Author Topic: Magic Box  (Read 20785 times)

Offline ape

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Box
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2007, 08:26:05 AM »
the coroner was an accomplice.

yeah, why not?..

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2007, 12:23:01 PM »
I'm puzzled as to why they would show Locke his Dad, knowing that he has had such a strong influence on his life in recent years but not show Jack his Dad when he has been in such a similar situation (well, kind of). I know he saw him on the island ages ago but they could have used that in a similar way when trying to convince him to help Benry. Maybe thats what was going on when we heard his voice on the thingymajig in the cell that Jack was in? Or maybe they already have shown him to him and thats part of why Jack is playing along in such a calm way?

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2007, 12:34:48 PM »
Okay, after reading more posts I have to also say this about Christian being alive:

They would have already done an autopsy on Christian's body so even if he did look dead but was not really dead, he's dead now because they've cut him open to determine the cause of death.  Unless you don't think they'd do an autopsy on the mysterious death of a foreigner who is an upper class U.S. citizen.  Or they would have at least cut into his body, and seen that he was bleeding.  So he's dead, unless you want to believe he has a clone or a twin or that the coroner was an accomplice.
I don't think there was an autopsy
I think the whole thing was planned/arranged

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2007, 12:36:21 PM »
I'm puzzled as to why they would show Locke his Dad, knowing that he has had such a strong influence on his life in recent years but not show Jack his Dad when he has been in such a similar situation (well, kind of). I know he saw him on the island ages ago but they could have used that in a similar way when trying to convince him to help Benry. Maybe thats what was going on when we heard his voice on the thingymajig in the cell that Jack was in? Or maybe they already have shown him to him and thats part of why Jack is playing along in such a calm way?
My guess is that it isn't the right time yet for Jack
((((TY))))  :-*

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2007, 01:21:47 PM »

They have gotten Jack to do what they want with out having to use his father as leverage.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2007, 01:26:19 PM »

They have gotten Jack to do what they want with out having to use his father as leverage.
I agree!  And it isn't time for him to face his "demons" yet

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2007, 02:17:11 PM »
There is an old science fiction periodical, Analog, that once carried a story "E for Effort."  A couple of novel scientists stumbled upon an effect that would allow them to watch the past in real time.  They could play with it to go back to Alexander the Great, Lincoln, ect.  They used the images to make movies and hired actor voices to fill in dialogue. 

The producer scientists won a number of awards but then began to understand the ramifications of their work.  The made a last movie that showed the massive profiteering that went on behind closed doors in WWII america.  They additionally recognized that their invention could be dialed to the very immediate past and could therefore be used as the ultimate spy satellite.  The US government intervenes, but not before the scientists provide all of the governments of the world the plans for this device. 

Before their plan of equal access can be implemented, however, panic leads to conflict, and conflict leads to nuclear holocost.

The scientists had created a quantum window able to look across various realities.  The Others have such a device and have used it to learn the pasts of the survivors.  The difference may be that the others are also able to insert themselves in these realities...ie ring lady.

Offline sissi

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2007, 03:41:05 PM »
I keep playing around with a theory along the same lines as what you wrote Puff6962.I think the island has something that is allowing people to manipulate time. I think that the others may be the good guys trying to correct what the Darma group started to do. Not the original Darma - but rather a corrupt group how dicovered this and started to use it for their own purposes. You have explained the quantum window and various realities much better then I can though

Offline thwgt

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2007, 05:52:26 PM »
There is an old science fiction periodical, Analog, that once carried a story "E for Effort."  A couple of novel scientists stumbled upon an effect that would allow them to watch the past in real time.  They could play with it to go back to Alexander the Great, Lincoln, ect.  They used the images to make movies and hired actor voices to fill in dialogue. 

The producer scientists won a number of awards but then began to understand the ramifications of their work.  The made a last movie that showed the massive profiteering that went on behind closed doors in WWII america.  They additionally recognized that their invention could be dialed to the very immediate past and could therefore be used as the ultimate spy satellite.  The US government intervenes, but not before the scientists provide all of the governments of the world the plans for this device. 

Before their plan of equal access can be implemented, however, panic leads to conflict, and conflict leads to nuclear holocost.

The scientists had created a quantum window able to look across various realities.  The Others have such a device and have used it to learn the pasts of the survivors.  The difference may be that the others are also able to insert themselves in these realities...ie ring lady.
Puff, I reallyt like your theory but tend to lean with the "it's too complicated" crowd.  Can you dumb it down so that it could be explained by a character in a 3 minute sound bite?

Another question:  I get what you're saying about looking *across* quantum realities, but how does that allow viewing and/or travel *back*?

Offline thwgt

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2007, 06:25:13 PM »
I keep playing around with a theory along the same lines as what you wrote Puff6962.I think the island has something that is allowing people to manipulate time. I think that the others may be the good guys trying to correct what the Darma group started to do. Not the original Darma - but rather a corrupt group how dicovered this and started to use it for their own purposes. You have explained the quantum window and various realities much better then I can though
I like this.  Seems to me that Kelvin & Radzinski were not Dharma, but rather post-Dharma.  If the original Dharma folks had sent them, why the need to make the blast door map?  I think they were working for someone else who was trying to figure out just what Dharma was up to.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2007, 07:00:57 PM »
I believe that Kelvin and partner were dharma, the original.  If they were part of the Others, you would think that there would be a shift change regularly, like the one our survivors set up.  The need for the blast door map could be explained because after the hostile takeover, perhaps records and maps were lost, the people stationed in the swan would still need some physical account of the island.  I just dont see the Others taking over dharma, slaughtering members of the swan, and setting up their own staff there.  It would seem more logical that they made the swan members live in fear to continue the work of button pushing.  To keep using them.  Also, Ben mentioned the submarine needed to be there so that everyone knew they could leave when they needed to.  This contradicts Kelvin's actions with Desmond's boat.  If there was another way off the island, he would use that if he was post-dharma, or, he would make requests to have another job.  Radzinski wouldn't have killed himself years ago if he was part of the hostiles and knew he could leave the island.  Or so I think...

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2007, 07:07:37 PM »
Again I think that the only reason why ben says that is the only way off the island is because the boats that we have seen that the others have are not big enought to make it in the open ocean.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2007, 07:23:31 PM »
I tend to believe that Yemi, Kate's horse, Jack's dad, and so on are all manifestaions of the smoke, and not produced from 'the box' itself.  I think that the box signifies a person of utmost influence and power.  Someone to call (Mittlewerk?) when in need.  I believe that Locke's dad is real and not (oh, made up isn't the right word..) Look at his situation, bound, gagged, and beaten.  All the other flashback folk we find on the island are disturbingly calm, collected, and harbingers of danger, more like traps than people.  Locke's father is clearly disturbed the the situation.  How he got there, I'm going to say, is somthing like this...  The other's have extensive records of each survivor's past, medical, personal, professional.  The others also like to hit you where it hurts.  His father being Locke's weakness.  Realizing this weeks ago, the other's could have put in a phone call to 'the box' and found daddy  for a situation such as this.  He must have been on the island before the hatch exploded, seeing as after that communications went down.  The arms of the others reach far.  I find it hard to grasp that the box could be anything but an eccentric, influential, financialy able person.

Offline soccerman

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2007, 12:52:57 AM »
Doesn't add too much to this thread but when Kate saw the horse with Sawyer right after Sawyer channeled her dad, Sawyer asked "Do you know that horse?"  this shows that two people saw a Smokie appearance.

If Smokie is making these illusions.

Offline thwgt

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2007, 01:40:51 AM »
I believe that Kelvin and partner were dharma, the original.  If they were part of the Others, you would think that there would be a shift change regularly, like the one our survivors set up.  The need for the blast door map could be explained because after the hostile takeover, perhaps records and maps were lost, the people stationed in the swan would still need some physical account of the island.  I just dont see the Others taking over dharma, slaughtering members of the swan, and setting up their own staff there.  It would seem more logical that they made the swan members live in fear to continue the work of button pushing.  To keep using them.  Also, Ben mentioned the submarine needed to be there so that everyone knew they could leave when they needed to.  This contradicts Kelvin's actions with Desmond's boat.  If there was another way off the island, he would use that if he was post-dharma, or, he would make requests to have another job.  Radzinski wouldn't have killed himself years ago if he was part of the hostiles and knew he could leave the island.  Or so I think...
Not one of the Others, but not Dharma either.  Certainly not part of the original Dharma bunch because Kelvin was in Iraq in '91.