Author Topic: Chess Game missing moves...  (Read 7820 times)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Chess Game missing moves...
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 01:44:23 PM »
i've been rewatching the episode, and came up with an idea.  What if, rather than locke playing the computer, he was playing a person?  sort of like when michael "communicated" with walt.  it goes back to the "human experiment" idea (shoutout to cardi!).  i think patchy's declaration of, "it cheats."  then locke's comment about, "computers can't cheat."  was for our knowledge.  locke isn't playing the computer, he's playing a person, that's why it cheats.  that's why it says he won when there were moves left.  that's how he was able to access the dharma video.  not because he's good at computer chess, but because someone on the other end let him access it.  i don't think this idea is farfetched at all, we already know they have video on him, and we know the other computer was connected to someone somewhere who knew about michael and walt.  why couldn't this one be connected too? 

Offline Gordon Shumway

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 03:11:08 PM »
i've been rewatching the episode, and came up with an idea.  What if, rather than locke playing the computer, he was playing a person?  sort of like when michael "communicated" with walt.  it goes back to the "human experiment" idea (shoutout to cardi!).  i think patchy's declaration of, "it cheats."  then locke's comment about, "computers can't cheat."  was for our knowledge.  locke isn't playing the computer, he's playing a person, that's why it cheats.  that's why it says he won when there were moves left.  that's how he was able to access the dharma video.  not because he's good at computer chess, but because someone on the other end let him access it.  i don't think this idea is farfetched at all, we already know they have video on him, and we know the other computer was connected to someone somewhere who knew about michael and walt.  why couldn't this one be connected too? 

I'll buy what you're selling LB.  Someone at Otherville?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 03:12:16 PM »
What about the security camera right in front the computer, must have someone whatching it somewhere...

Locke noticed the cam before start playing the game.

My point is, maybe someone was observing the place and probably connected to the computer, so instead an A.I. couldn`t be some real person playing with locke on the other side and turned the game easy to win?
I'm thinking along these lines, as well.  We know that Locke was observable & that the computers can be used for communication.  Combine those facts with Patchy's comment, & I see how Locke may have been a "pawn" in someone else's game. :-\ 

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »

I'll buy what you're selling LB.  Someone at Otherville?
i'm guessing otherville.  it's wherever they were holding walt.  at least that's what i think.

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 12:43:04 AM »
Darn Timeout....lost my entire detailed post.

I think Locke was playing against a person, not a computer.

When Locke won, it wasn't a checkmate. Locke could had won in a couple of moves, or still potentially lost if he screwed up royally. A computer would had followed through with the game until a checkmate was definite & not give up like that. Also Locke was playing black....usualy in old computer chess games you're only allowed to play white. The camera pointed directly at the computer user would suggest a two player game.....why else of all places to put a camera, to have it set up like a web cam?

Of course it could have been a prop error in the filiming of the show. I can't figure out how Locke lost in the earlier game....even weirder is a second after the loss, patchy came in to say the computer cheats....and the shot of the computer screen seems to have the chess pieces in different positions while still saying "You Lose".

But if it is a Prop error during filming....why would they goto the trouble of have all the moves listed on the computer to being accurrate, even have the actor playing Locke type in the correct moves and film it, only to have a prop error on the chess game?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 01:14:32 AM »
Darn Timeout....lost my entire detailed post.

I think Locke was playing against a person, not a computer.

When Locke won, it wasn't a checkmate. Locke could had won in a couple of moves, or still potentially lost if he screwed up royally. A computer would had followed through with the game until a checkmate was definite & not give up like that. Also Locke was playing black....usualy in old computer chess games you're only allowed to play white. The camera pointed directly at the computer user would suggest a two player game.....why else of all places to put a camera, to have it set up like a web cam?

Of course it could have been a prop error in the filiming of the show. I can't figure out how Locke lost in the earlier game....even weirder is a second after the loss, patchy came in to say the computer cheats....and the shot of the computer screen seems to have the chess pieces in different positions while still saying "You Lose".

But if it is a Prop error during filming....why would they goto the trouble of have all the moves listed on the computer to being accurrate, even have the actor playing Locke type in the correct moves and film it, only to have a prop error on the chess game?

Knowing full well that the game would be analyzed like this on forums, too!  lol

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 10:33:08 AM »
i don't think it's a prop error either.

Offline captaintau

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 10:37:36 AM »
Can we see what keys Locke pressed? Is it possible that he entered "4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42" as moves?

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 05:00:29 AM »
Can we see what keys Locke pressed? Is it possible that he entered "4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42" as moves?
Nah, all the moves we see him enter are the corresponding chess moves listed on the screen.