Author Topic: Magic Box  (Read 21473 times)

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Box
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2007, 05:01:31 AM »
There has been a reference to a "Box" by the others before. Didn't the others stick Walt into a Box? The episode when Ms Clues tells Michael to bring the Jack, Kate, Swayer, Hurley to them.....they let Michael see Walt. I remember Ms Clues threaten to stick Walt back in the "Box" again. And wasn't there a Darma Box Logo on some fake doors?

Possible link between the Box & the Numbers?
I was reviewing Episde 1x18 "Numbers" (To see if the falling guy in Hurley's Flashback was locke......it's not)......Hurley was talking to Lenard in the Mental Institute asking him where he got the numbers from.....Lenard freaks out and says "You've Open the Box! You shouldn't have used the numbers!". Of course Lenard could have been referring to Pandora's Box....but who knows, the numbers were on the hatch.

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2007, 05:14:22 AM »
I personally believe "the box" is in reference to Pandora's Box, an alliteration, if you will.  There have been many events on the Island and off that have opened "the box" so to speak.  The same as "opening a new can of worms."

Is Christian still alive?  Yep.  Particularly since DrDrunk's constant theme and message has been one of hope, and of not losing hope--something our Losties seem to all have done at one time or another.

I don't judge Benry as harshly as I once did.  I don't think he's quite as awful as I once did (for now.)  Benry's compassion for Alex shows his humanistic traits at the most basic level.  I think Juliette is evil.

But the story to follow for sure will be Desmond's...

cheers
*Des8

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2007, 07:08:46 AM »
I think it would be stupid if Jack's dad were alive, too.

But I think it's sort of stupid that Locke's dad showed up.  They'd better do a good job of explaining this one!
LUCY!!! Ju got sum splainin to do!!!!

But wasnt Ben's explainations of the "magic box" just an analogy to describe the island mystery?

Besides we know Ben is the master of the con, pssst..it's not a box it's a magic 8-ball.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2007, 07:41:01 AM »
I don't think the line about the wallet means anything except maybe to uncover how his dad really died in a later episode or it could've just been a throwaway line just to show Jack's distress.  He's a big part in flashbacks but so are a lot of characters.  For him to be alive and the mastermind behind the whole thing and fake his own death would be a jump the shark moment.

Couldn't agree more...and not to mention that Locke's dad faked HIS death in a flashback episode as well. Having every other character fake his or her own death, to me, would point to lazy writing and definitely lower the show a notch or two in my eyes. Having Jack's dad show up standing knee-deep in the ocean while wearing a suit, then disappearing...only to say "he's really alive, people" would lower the show in my eyes. Having the police find Christian apparently laying dead in an alley, and having the doctor claim Christian died of a heart attack from overdrinking after doing tests on his supposed dead body...only to later say "He's alive, folks!" would diminish the show in my eyes. Having Christian evaporate into thin air right in front of Jack's eyes, only to come back later and say "He's alive afterall" would diminish the show in my eyes.

Christian better be dead, dammit lol.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2007, 11:03:42 AM »
I agree with Des8
Pandora's box is more like it.

Christian is absolutely alive and one of the head honcho's

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2007, 11:08:32 AM »
I think it very peculiar that all these disfunctional, crooked dads all drink the same booze.  Does anyone remember the background of that booze and who made it?  I think Widmore told Desmond the story about it in his office.  That could tie in, in a big way with who "Him" is, I think.  "Him" is who made the booze.  Nancy Drew is on the case!

I think it definitely is a tie in that they all have it.  I was looking at it like maybe it was a gift from someone to all of them, which would tie everyone who's had it in together. 

Offline Schmoe

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2007, 12:56:30 PM »
Didn't Ben say "imagine" a box.  He did not say there was a box.  He was just putting it into terms that John would understand.

I can't wait for the scientific explaination of this.

Offline JF

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2007, 01:03:28 PM »
an alliteration, if you will.
???  Maybe if it were "Bandora's Box"?

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2007, 01:13:09 PM »
Think about the big box as a means to enter another quantum reality besides the physical reality that got you to the island.  The only way to travel to the latter is the sub. 

The producers have said that there is no "time travel" but chose their words very delicately here citing that time may "move differently" on the island.

I presented the unifying theory of lost with help of the wikipedia info, very complex, but it really is not.  Deja Vu, the unexplained interaction of particles, the miracles of life may be due to the influence of similar quantum realities with our own.  I nickname this quantum averaging, but to the onlooker, it would look like a betrayal of David Hume's constancy principle leading to the unexplained, the bizarre, and the unpredictable.....ie the island.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2007, 01:15:59 PM »
The scientific explanation is that there is no box. Cooper is an other, he is part of this. They are conning John once again. It is part of the plan.

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2007, 01:27:31 PM »
i wasn't assuming there was a literal "box"...but thanks for that.

i guess, though...

something needs to explain Yemi...Kate's horse, Dave, etc....

is all of this taking place on the holodeck?

Please keep in mind that those were all apparitions that appeared in the jungle, and were most likely related to Smokey.  Locke's dad was flesh and blood, tied up, sitting on a chair and looked terrified. I believe the island can manifest things, but only certain things, at certain times, for certain people, and that is why they are still there, studying it, and why Ben told Locke that he was a very important person.

Offline rdt2323

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2007, 02:25:53 PM »
It's not "Bandora's Box" nor is it "Pandora's Box its actually "Bendora's Box".

Offline sissi

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
I'm kind of thinking that the box is just a simple way of explaining things.Or is it a litural explantion with the numbers being the combination? I've been tossing around the idea that there is some sort of time travel going on that ties in to the magnetic force of the island. I also think that there are people that are doing the traveling such as Libby and that is why she is in so many places. I also think that somehow time was manipulated and that is why Locke can walk because someone intervened and course corrected Lockes fate buy preventing the event of his dad from pushing him from the window. Thus he walks because he was never paralized. I know this theory is not well put together,but I would enjoy everyones input.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2007, 02:45:47 PM »
I'm kind of thinking that the box is just a simple way of explaining things.Or is it a litural explantion with the numbers being the combination? I've been tossing around the idea that there is some sort of time travel going on that ties in to the magnetic force of the island. I also think that there are people that are doing the traveling such as Libby and that is why she is in so many places. I also think that somehow time was manipulated and that is why Locke can walk because someone intervened and course corrected Lockes fate buy preventing the event of his dad from pushing him from the window. Thus he walks because he was never paralized. I know this theory is not well put together,but I would enjoy everyones input.
There are similar theories floating around in the threads for your reading pleasure.
You have to cruise around and read them because at this moment I couldn't tell you where they are LOL
The latest one posted by puff6962 l will try to find it for you.

Here it is http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php/topic,4030.msg212220.html#msg212220  Looks as though the topic was merged or something, the begining has a strange looking format but I think you can get the jist of it
Also there are a few more  threads about "time"-probably in the "flashes before your eyes" thread that you might find interesting to read 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 02:51:51 PM by Lostgirl (AKA Debs) »

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2007, 03:18:29 PM »
There's a reason why so many people (the Others) are willing to leave the real world and come to this place of hardship and sacrifice.  They can't all be running for the law or receiving magical healing like Locke.  Most don't look or act like scientists or researchers of any kind.  They don't strike me as deluded cultists either.

There's something keeping these folks committed to the island besides the imagined freedom to leave via the sub.  This would be where "the box" comes in.

btw, thanks Blitz Wing for bringing up the line that Klugh said to Michael about him not wanting to go back in the box.  At the time, I thought it must be something like the room where Karl was recieving the Ludovico Technique.