Author Topic: Magic Box  (Read 20797 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Box
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2007, 01:46:38 AM »
I just watched the Last Mimsy with my kids and if they got that, then Losties could be explained a quantum window or the idea of multiple quantum realities.

Most of all, I agree that you can go nuts thinking of all the ramifications of such a device or phenomenon, but you need something so broad to explain people waking from the dead, visions, the man from talahassee, knowledge of the survivors, etc. 

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2007, 11:52:10 AM »
We have seen smokie bond with locke, who has a special communion with the island.  We have seen smokie kill echo, who felt guilt about his brother and was thus killed by his representation.

The Black Box is a contained smokie.... cheating, as locke put it.

Even the contained black box is a dangerous thing.... hence, you can't be too afraid, too angry, weak..... therefore, the list.

But, how does the others have such insight into the personalities of the losties?

They seemingly know not only what happened but why the survivors have done the things they did.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2007, 02:24:51 PM »
perhaps the magic box has been able to pull out key individuals in each of the survivor's lives.....hence the others know so much personal info about each.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2007, 11:20:15 PM »
The map that was visible in the hatch displayed a central area, function uncertain.  Stations were placed in a perimeter about the this center. 

Whether it be to focus and control the magnetism of the island or for housing the magic box, here you will find the mystery of the Others and their abilities.
s

scrod

« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2007, 11:24:11 PM »
The map that was visible in the hatch displayed a central area, function uncertain.  Stations were placed in a perimeter about the this center. 

Whether it be to focus and control the magnetism of the island or for housing the magic box, here you will find the mystery of the Others and their abilities.
s
Wasn't the Pearl in the center, under the ?

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2007, 11:27:13 PM »
I don't believe the Pearl was the ? in the center of the blastdoor map.  I think we will find the ? is where all the tunnels lead to underground.  Maybe there was some kind of control room there.  That is just my opinion, though.  It seems they would have had to travel further if they were going to the middle of the island.  Locke and Boone used to go there and come back each day, so it couldn't be that far away from the Swan.

Offline MichaelAtTheBeach

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2007, 04:06:42 AM »
Deus ex Machina

Offline Chefpyro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2007, 05:40:01 PM »
I think Boone is still hallucinating from that stuff Locke rubbed on his head.

<------Pyro[move]

Offline Chefpyro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2007, 05:59:46 PM »
The box, I believe, is a "careful what you wish for" kinda thing. It's the devil.

<------Pyro[move]

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2007, 12:29:11 AM »
The box may provide a physical reality for those who enter it, thus explaining what these people do with their time and why their willing to die for the thing in addition to living in motel 6 lodgings.  I believe that the box is concentrated but its effects can escape without the user....Jack's dad, kate's horse, walt, whispers, revengeful boar, polar bear, locke's legs, rose's cancer, kim's baby, desmond's gift, and so on.....but it must be special for the physical presence to remain.  What freaks Ben out is that this old snowbird from florida showed up with no particular connection to the person using the box and his physical presence remains.  This must be atypical, otherwise the others would have a lot of people hanging around and nothing to do with them except feed them to the chickens (see dark meat thread).  So, Locke's special communion with the island has bypassed the method used by the others to access the qualities of the island...the so named magic box....and it shocks them.  This may have been what happened to Rousseau's companions when they "got sick."  Did she describe them as physically sick or did she just shoot them all?  What may have happened is that she was the only one unaffected.  Big flashback coming there. 

Anyway, getting off point.  Oh ya, the box.  The box allows you to experience or remember any reality....as with Desmond....the only rule is that you can't alter the quantum thread that led you to the island in the first place.  That would set up a paradox and would effect the happenings on the island, ergo effecting the lives of the others and changing the course of events unpredictably.  Again, as Desmond found, trying to shift quantum outcomes is more difficult that one thinks as realities are straddled alongside one another based upon outcomes.  You can try to win her back, but you'll get smacked in the head by a crickett stick or you'll die in a taxi cab. 

Only a fool is enslaved by time and space lies at the heart of the box question....what would be required of one who was not?  He or she could not be flawed and could be trusted to enjoy the benefits of the box while not changing others' or their own destiny.  Every flashback has been constructed to show us the flaws of the survivors (except Rose and Bernard who have recently disappeared from the show....overbudget).  To be allowed full access to the box, the kind of courage that was shown by the lady in Sajid's recent flashback is required.  One must take a searching and fearless moral invetory and come face to face with the demon in all of us.  The most pure are obviously the children, hence they were on the list and taken early.  I can't explain why some from the tail and none from the main section (except Walt) were sought.  Better defenses by those aft probably. 

Anyway, now we've found out that there is a wizard.  It's time to see whose behind the curtain!

scrod

« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2007, 12:40:01 AM »
Puff, I'm sure that was totally genius, but I will have to attack it earlier in the day, after some strong coffee.  I was totally lost in the second paragraph.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2007, 10:35:46 AM »
i was lost in the first sentence.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
blah blah blah...

a.  we've already seen some of the effects of the magic box. one reason the other's may not want the losties close may be that the effects of the box become more pronounced with proximity.

b.  the box does provide a reality for the person using it, but there are rules. you can't alter the fate that drew you to the island (or you don't want to).  hence, the need to be without flaw in order to be on the list.

c.  physical realities are not retained after the user leaves.  ergo, Locke's dad showing up as a physical reality is bizarre and makes locke very special.

d.  the universe tends to be self correcting.  if the box allows one to revisit or experience quantum realities, one must accept that these are alligned and linked via outcome.  thus, desmond's frustration in the flashback.

e.  there is a wizard (box), but who is behind the curtain (the great man)

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2007, 03:59:17 PM »
imo:

King Con "appeared" in the closet bound and gagged to further Ben's manipulation of Locke.  I don't believe he (talking about the original Sawyer) was wished into existence by Locke and the Magic Box.

I don't believe in the classic time travel paradox of not being able to alter the events leading up to your engaging the time machine.  Marty McFly's brother would not slowly vanish from the Polaroid.  If Desmond went back in time, the first time he takes a step away from the historic path he previously tread, he has set up an alternate chain of events and an alternate reality from the one he left.

If he went back and married Pen, there would be no sailboat, no meeting with Kelvin, no fight at the inlet and no crash of flight 815...IN THAT REALITY.

In the reality we've been watching, Kelvin would simply cease to exist once he turned the failsafe key and went back in time.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »
if the ring lady is to be believed, in that reality kelvin would have still made it to the island and the results thereafter unpredictable (since Desmond's contribution would be withheld).  Why would Kelvin cease to exist? 

the ring lady states that if Desmond does not perform his fate then we all will die.

the irony to me is that Desmond has jumped back in time AFTER he has performed his function of turning the key and therefore the ring lady's argument is mute.  Desmond has simply decided to replay a portion of his life after performing the seemingly necessary portion on the island.  why he is not allowed to doesn't make sense unless, as the ring lady states, the universe has a certain inertia and fate altered still results in the same fate.  this would mean that, even if desmond had remained in his flashback, he would have still arrived at the island by a possibly different method and still would have turned the key.....and if that is the case, then why is the ring lady there in the first place. 

paradoxes exist in the very message that she delivered.  if the universe is self correcting, the why would she intervene?  i don't pretend to understand it, but i think it's facinating.  moreover, peering into a quantum reality is not time travel.  desmond's flashback was not the exact history he had lived.  did he previously awaken covered in red paint....doubtful.  so, prior to doing anything different....based upon knowledge of the past....the past was still different.  desmond was instead moved to a similar quantum thread by the implosion of the hatch where it is true that he has YET to turn the key. 

the key thing becomes what is the fate of this quantum reality.  now it will make sense for the ring lady to intervene because if desmond chooses not to turn the key.....then he has de facto chosen a quantum reality where the world will end.  if, on the other hand, he fulfills his ultimate fate, then he can still change the world and hope for a way of penny ultimately finding him.