Author Topic: Questions About The Hostiles, The Others, Patchy, Etc...  (Read 6654 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Questions About The Hostiles, The Others, Patchy, Etc...
« on: March 08, 2007, 03:26:03 PM »
1) If the Hostiles have been there "long before" Dharma, then does that mean they are possibly native to the island? (the relics seen by Sayid, Sun and Jin while on Desmond's boat would indicate that they may have been)

2) If the Hostiles ARE native to the island, are in reality the Others and not part of Dharma, then how do we reconcile the Others recruiting Juliette and (apparently) others? Wouln't this also mean that the "Hostiles" have members that live in the "real" world, and not just on the island?

3) If the Hostiles are native to the island and if Patchy is indeed a Hostile and not a Dharma recruit, then would that mean he was born on the island...which would NOT make his native land Russia?

4) Did Patchy and Bea know about the C4? You would have to think they did since it was so out in the open. If so, then wouldn't they have tried to deactivate the explosives instead of just letting them stay there? I know there's risk involved in doing so, but there's a bigger risk in not doing so. If that's the case, then did perhaps Patchy and Bea--or rather, the Others/Hostiles--plant the C4 there themselves? And if so, is it possible that Locke did NOT detonate the hatch by pushing 77, but instead the C4 was detonated some other way by the Others?

5) Could computer monitors from back then play video? lol

6) Is it possible that Patchy did not know about the instuctional video that appears when you beat the chess game? If he didn't want Locke discovering it, he could have simply told him not to touch anything, that the computers are his property or that he's just "picky" like that or something. I don't see how telling Locke that the game can't be beat would be enough in his eyes to get Locke off the compute, especially if Patchy himself knows the game can be beat without needing months of trying.

7) And for that matter, why have the instructions only accessible by beatng a stinkin' chess game first? "Has the hatch been overtaken by Hostiles? Enter 77"...yeah, while the hostiles are busy killing all of my crew, I'm gonna fire up the computer chess game and try to get checkmate while gunfire and blood is flying all around my head.

Answers appreciated lol

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Questions About The Hostiles, The Others, Patchy, Etc...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »
love your thoughts on this

Offline Schmoe

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 03:45:50 PM »
I think they knew about the C4, and they wanted Locke to find the code and activate it.  It is all part of the larger plan.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 03:54:51 PM »
Dude, I am with you on these questions.  Right off the bat, they could have recruited Patchy like they did Juliet.

1) If the Hostiles have been there "long before" Dharma, then does that mean they are possibly native to the island? (the relics seen by Sayid, Sun and Jin while on Desmond's boat would indicate that they may have been). I think we can safely assume they are native to the Island.  We know Ben was born there.  The "long before" has me wondering how long and how old are they really.  Like some of the aging theories out there.

2) If the Hostiles ARE native to the island, are in reality the Others and not part of Dharma, then how do we reconcile the Others recruiting Juliette and (apparently) others? Wouln't this also mean that the "Hostiles" have members that live in the "real" world, and not just on the island? I love this question..something just isn't adding up.

Offline esque0

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 09:07:28 PM »
1) If the Hostiles have been there "long before" Dharma, then does that mean they are possibly native to the island? (the relics seen by Sayid, Sun and Jin while on Desmond's boat would indicate that they may have been)
That's a big "if."  If they have indeed been there that long (and we know Ben has), it's likely they're natives. 

2) If the Hostiles ARE native to the island, are in reality the Others and not part of Dharma, then how do we reconcile the Others recruiting Juliette and (apparently) others? Wouln't this also mean that the "Hostiles" have members that live in the "real" world, and not just on the island?
Yes, which is inconsistent.  Juliet being with them indicates they either are related to Dharma, have absorbed part of Dharma, or are unrelated and doing their own recruiting.  But if they're natives, why recruit?  I think the Others are a mix of natives and ex-Dharma. 

3) If the Hostiles are native to the island and if Patchy is indeed a Hostile and not a Dharma recruit, then would that mean he was born on the island...which would NOT make his native land Russia?
One of the few things that seems safe to believe is that Patchy is from Russia (or another Soviet state) and was recruited, just like Juliet and (allegedly) Kelvin.  However, he can be both a Dharma recruit and an Other.

4) Did Patchy and Bea know about the C4? You would have to think they did since it was so out in the open. If so, then wouldn't they have tried to deactivate the explosives instead of just letting them stay there? I know there's risk involved in doing so, but there's a bigger risk in not doing so. If that's the case, then did perhaps Patchy and Bea--or rather, the Others/Hostiles--plant the C4 there themselves? And if so, is it possible that Locke did NOT detonate the hatch by pushing 77, but instead the C4 was detonated some other way by the Others?
I don't see a big risk leaving the C4.  C4 isn't very volatile.  It's not going to just detonate at random.  The only risk would come from intruders, which is what the C4 was designed for in the first place.  It might have been rigged by someone else, but detonation would be an issue.  Communications were down, which is why Klugh was there in the first place.

Heh.  They'd be extremely exensive, but sure.  And we don't know how recent the monitor actually was, since they were still receiving supply drops.

6) Is it possible that Patchy did not know about the instuctional video that appears when you beat the chess game? If he didn't want Locke discovering it, he could have simply told him not to touch anything, that the computers are his property or that he's just "picky" like that or something. I don't see how telling Locke that the game can't be beat would be enough in his eyes to get Locke off the compute, especially if Patchy himself knows the game can be beat without needing months of trying.
Patchy could have been lying.  He might have wanted Locke to find the video.  He might have known the game was very beatable.  We just don't know what he intended, so sure, anything's possible.

7) And for that matter, why have the instructions only accessible by beatng a stinkin' chess game first? "Has the hatch been overtaken by Hostiles? Enter 77"...yeah, while the hostiles are busy killing all of my crew, I'm gonna fire up the computer chess game and try to get checkmate while gunfire and blood is flying all around my head.
Yes!  That bothered the heck out of me.  The emergency self-destruct is behind a chess game?  Granted, the moves to win could be memorized, but that's terribly inefficient. 

mindsparkle

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 05:32:22 AM »
Just because Ben and crew were natives doesn't mean they can't be scientist and educated people themselves trying to solve the world's problems... they may have initially agreed with the Dharma Initiative and decided to continue in the same or similar work...  in fact, Dharma and Hanso may have found out about the island through the efforts of the natives trying to recruit people to pursue their "save the world" efforts.... the island may have mystical powers and so might it's natives and they are doing mankind good by working on "saving the world" projects

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 06:06:07 AM »
My nickname is so horrible that you people will ignore my posts again? When I used PATCHY MCCREEP everyone was so nice, but when I came back to my old OPTIMUS J everyone turned cold again.

The Black Rock, a ship commanded by a Hanso is found deep inside the island. There were always suspicions that some of crew and passengers could have build a village and started to live there.

2) If the Hostiles ARE native to the island, are in reality the Others and not part of Dharma, then how do we reconcile the Others recruiting Juliette and (apparently) others? Wouldn't this also mean that the "Hostiles" have members that live in the "real" world, and not just on the island?
I theorized before, Alvar Hanso's foundation found the shipwreck place, and Dharma Initiative Installed itself with the help of the others, since their founder is relative to one founder of Dharma. But at a point they turned against them, and Mittlewerk is an other sent to take over the Hanso Foundation. Possibly Mittlewerk is a Hanso himself.

Juliette is one of them and she didn't born on the island. They recruit people from outside, and Patchy, Juliette, probably Klugh and Tom too, aren't born on there.

About the explosives: John could not even be the responsible for the blow. Bea could have set a timer to secure that the survivors would never interrogated them.

Yes, they could. But much worse than that one. Specially the sound that sucked.

6) Is it possible that Patchy did not know about the instructional video that appears when you beat the chess game? If he didn't want Locke discovering it, he could have simply told him not to touch anything, that the computers are his property or that he's just "picky" like that or something. I don't see how telling Locke that the game can't be beat would be enough in his eyes to get Locke off the compute, especially if Patchy himself knows the game can be beat without needing months of trying.
Yeah, patchy knew, and probably used the chess game to hide the orientation of Dharma. He had access to those bookshelves in the basement, which surely have all the information he need.

I answered that is other topic by either the Chess was used to put the orientation in stand by and beat it made it close and the orientation pop up, or the programmers are just nuts.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 06:09:25 AM by Optimus J »

mindsparkle

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 06:16:42 AM »
Hi OptimusJ.... good morning and an early morning it is... see, not ignoring you! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 06:21:12 AM »
It's 07:20 here now.
Hi OptimusJ.... good morning and an early morning it is... see, not ignoring you! ;D ;D ;D

mindsparkle

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 06:51:45 AM »
it's on 3:50 a.m. where I am....

Offline zappa1

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 09:54:52 AM »
Patchy was getting ration drops so he had to know about the video

BTW-They would all be dead if Patchy would have let John enter 77 while Sayid and Kate were downstairs.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 11:30:53 AM »
The purge was probably a rebellion form within the large DHARMA project resulting in Hostile Others on one side and dead hippies on the other.

Early PCs could be connected to standard TVs with special adapters, iirc.

The beat-the-cheating-chess-game protocol for activating communications, drops, self-destruct is not all that far-fetched.  I used to rationalize the puzzles in Resident Evil games by saying that they are comlicated enough that a zombie wouldn't be able to figure them out, thus protecting the passageway or item from falling into their hands.  Same thing here, a Black Rock knucklehead or other savage would probably never figure it out, but a Locke-type would (and did) and the system is designed to make that possible.  The Patchy type who's been there forever just sits down and types 5-10 moves he's memorized and accesses the menu in a few seconds.

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 04:29:15 PM »
I wondered if Patchie had set the video up himself - maybe it wasn't always accessible through a chess game - it might have been something simpler - and maybe the intention was for Locke to blow the Flame, killing them all - remember, the others would rather die than give anything away. Maybe he set the game up following info from Ben that would feel complled to play if he said it was impossible to win - maybe they wanted to Locke to find the video.

Offline COWBOYPANTS

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 04:39:38 PM »
I wondered if Patchie had set the video up himself - maybe it wasn't always accessible through a chess game - it might have been something simpler - and maybe the intention was for Locke to blow the Flame, killing them all - remember, the others would rather die than give anything away. Maybe he set the game up following info from Ben that would feel complled to play if he said it was impossible to win - maybe they wanted to Locke to find the video.

I thought that too for a while, but Mikhail stopped him from pressing 77 the first time he won.  Why would he if that is what he wanted him to do?

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »
BTW-They would all be dead if Patchy would have let John enter 77 while Sayid and Kate were downstairs.
Yeah, he could, but that would kill Bea too, and we know how the others are about killing one of them. Mikhail only killed Bea, because he tried to suicide right after.

It's a good theory. May be one of methods, as the one I said, that Bea set the timer and It would blow up if she was captured and didn't reset it. Anyway the 77 isn't a self-destruction originally.