Author Topic: The Purge  (Read 13673 times)

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: The Purge
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2007, 11:53:51 PM »
yeah... I think you and I are on the same wavelength... LB

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2007, 01:17:30 PM »
Good point, Lady bug. But maybe the "real world" still thinks Dharma is alive and well. That's why they still get the food.

Let's say for argument that the "Hostiles" were living on the island, circumstances unknown. Maybe they were part of a commune and Ben was one of the children. Maybe the ‘geologically’ unique magnetic properties of the island were being used or studied by a secret group, or aliens (just kidding), or people from another dimension with four toes. Maybe the hatches were actually erected by the Hostiles pre-Dharma. Maybe Gilligan and Mary Ann actually did hook up and reproduce. Who knows.

Enter Dharma. I gotta believe their choice of this island is not coincidental. Dharma wants to do research and the magnetic properties are part of the reason why. Maybe someone stumbled upon the Hostile’s research and became intrigued. Maybe they wanted to study the Hostiles themselves. Maybe it was just the island and the Hostiles being there was just a glitch in the plan. Again…who knows. But they come in and establish their research project, all the food drops from the sky, and voila, we have a research community.

Maybe the Hostiles cooperate for a time. Again, maybe they were the original creators of the facilities and decided to let Dharma come in with some $$$ to step it up a notch (or save their dying research). Or maybe it is cowboys and Indians and they had little choice. In any case, there is cooperation. All part of one big happy Dharma family, working together for the greater good, let’s all sing Kumbaya. But make no mistake…Dharma is the Mother and Father of this family.

Then something happens:  The split, the purge. Why? Again, speculation. Maybe the Hostiles wanted their island back (cowboys & Indians). Or maybe research motives began to differ (or differences began to surface). The old dilemma: do we use our knowledge and power for weapons or medicine? Each side thinks that they are doing the right thing, but the motives are so far apart it causes a split. Ultimately, the Hostiles take over and continue the research in some manner. Now they are Mom & Dad. A few Dharma’s might remain – Kelvin, perhaps (he spoke of the Hostiles). Maybe a few in the crew at Hydra or in the community. But ultimately the original Dharma’s are phased out.

However, now the Hostiles have integrated themselves into the Dharma family, so as far as the real world is concerned, Dharma is still thriving. Here comes the next food drop.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2007, 03:39:23 PM »
Good point, Lady bug. But maybe the "real world" still thinks Dharma is alive and well. That's why they still get the food.
There is a flaw on that. In the outside world Dharma Initiative was closed in 87. I believe the incident took place in 86, but I can't remember where I saw that, or if the 1986 is really the incident date or something else.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2007, 06:49:09 PM »

Let's say for argument that the "Hostiles" were living on the island, circumstances unknown. Maybe they were part of a commune and Ben was one of the children. Maybe the ‘geologically’ unique magnetic properties of the island were being used or studied by a secret group, or aliens (just kidding), or people from another dimension with four toes. Maybe the hatches were actually erected by the Hostiles pre-Dharma. Maybe Gilligan and Mary Ann actually did hook up and reproduce. Who knows.

Enter Dharma. I gotta believe their choice of this island is not coincidental. Dharma wants to do research and the magnetic properties are part of the reason why. Maybe someone stumbled upon the Hostile’s research and became intrigued. Maybe they wanted to study the Hostiles themselves. Maybe it was just the island and the Hostiles being there was just a glitch in the plan. Again…who knows. But they come in and establish their research project, all the food drops from the sky, and voila, we have a research community.

Maybe the Hostiles cooperate for a time. Again, maybe they were the original creators of the facilities and decided to let Dharma come in with some $$$ to step it up a notch (or save their dying research). Or maybe it is cowboys and Indians and they had little choice. In any case, there is cooperation. All part of one big happy Dharma family, working together for the greater good, let’s all sing Kumbaya. But make no mistake…Dharma is the Mother and Father of this family.

Then something happens:  The split, the purge. Why? Again, speculation. Maybe the Hostiles wanted their island back (cowboys & Indians). Or maybe research motives began to differ (or differences began to surface). The old dilemma: do we use our knowledge and power for weapons or medicine? Each side thinks that they are doing the right thing, but the motives are so far apart it causes a split. Ultimately, the Hostiles take over and continue the research in some manner. Now they are Mom & Dad. A few Dharma’s might remain – Kelvin, perhaps (he spoke of the Hostiles). Maybe a few in the crew at Hydra or in the community. But ultimately the original Dharma’s are phased out.

However, now the Hostiles have integrated themselves into the Dharma family, so as far as the real world is concerned, Dharma is still thriving. Here comes the next food drop.

so you are saying, dharma is gone, only hostiles (natives) are around?  if there are a few dharma around in the community, i don't see how they would integrate with the natives.  presumably the dharma would be juliet and ethan, because we saw them off island.  both were living within the community, have place of stature within the community.  i don't buy that they are "outsiders" to the natives, yet the natives give them responsiblility and trust them with their leader (presumably ben).  and that HE would trust an outsider (ethan) with finding out about the suvivors of the plane.  if he was truly "one of the last of DHARMA" wouldn't he have immediatly wanted to integrate with the 815ers and ask them for their help in overturning the "natives"?  sorry bean, i still don't agree.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2007, 08:09:12 PM »
I didn't suggest that Ethan is Dharma, or that it was the 'true' Dharma that recruited Juliet. If the Hostiles are NOT Dharma but continue research of their own, I could see them doing their own recruiting.

I don't necessary buy these theories, just throwing them out there. Patchy's statements (while taken witha grain of salt) imply that it is the Hostiles that currently prevail. There is some evidence that they may have been on the island pre-Dharma. The food is still being dropped. Just trying to come up with a feasible (?) explanation!

EnsignE: I thought the incident occurred prior to the video in the Swan, which was copyrighted 1980 (and, unless they were deliberately trying to fake out the viewer or were simply bad dressers, the ensemble that Dr. Candle was wearing suggested that timeframe as well). But, I am the first to admit, I don't take my Lost investigations to the degree that I probably should to be worthy of posting on this site!  ::)

So if it's true that the Dharma Initiative was closed in the 80's, who has been dropping food for the last 20 years?

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2007, 12:03:47 PM »
I think Bens group was the original Dharma
Then others were sent in to end the "experiments" or whatever research Dharma was conducting
Maybe these others were sent in to spy...and were found out don't know for sure.  That is one of my thoughts

the other is

I think that they were all originally one group that split off for whatever reason.
The reason will come to play a big part in the overall picture

Just MHO...

Offline lost_soul12

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2007, 08:50:29 PM »
OK patchy shot sayid and told sayid that he didnt cross the line wich was the same thing that jack and them where told when they tried to rescue kate. NOW why would he tell sayid that he didnt cross the line if he was one of the others why didnt he kill sayid instead , why did he pretend to be one of the dharma people, why didnt he kill himself as well when he shot miss grughed or whatever her name is ????