that letting Jack and Juliette leave would effectively remove the sub from their use anyway. Seemed like everyone else just expected the sub to return.

Offline Psych0666

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 12:02:48 PM »
I'm assuming that like a covert operation some things are on a need to know basis, so that information about the beacon would've been told to Ben and Ben alone, (maybe in a memo FAO Ben only lol), and it's Bens choice to tell people, remember he said that most of the people on the island were recruited, and although love the Island need the illusion of being able to leave. Makes sense to me that either he knew and didn't tell anyone, or that he didn't know and only found out when Locke turned up and he "deduced" that they'd been to The Flame and blew it up Either way he wouldn't have told anyone to keep the illusion that they could still leave alive

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 12:11:49 PM »
I wonder why Patchy needed to know about the beacon, then?...

Offline Psych0666

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:18:48 PM »
Because Patchy was stationed at The Flame, twas his job??? only thing that makes sense to me, like he reports things to a particular person, it runs through the channels to the top dog, so in the end only a few people would know about it, or he a phone that only rang Ben... maybe lol

scrod

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »
I wonder why Patchy needed to know about the beacon, then?...
In the flame was the entire operations notes and manual for the project.  Stuck in a remote station with a few cows, might as well do some reading.  Plus Mikhail was a military guy, like Kelvin, so may been given all the background information that other recruits did not get.  He may have needed to know because fo his role as technical support.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 01:03:07 PM »
Or maybe it was just that
an "illusion"
Maybe there never really was a way off the island but the sub was some kind of prop for "illusion" sake to keep people content

I know far fetched but hey!

BRBob

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 01:25:37 PM »
I don't think the sub was a prop. Juliette came to this island about 3 years prior and I don't think she would be fooled by a fake submarine.

I think Klugh and Patchy were banished from the main group and sent to the Flame.
I don't think the Others like the Dharma stations and only use them for emergencies.

I think Klugh got in trouble because she made the deal with Michael.

Offline Radzinsky

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 04:21:14 PM »
There are definately underground tunnels/passageways leading to & from Othersville, explaining how Patchy & Ms Klugh got to the Flame station. Ms. Klugh probably hangs out with Mikhail cos she can speak Russian.

I like to see the Lost staff do an episode based on these underground tinnels/passageways, that would be awesome!! I think all of the hatches/stations used to be connected underground once upon a time.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 08:35:40 PM »
All this talk about the others got me thinking...

If the purge people (the others, as we know them, it seems) came over on a submarine, how long would this have taken?  I know that the sub was full of bunks, but would it have been enough to house all the others on the first trip?  I assume it would have taken several trips, not just because of the size of the bunk, but also because there needed to be time enough to recruit people.  I'm not sure about the other's timeline besides Juliette, who has been here over 3 years.  As for the other others, they could have been here far longer.
so...

It would be my theory that the others came under the assume identities of new Dharma scientists, then once there were enough 'fakes' they took over.  This could explain why Tom knew how long it took the bears to figure out the fish-cake machine.  He could have been following along on the same studies and experiements that the real Dharma originals were doing.
I also believe that Hanso initiated the others to begin the purge.  If for no other reason, m'guts.

Um.  Well I bet we'll find out the answer come Juliette's flashback episode, which as far as I may show her submarine journey to the island.

Any other thoughts about the origins?

Offline daisyrain

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 08:53:01 PM »
There are definately underground tunnels/passageways leading to & from Othersville, explaining how Patchy & Ms Klugh got to the Flame station. Ms. Klugh probably hangs out with Mikhail cos she can speak Russian.

I like to see the Lost staff do an episode based on these underground tinnels/passageways, that would be awesome!! I think all of the hatches/stations used to be connected underground once upon a time.

I like the idea of underground tunnels too but when the Losties first arrived at the Flame Sayid noticed a saddled horse and from that knew that Patchy wasn;t alone. Klugh wasn't kicked out of otherville she was visiting/meeting with Mikhail.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 08:58:15 PM »
Maybe Klugh doooooes live with Mikhail.  I mean... they both speak Russian and look like they could use some lovin.  Plus, the horse being saddled could just always be outside.  She would had to have taken the horse through the tunnels to avoid the security system surrounding othersville.  If Goodwin and Ethan could make it to either side of the island in record time, I dont see why Klugh would take a horse instead of walking.  I dont have a map to reference the locations, though.

Offline Psych0666

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »
Or maybe the horse lived at The Flame and she'd walked there, maybe gone out fruit picking in the early hours of the morning, taking the horse with her of-course she can't carry all that fruit by herself you know and, 'cos hell, it's right there ready to be ridden, before retiring to the station for some refreshments a quick shoot out and hide in the basement... normal day really. At least thats what I reckon.

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 03:32:24 PM »
How do we know they really lost commutations with the outside world? They could be lying to Locke and the others for some reason.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 03:58:25 PM »
How do we know they really lost commutations with the outside world? They could be lying to Locke and the others for some reason.
i think they are lying.  i think they can still communicate, or at least, ben can still communicate.  i think he might be lying to "his people" also, so everyone believes that there is no way of communication.