Author Topic: Ben, Locke and the Island  (Read 3384 times)

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Ben, Locke and the Island
« on: March 22, 2007, 04:36:04 AM »
So Ben finally confirmed that he was born on the island and that he's lived on it for his whole life.

The island itself is almost like a unique, seperate character on the show.

I loved the role reversal and interplay between Ben and Locke in this last episode. Apparently, both individuals have certain ties/connections to the island - whether it be the island's potential healing properties or their current residential situation. Neither one of them seem to want to leave and now Ben's secured his status as an authority figure among the Others since Locke played into his plans by blowing up the sub. There's no more sub and no more communication with the outside world (we think), so are they all stuck on the island for good?

And why is the island so magical all of a sudden, healing a few but not all?

What are your thoughts?

Whose hypotheses on this theory (of Ben being born on the island) were right?

Any new theories developping? Discuss away... :)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Ben, Locke and the Island
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:51:22 AM »
I had theorized a long time ago that Ben was born on the island, and that "Adam" and "Eve" found in the cave were his parents...not sure if I'm right on the last part, but I was right on the first part lol.

I'm also confused by the logic used by Ben concerning the sub...he said if he let Jack leave he would lose his stature as an authority figure because everyone would see him as weak, yet if he went back on his word--or worse, killed Jack--he would probably lose even more of his stature.

However, two point:

1) He already let Micheal and Walt leave.
2) He already promised Jack and Juliette could leave, so theoretically his stature as an authority figure already took the hit. Just because Locke blew up the sub doesn't erase the weakness that everyone would have seen in his allowing Jack to leave in the first place.

As for the island curing Locke but not Ben, I'm cracking up at how so many of us were saying the exact same damn thing lol. We saw it as a script flaw or at the very least poorly thoughtout logic, but maybe we were wrong.

Offline DaddyBeast

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 08:56:31 AM »
Mike and Walt didn't have to leave for Ben to be telling the truth.  Ben said they would find "Rescue", whatever that means.

BRBob

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:57:39 AM »
He didn't make the deal to let Michael and Walt go, Mrs. Klugh did.

I think the Others don't approve of cold blooded murder, Juliette was going to be killed for killing an Other. Self defense is another thing. I bet if Pickett had killed Sawyer, they would have punished him too.

I don't think Ben ever planned to let Jack go. He had an ace up his sleeve for Locke and I bet he has something on Jack too. I said that he would spring the "Your half sister and nephew are on the island, and might need a doctor" line right before Jack boarded the sub. Jack would never leave family behind, especially a baby. Maybe Ben would pull another, here is your father moment "Get me the Alcoholic"

As far as Juliette is concerned, Ben could spring something about Julie's sister. Something about his associates have been watching her and might not understand Juliettes sudden appearance. That is kind of lame, but I'm tired.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 10:47:13 AM »

I don't think Ben ever planned to let Jack go. He had an ace up his sleeve for Locke and I bet he has something on Jack too. I said that he would spring the "Your half sister and nephew are on the island, and might need a doctor" line right before Jack boarded the sub. Jack would never leave family behind, especially a baby. Maybe Ben would pull another, here is your father moment "Get me the Alcoholic"
LMAO!  :D "Get me the Alcoholic" cracked me up!!
Yeah i find it hard to beleive that Ben would have actually let Jack & Jules go too.. I think he had something up his sleeve but Locke just made him not have to use it just yet.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 11:35:33 AM »

LMAO!  :D "Get me the Alcoholic" cracked me up!!
Yeah i find it hard to beleive that Ben would have actually let Jack & Jules go too.. I think he had something up his sleeve but Locke just made him not have to use it just yet.

Ben himself said he didn't, though...he said Locke came out of the jungle to the rescue cuz he felt as if he was caught between a rock and a hard place. Also, I forgot about Klugh being the one who made the deal, so that clears my first point up lol (I wonder if that's why Klugh wasn't with the Others and was instead with the Russian guy: she lost her standing in the Others community?).

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 11:40:09 AM »
Just this thought popped into my head

They will all be given the chance to do things over on the island
and make different choices etc...
So Locke gets another chance with his dad and how will he react?
Sawyer comes face to face with the real Sawyer and how will he react?
Back to....this is all a grand experiment of some sort.  They were all planned/taken to the island not an accident.

A chance to relive and fix things from their past if given the opportunity how will they react?

Offline Zenobia

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 01:22:26 PM »
As for the island curing Locke but not Ben, I'm cracking up at how so many of us were saying the exact same damn thing lol. We saw it as a script flaw or at the very least poorly thoughtout logic, but maybe we were wrong.

I think the curative properties had something to do with the magnet and without the magnet - no miracle healing.

If this is true, then the hatch really did implode and the "pull/attraction" to the island is also gone.

Which also begs the question - why can't they just leave by boat now???

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 03:12:57 PM »
Okay old theroy but bears worth repeating when we saw Rose she is always sitting at the same exact place on the beach on the island.She went into the hatch a couple of times but decided not to do herlaundry in there but outside,why?Because she needed to be on the actual island on that particular beach to heelher cancer.
Locke's leg was not healing while he was pushig the buttons, he kept going outside, then  he had his talkwith Rose where it came out she knew about the wheelchair.
We saw  several shots of Locke sittig on the beach rubbing his leg then all of a sudden his leg was cured from accidetnt in hatch.It is something on that part of the island.  I  think that is why Ben was trying toget there. 
But if the implosion of the hatch ruined this magic then Locke would be aack in the wheelchair and Rose -who is off filming other movies-cancer would have come back.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 03:38:04 PM »
It occurred to me last night that this whole Ben being born on the island is so unique. Somehow he's managed to get in touch with the real world outside the island and yet he's managed to stay, get people to his island and then convince them to stay in the community he (or HIM or whoever) created. Like he said, the sub gave the mere illusion that people could go back and forth from the island but his main focus was to keep people on the island, paralleling Locke's desire to keep people from leaving so he can stay, as well.

It makes me wonder, who else was born on the island? Are there other island natives?

Wonder whatever happened to Ben, his parents, and how he got to or was born on the island. It makes sense then why he would be so close or affectionate to Alex because that whole father-daughter relationship gives him an opportunity to foster the connection that they have having both been born on the island. Bad news for Claire and her bay-beee.

Ben doesn't want to leave. And neither does Locke. So now it's more of a who wants to stay and who wants to get off the island issue. That's if, there is still a way to and from the island.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »
Ben was not born on the island.  Ben knows the secret of the island, he manipulates to his benefit he learned how to be deceptive and sly at an early age. 

He eventually lets them leave as we all know, but for reading people okay, but Des lost that ability and if Ben could then he would not have let his daughter be killed