Author Topic: How did Locke know that 3:05 was a compass bearing?  (Read 9183 times)

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
How did Locke know that 3:05 was a compass bearing?
« on: March 08, 2007, 01:52:12 PM »
This confused me. Everyone thought what Locke was focusing on was "Lift up your eyes and look North", when in reality, he was ALSO considering 3:05, not as the Bible scripture, but as a compass direction.  Clever, but just really "out there".

And was there any tie in to "compass bearing 325"? 

Locke is definitely a wild card lately.  I saw a few theories that he blew up the Flame on purpose, knowing what 77 would do... and I'm starting to believe them.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: How did Locke know that 3:05 was a compass bearing?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 02:27:18 PM »
This confused me. Everyone thought what Locke was focusing on was "Lift up your eyes and look North", when in reality, he was ALSO considering 3:05, not as the Bible scripture, but as a compass direction.  Clever, but just really "out there".

Locke is definitely a wild card lately.  I saw a few theories that he blew up the Flame on purpose, knowing what 77 would do... and I'm starting to believe them.

Hmmm.....I see the reasoning behind such a theory, but I'm just attributing his behavior to poor impulse control.  This has been consistent throughout his off & on-island stories.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 02:36:29 PM »

Hmmm.....I see the reasoning behind such a theory, but I'm just attributing his behavior to poor impulse control.  This has been consistent throughout his off & on-island stories.

I agree...it was simply Locke's screwy judgement, which has been shown to be his trademark action even in flashbacks.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 03:14:46 PM »

the "Jesus stick" says, "Lift up your eyes and look north  John 3:05. 

what confuses me is this is John 3:05:  Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit."  OR there is 1 John 3:05:  But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.

I don't see how these pertain to lost, or our story. 

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 03:19:01 PM »

what confuses me is this is John 3:05:  Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit."  OR there is 1 John 3:05:  But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.

Funny thing about Lost and the Bible is that you can twist almost anything in that book to make it sound significant I think. :)  Because a lot of scripture just looks like it SHOULD have another layer.

As opposed to taking a line from another book, where the line on that page might end up being "And so he went to the bathroom, and came back in 5 minutes."

:D

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »

Oh you never know ladybug the whole theme ofl ost based very deep in christain ideas;forgiveness and redemption.

Offline kmetzk92

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 04:22:56 PM »

Thers no way locke blew up the Flame on purpose.. hes not insane and hes the reason we even found the Swan station.. thers no way locke would do that.. he had no idea what 77 would do.. for all he knew it could bring helicopters and pick up the dharma members to get them away from the hostiles

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 04:25:19 PM »
I believe that John is destined to make decisions that APPEAR to be tragic mistakes but in reality serve the greater good.

no hatch -> purple sky -> Others w/o communication

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 06:09:37 PM »

"Lift up your eyes and look north  John 3:05.  "

Maybe what it means in Locke's mind is as follows:

"Lift up your eyes and look north, John
3:05"

Eko always called Locke "John"

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 06:33:51 PM »

I think he purposfully pressed 77, yes! I believe the computer was vague on what the action of pressing 77 was. Remember he looked surpised when it expoloded. I think he knew Dharma would be contacted or recognize hostiles had taken over the Flame, but he didnt know to such an extreme...but thats just my belief.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 08:58:45 PM »
I believe that John is destined to make decisions that APPEAR to be tragic mistakes but in reality serve the greater good.

I agree with this statement.

scrod

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 09:20:53 PM »

I agree with this statement.
Locke always is very earnest in everything he does.  He probably thought he was helping things by responding that hostiles have taken over.  Unsure why this is for the greater good.

Reading the discussions here reminded me of the flashback when he picked up the undercover officer and brought him to the farm.  Totally, thoroughly convinced he was doing the right and noble thing.  But his weed lovin' friends didn't think so.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 09:48:15 PM »

that's what i think, from looking at the stick, and seeing locke's actions last night.

mindsparkle

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 05:21:30 AM »
I think the number, the biblical reference, was only as important as it was to John having a compass bearing and was headed north and the light had shown him... no mystery, just divine guidance according to Locke.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 09:01:57 AM »

I agree with this  ;D

And good to C U again Pandy  ;)