Author Topic: Magic Box  (Read 19139 times)

Offline jdearmond

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Box
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2007, 04:25:56 AM »
Aside from all of the quantum talk (read Michael Crichton's Timeline for a good story on that. The movie sucked), IF the box is real in whatever sense, would that give a little sympathy to the Others? Maybe they're just trying to protect it. And when people think they are in charge of something special, they can get a little "high and mighty" which may explain the Others' attitudes towards everyone.

On a side note, why is no one asking questions?! When Jack tells Kate he's going home, why doesn't she ask him why she can't go or what the heck is going on, or... ANYTHING!? It just seems that a lot of the characters have opportunities to figure more out about the island and they're more interested the soap operas going on.

Offline 4.8.15.16.23.42

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2007, 01:05:51 PM »
The Magic Box it's Ben's refrigerator, watch how it's content change everytime someone open the door...

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2007, 12:04:01 AM »
I agree with Des8
Pandora's box is more like it.

Christian is absolutely alive and one of the head honcho's

Look at the big brain on DebDeb!!!  No wonder I love her so.... :)

DrDrunk is alive and out there

see you in another life, sistah
cheers
*Des8

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2007, 12:15:24 AM »
In all seriousness, this was the best epi this season IMHO and it changed everything we thought we knew what was happening on the Island.

There are so many different scenarios to take place in the future (after the crash) from that one epi alone that they are too myriad to list here.

This will be the crux of the show, I think..or at least lead us initially down the inevitable finale path.  I've watched this epi at least 10 times and every time I watch it I see something I'd either missed that was important, or something that will ultimately change the path of every 815 survivor, or better yet--those who periled.

The Man From Tallahassee was a great epi, but Flashes Before Your Eyes was the singlemost largest contributor to giving the viewer a glimpse of where the story is leading us--including all characters we know of to date.  This includes Frank Duckett, Dave, Rose, Bernard, Nikki, Paolo, even The Marshall (gasp), our LOSTIES, TheOthers and TheOtherOthers we have yet to meet.

BTW, I stick with my initial conclusion that the Magic Box is an allusion to Pandora's Box, but my original theory from S1 and the Skinner Box still holds true.  Any old time Sledgelings out there remember that theory and if you do, do you think it fits in now more than ever?

I'm convinced of it.

see you in another life
cheers
*Des8

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2007, 01:00:31 AM »
the magic box is a way of peering into other quantum realities.  it takes a lot of responsibility, though, cause you can certainly change the course of history if you so desire.  this was discussed by the ring lady and the conversation was meant to frame the reasons why the others are careful with their little device.

all of the bf skinner, purgatory, and alien theories just don't allow a believable and encompassing method of explaining the happenings.

here is what we know:

-the survivors lived when they should have died
-the survivors flashbacks all show mixed up lives
-the island's been associated with some wierd stuff....locke, horse, monstor, etc.
-it is possible to travel into a separate reality (Desmond)
-the universe tends to be self correcting
-there is a magic box

the latter 3 fit perfectly well with some quantum based explanation but flounder through any quasi-religious or alien theory.  bf skinner's work, or that of another scientist, may have been melded into the thinking of the others....but that's no explanation for anything.

the island began as some sort of utopia with healing properties and a special communion held with the inhabitants. dharma came along, realized the possibilites, and exploited the effects of the island.  they created the controls for the magic box, a way to intensify the island's characteristics, or both.

the magic box will have to be something cool, with a lot of scientist looking people running it, and with a lot of machines that go "ping!"

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2007, 07:11:12 PM »
Behind Winged Victory is an expression heard on Locke's television which refers to fragments of work and thought combining into a compelling notion or hypothesis which, over a span of time, builds into a solid and magnificent work.

In a way, it may be a metaphor for the characters of the show. 

C S Lewis, when asked how he could come to find faith in such a time (1940's England) of evil, and how God could tolerate so much individual suffering, answered with the following metaphor.  He stated that God see's each man as a unrefined block of marble.  Over time, He begins his work shaping his creation.  Each blow is precise and shapeful, but each blow is painful.  However, the result...in the end...is a masterpiece.

Is this the purpose of the island?  Are the blows shown in the flashbacks a method of shaping individuals? 

I beg to ask the question, are the past experiences of the Losties real, or have they been implanted by the Other's?  In which case, a follow-up question, are the losties simply past members of the Others who got lost in the magic Box?

Offline Chefpyro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2007, 08:54:12 PM »
i was wrong about Sayid seeing Walt. He did. sorry.<------Pyro[move]