Author Topic: Tom warning Jack  (Read 11848 times)

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Tom warning Jack
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 12:26:34 PM »
When jack went to see Kate at Tom's place, Tom warns Jack "to be care full in their" pointing to his ear. probably indicating that the place is bugged.

Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine...

There, not their...or they're.  :P

Is it really that hard? I see this mistake everywhere!

scrod

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 12:29:09 PM »
I was on two submarines during my Navy time. We navigated in the dark all the time. Two ways to do it (underwater):

1) Sonar - sound waves bouncing off of the sea floor in front of you give you an indication of the depth of the water you are going into. Gives you a sort of underwater map so that you don't run aground.

2) Dead Reckoning - If you have been using a specific navigational route for some time, you know where all of the hazards are. So you stay on a course for a certain distance, then turn X number of degrees to new heading XXX an travel for X distance, then turn X number of degrees on new heading XXX, etc.

On the surface, you use both Sonar and Radar. The sonar tells you the water depth so that you don't run aground, the Radar tells you what structures/vessels are above water.
You were in subs?  Dammit, now I have to respect you...

Would it be true then that sonar would not be subject to large electromagnetic interference, unlike compass, or even satellite signals?

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 02:54:34 PM »
When jack went to see Kate at Tom's place, Tom warns Jack "to be care full in their" pointing to his ear. probably indicating that the place is bugged.

lol-  me too!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 03:04:26 PM »
Tom was telling Jack that the room was bugged, don't get your self in trouble now. They have bonded over the time.

Plus Jack is Tom's type

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 03:15:19 PM »
Tom was telling Jack that the room was bugged, don't get your self in trouble now. They have bonded over the time.

Plus Jack is Tom's type

Exactly i posted a long time agoTom wasn't all he appeared tobe,may not actually care for all the others are doing.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 03:27:27 PM »

Plus Jack is Tom's type

Lol! You crazk me up!

Anyway, thanks for such a cool explanation on the sub Goober - you rock! :)

Offline Kurtis

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 03:27:53 PM »
I don't think Tom likes being a lackey. Also, when he asked Jack "what kind of people do you think we are" in the last epsiode, his reaction to Jack's response kind of said "oh yeah, we do kind of suck".  Maybe he's one of the Others that Ben was referencing to Locke, that need encouragement or to be reminded that they should stay on the Island of Mystery. Some of the cult members are having second thoughts about why they are there, probably as they see the body count rising around them!

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 03:35:48 PM »
Some points:

- Tom ratted out Juliet's plans for a coup after Jack blurted this info during the operation (iirc).  While he may be friendly with Jack (even...Mr Friendly?), I don't think he should be considered a conspirator based on his hand signal.  Maybe he's just indicating "don't say what you're not supposed to say...We're listening."

- Tom was aboard the boat (a tug?) which captured the raft.  He can probably navigate the High Seas and that's why he's accompanying the sub party.

Plus Jack is Tom's type

Man...that is just friggin hilarious!

Offline gakhandal

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 04:38:52 PM »

I to have a tidbit of my own. It involves people going off topic, not contributing to the conversation, just to point out 'common' grammatical mistakes.

I hope my previous posts don't affect your OCD.  ;D
I know it does for me... So i guess we're even

Tom was telling Jack that the room was bugged, don't get your self in trouble now.
Very possible, and its beginning to sound like I made a grave error in judgment.

I like to add that...  Wasn't Tom the one to shot Sawyer when they were on the raft? I'm not sure, but it was someone in that small group to shoot him. So if it was him, he's no as friendly as I recently thought, maybe?

I dunno, its all crazy, hope the next O.L. Podcast someone asks this question and we get a good answer.
They have bonded over the time.
Brokeback Island ???

Plus Jack is Tom's type.
That, I bet he is.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 05:06:10 PM by gakhandal »

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 05:48:45 PM »
I thought this scene was pretty odd too. I didn't know if Tom was doing the "she's loco" sign, if he was pointing to his head, refering to being monitored/wired, or if he was putting a gun to his head. Tom's just a weird guy.

And the whole dialogue between Jack and Kate was extremely unsual. Like Kate was trying to be affectionate and Jack was seemingly indifferent bringing up Sawyer. And what was up with Jack saying, "you told me to" - did he really think that he was doing the right thing and that he would be able to leave the island and come back to save everyone?

I'm gonna have to rewatch the whole episode... it was a good one... and at least Jack didn't cry... Locke did...

Jack was acting wierd cause "Kate Chose Sawyer over him"  If that girl spread her legs for Sawyer then she is used goods on this island.  It was the reason why when Kate says: "And you trust them?" Jack replies: "You told me too!"  The time when Ben needed Jack to do surgery and Kate came in his holding cell pleading to do the surgery or they would kill Sawyer.  Then Jack saw them later doing it on "Too Hot for TV" hidden camera show.  So, I would be like WTF are you doing here too.  I spared your and Sawyers life and I'm getting off this craphole.  So, I thought until John screwed it up.  Plus I didn't see any Dharma condoms...

Offline deadpolarbear

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 07:00:02 PM »
Ive been thinking that the last few weeks too.. Tom aint that bad... probably in the same boat as Juliette, been recruited and now just doing what he is told so that he eventually gets a chance to go home.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 01:40:14 AM »
is Tom warning Jack that the're being listened to?, or is friendly warning jack that the others are monitoring his thoughts so jack should be mentally bluff them??? and yes why is Tom tipping off Jack?

Offline dweebs

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2007, 01:50:25 PM »

I know, it drives my poor neurotic mind crazy...

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2007, 05:14:58 PM »
I think Tom is just not as bad as some of the others. I thought he was just reminding Jack that he was being listened to. I also thought Jack was cold towards Kate, although he did seem to melt a bit when she held his hand.

mindsparkle

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2007, 10:54:06 PM »
I think Tom is basically a good guy and does his job, he can judge a situation and realize that no harm can come of it... he was letting Kate and Jack have a moment just telling them to keep it quiet the place is bugged or to be careful of what they say... just like the time he offered some salve for Kate's wrists when she struggled in the handcuffs... if we knew him better we'd say he is a good man and a loyal worker and comrade to Ben.