Author Topic: back story  (Read 6770 times)

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: back story
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 07:17:48 AM »
I thought Sayid stopped torturing Sawyer only because Kate intervened (???...Probably remembering it wrong lol). And Sayid wasn't really torturing Ben, he was simply beating him up until Jack stopped him. I wanted him to place the bamboo beneath the fingernails like he did with Sawyer lol...
Check again. "AFAIR" Right before that he pulls Jack and tell he is not certain about Sawyer. THEN they are interrupted and then leave the place without arguing.

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 06:30:49 PM »
I was confused as to why Sayid was so easily convinced by the man who approached him at the restaurant - it showed that he had let his guard down cos normally he's spot on about things. I need to re-watch the episode to see his reaction again when the wife walks in, I didn't notice any recognition first time round and I wondered if Sayid was lying when he confessed.

I also recognised the husband and wife but probably from other shows.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 03:00:52 AM »
Regarding the back story, have we seen the tortured ladies husband before?  He looked very familiar to me but it could be from another show.  ???

Yup, the character Sami looked familiar cuz he was on Seinfeld and he was the disgruntled shopkeeper in the movie "Crash", but I dunno about Amira...

I thought that Sayid's backstory was interesting but most of what we learn is from his change in disposition/presonailty about the torcher issue and his hope for redemption from his past. But sometimes I think it's like Schmoe said, that the writers are mainly reinforcing what we already know...

Some key things we did get from Sayid's backstory was: 1) He lived in France, 2) He worked as a cook in 'Le Port d'Arabie' under the alias Najeev/Najiv, 3) He encountered one of his torcher victims and lived to tell about it based on her forgiveness, and 4) We saw another weird animal in the form of a cat bearing the same name as Nadia...

But I wonder when he lived in France/Paris and for how long? It makes sense that he would recognize Danielle speaking French in the distress signal loop but I guess the language never caught on or he only lived there a short while because he couldn't translate Danielle's speech or the map since he asked Shannon to decode it for him... I don't know if the writers put him in Paris on purpose, the only possible connection is Shannon but she is dead, or maybe emphasizing Danielle's new role with this band of Losties... And does the name Najeev/Najiv have any significance to those Russian manuscripts we found in Mikhail's place...

Anyway, his backstory did reveal to us some insight into the world of the others... Ever the interrogator, Sayid always seems to be the one that first encounters or questions "the others", Danielle, Ben, and now Mikhail... guess he's a got a good judgment of character... then again, he fell for Sami's charade and saw Amira (like Wishbone, I too wonder his sincerity in admitting that he knew Amira because her face had haunted him, they showed her burnt hands but I couldn't really gauge his reaction)...

The only thing I can really say for sure is that the writers are leaving a lot of room for development so I hope we see more to his story and why Sayid remains an important member of our Losties...

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 10:52:10 AM »
i've been wodering about sayid being in france also.  it amazes me that a person like sayid would live and work in a country in a french restaurant (right?) yet not learn the language.  i don't know where this story can go.  piglet, like you said, shannon is the one who could show us the france connection, and she's dead.  so i really don't know where it's going, unless we learn that he really does know french.

Offline zappa1

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 12:14:16 PM »
i've thought of this too

maybe he wasn't there very long before this happened and after he was released he got the hell out of France

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 01:03:47 PM »
He might of known French, but than he could not of gotten close to Shannon ;D

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Is it just me or did this seem like a missed opportunity for a crossover. :-\  They could have done a Shannon or a Danielle crossover, but chose not to.  I guess the timing just didn't work out.  Unless this was more than 16 years ago, Danielle was no longer in France. Shannon would have only been there within the last couple of years...but still! lol
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 04:38:43 PM by PrincessLeia »

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 04:37:13 PM »
Is it just me or did this seem like a missed opportunity for a crossover. :-\  They could have done a Shannon or a Danielle crossover, but chose not to.  I guess the timing just didn't work ot.  Unless this was more than 16 years ago, Danielle was no longer in France. Shannon would have only been there within the last couple of years...but still! lol

Exactly the point I was trying to make... why France? and was this just a careless location or character placement by the writers, or was there an ultimate design for Sayid being in Paris besides running into Amira and Sami? Wouldn't it have been a cool connection if Shannon and a friend had been dining in either of the restaurants? I just want to find out when Sayid lived in France and for how long... for timeline purposes of course... :)

Hopefully, the writers will expand on this cuz I'd just hate for them to leave us hanging like always... asking more questions instead of getting more answers... I liked the episode but I'm so confused!!! :D

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »
It could of taken place in Syria or another arab country. That would of made sense. I agree that the crossover should of taken place. Maybe more to come from this story.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 05:09:40 PM »
Another thing, we know the reasons about the travel of most of the survivors:
Jack caught his father's body
Boone kind of rescued his stepsister Shannon
Locke was in a adventure
Claire went to give Aaron to an adoptive family
Charlie had problems with his career and brother and was behind drugs
Eko was going to give his report
Ana Lucia was going home after the problems with Christian
Sawyer was running from a con
Kate ws arrested
Hugo was in Australia because of the numbers and went to his mother birthday

BUT I can't remeber why Sayid was on that flight.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 05:22:43 PM »
He was taken to australia to help stop his friend from doing a car bomb. He was suppose to be with Nadia when he completed the job.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 09:39:46 PM »
I was confused as to why Sayid was so easily convinced by the man who approached him at the restaurant - it showed that he had let his guard down cos normally he's spot on about things. I need to re-watch the episode to see his reaction again when the wife walks in, I didn't notice any recognition first time round and I wondered if Sayid was lying when he confessed.

I also recognised the husband and wife but probably from other shows.

exactlyyyyyyyyy... think about it.. if he told them he didn't do it, they'd beat him and starve him some more. the woman clearly said that if he confessed she'd let him go (right?) so he lied to free himself. I honestly believe that he didn't torture that girl.