Author Topic: How did Locke know that 3:05 was a compass bearing?  (Read 7942 times)

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: How did Locke know that 3:05 was a compass bearing?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 09:07:48 AM »
I believe that John is destined to make decisions that APPEAR to be tragic mistakes but in reality serve the greater good.

no hatch -> purple sky -> Others w/o communication

I'm with you on this. I'm starting to enjoy Locke turning into the controversial character he's become. It's a clever scenario twist, to keep people fighting over the rightness of his actions. I still get pissed off reading comments that refer to Locke as stupid, but I guess there is a "greater good" into making him act like that - at least for the show :D

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 10:21:25 AM »
Lockes compass reading he got from eko's stick turned out to be correct. He is not always wrong.

Offline DaddyBeast

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »
The first thing Locke tried was communication with the outside world - and Marvin told him that the satellite was down.
Locke presumably didn't know about the c-4 because he was not with Kate and Sayid when they found it.
I was very surprised that Locke took his attention away from his prisoner and allowed himself to be taken (with a knife!).
So, Locke was just acting stupid because he didn't have all of the information...or that's what they want you to think...

Offline deadpolarbear

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 03:51:24 PM »
i first thought it was telling him to head north, but then found that strange because i recall the flame to be situated on the east, adn thats not a very precise direction anyway..
i didnt think of it as a compass bearing, and of course it made more sense as its more precise and led them to the flame...

im getting worried about john though... he's becoming quite the loose cannon.. why the hell didnt he mention marvin candle's appearance to kate or sayid...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 03:53:37 PM »
The first thing Locke tried was communication with the outside world - and Marvin told him that the satellite was down.
Locke presumably didn't know about the c-4 because he was not with Kate and Sayid when they found it.
I was very surprised that Locke took his attention away from his prisoner and allowed himself to be taken (with a knife!).
So, Locke was just acting stupid because he didn't have all of the information...or that's what they want you to think...

They could of had a discussion about the C4, just did not show us the discussion

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 10:56:59 AM »
I think they would have shown something that important - they didn't have time to have the conversation anyway because of the situation when Kate and Sayid came up from the basement, events over took everything and they got distracted.

I like that Locke follows his intuition, although it has led to some consequences it always works out to be a better thing.

The hatch imploded but they were free from pushing the button - and the fact that the others lost their comms is a good thing for the losties I think.

I think the loss of the flame will affect the others in a bad way too and this will give the losties an advantage further down the line. Patchie said the satellite didn't work for years but we only have his word for this and considering his form I don't know if I believe this. There was a lot of computer equipment in there and this could have been vital stuff for the other.

I don't even think Patchie lived there like he said he did - I think he was there waiting for the losties because the others knew they were on their way - I still have my reservations about Danielle - where was she when all this was going on? Not too far away considering how quickly she emerged. I have a theory I'm working on but it's got too many holes at the mo.

Offline Tekkaman

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 11:15:39 AM »
John had the choice to enter 77 or not. John knows it dont matter what he chooses. No matter what decision he makes, it will be the right one.

Now he will probably doubt again for a (very short) time, because sayid could maybe fix the communication. But when he finds out sayid found a map he will once again have his faith back.

Offline LOST N LOST

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 01:23:08 AM »
i think it was because it was in consecutive order North 305 witch im pretty sure is a compas baring. And it just turned on a light bulb.

the fact that the scripture isnt right, they attested this to the fact that eko was not a real prist, and would confuse scripture. kinda dumb i know but makes since.

Offline captaintau

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 08:00:11 AM »
I have no idea about the Jesus stick BUT I think Locke made the right choice regarding entering 77. Whatever the end result, clearly DHARMA feel it preferrable that the Flame station not be in the posession of the "hostiles".

Offline jkbeaulieu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 11:11:21 AM »
Well read as a sentence the tick sadi to him, "Lift up your eyes and look North, John. 305."  He perceived it as a message from Eko, the other "Spiritual" member of the survivors.  John was wrong in the hatch.  He knows he should have listened to Eko.  Going North at bearing 305 was his perceiving that Eko was still with him to help him.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 05:16:40 AM »
The whole compass bearing magically appearring on Eko's stick confused me just as much as anyone else... the first thing I tought of with the stick in the ground was a sundial (dumb random thought, i know) but then as Sayid elaborated on the compass I just kinda scratched my head asking myself, "Locke got that just by reading those two lines?" Whatever the case, at least now they have something to work off, direction-wise, I guess...

Second, I don't know if John blew up the joint on purpose or if it was a mistake I like the theory that it was a hapless mistake for the greater good, as broached by Creflo and Juggy, but I don't think Locke is stupid, nor do I think that divine influence told him "Enter 77" was the best option. And I like how Captain Obivous said that Locke probably thinks he's just doing the right thing, and at least Locke is humble enough to admit when he is wrong. I think what best describes Locke's actions is a naive but genuine trust in the "island" - as in he's not afraid of smokie, he likes to push buttons to save the world, his spritual experience of talking to the island, getting healed by the island, his island-dreams, etc. I dunno if that makes sense, but that's all I've got so far... :)

Lastly, I did find Locke's fascination with the computerized chess game really odd especially when he had to keep an eye on Mikhail... I get the curiosity with the nouveaux but he just seemed really distracted for some reason... And I don't think anyone would blow up all those amenities on purpose... It's like he's a big kid playing a game on the comp, man... He's such a unique character on the show, definitely a wild card as Pandy first mentioned... :)

Offline lost_soul12

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 08:58:06 PM »
if i was in lokes position and i saw the "look north jhon 3:05" i would have done the same thing i mean just the word north would get me to thinking that i should go north but i would need a compass to tell me where north is at and jhon would be my name and the 3:05 i would guess would be the direction i would follow on the compass

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 09:24:35 PM »
if i was in lokes position and i saw the "look north jhon 3:05" i would have done the same thing i mean just the word north would get me to thinking that i should go north but i would need a compass to tell me where north is at and jhon would be my name and the 3:05 i would guess would be the direction i would follow on the compass
I agree! :)  The simplest explanation is often the most likely!

mindsparkle

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2007, 11:36:53 PM »
In the previews for next week Locke says that he didn't know about the C4 when he's arguing with Sayid about the maps... I don't think Locke had any idea he was blowing up the place by entering 77... but if in battle and you learn that your bunker has been overtaken you'd blow it up to at least keep what secrets and materials and supplies out of the hands of your enemy... so I don't believe there was any communication with the outside world it was just another fail safe mechanism should the place come under attack and be taken by the enemy...

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 09:35:31 PM »
This confused me. Everyone thought what Locke was focusing on was "Lift up your eyes and look North", when in reality, he was ALSO considering 3:05, not as the Bible scripture, but as a compass direction.  Clever, but just really "out there".

And was there any tie in to "compass bearing 325"? 

Locke is definitely a wild card lately.  I saw a few theories that he blew up the Flame on purpose, knowing what 77 would do... and I'm starting to believe them.
the "Jesus stick" says, "Lift up your eyes and look north  John 3:05. 

what confuses me is this is John 3:05:  Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit."  OR there is 1 John 3:05:  But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.

I don't see how these pertain to lost, or our story. 

"Lift up your eyes and look north  John 3:05.  "

Maybe what it means in Locke's mind is as follows:

"Lift up your eyes and look north, John
3:05"

Eko always called Locke "John"

exactly.. but why not just tell locke in person:

eko: john, listen dude, one day i might die and if i do i want you to follow the coordinates, 3.05
locke: i know
eko: you do?
locke: i know everything

;D