Author Topic: back story  (Read 8051 times)

Offline HanginWithMrEko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
back story
« on: March 08, 2007, 12:19:36 AM »
The back story for Sayid was good, but what did we learn?

Did they say that they were in France? (shannon was in france)

Not everyone exacts revenge?

I missed some of the meaning

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: back story
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:24:16 AM »
I don't think I learned very much.  ???
Instead, it seemed like they were just reasserting Sayid's newfound respect for humanity.  Like when he could no longer torture Sawyer...I think the meaning was that he has become a kind of pacifist.  Although, this kind of defeats the purpose of letting him carry a gun or raise up an army!!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 12:25:30 AM »
But he went back and happily tortured Ben. So he continues to be a huge contradictions

Offline thwgt

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 12:33:31 AM »
But he went back and happily tortured Ben. So he continues to be a huge contradictions
I think maybe it's showing why Sayid is not ruthless, thus no longer effective as a torturer.  That's something that always bugged me.  If he was such a torturer, then why couldn't he break Sawyer or Ben?

The flashback showed how he completed his journey to redemption that began when he was supposed to torture Nadia and which led to him leaving Iraq.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 12:50:14 AM »
Didn't he do Sawyer too?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 12:56:42 AM »
He regretted tortuing sawyer, but never regretted doing it to Ben.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 01:45:19 AM »
Not a second.
And as far as I remember, there wasn't real information to be extracted from Sawyer. How could Sayid make him talk something he didn't knew? No wonder he backed up. Being a good interrogator he saw it.
And in Ben we saw the old Iraqi Sayid. Too bad Mike blew it.

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 10:45:53 AM »
Regarding the back story, have we seen the tortured ladies husband before?  He looked very familiar to me but it could be from another show.  ???

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 11:16:12 AM »
Not a second.
And as far as I remember, there wasn't real information to be extracted from Sawyer. How could Sayid make him talk something he didn't knew? No wonder he backed up. Being a good interrogator he saw it.

He absolutely regretted torturing Sawyer. He left the group and walked the island. Told Kate he had to leave because of what he had done.

Offline Kurtis

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 02:15:36 PM »
The tortured ladies husband looks familiar because he has been in a lot of other shows. Most will remember him from the backwards Seinfeld episode where he played Elaine's old boyfriend Peter/Pinter, and was enaged to the braless candy heir Sue Ellen Mischki.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 02:25:06 PM »
Not a second.

I thought Sayid stopped torturing Sawyer only because Kate intervened (???...Probably remembering it wrong lol). And Sayid wasn't really torturing Ben, he was simply beating him up until Jack stopped him. I wanted him to place the bamboo beneath the fingernails like he did with Sawyer lol...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 02:26:37 PM »
I am glad that we are not friends. You scare me.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 02:57:15 PM »
I am glad that we are not friends. You scare me.

Hey, if you're gonna torture, then torture...hitting someone is just venting lol.

Offline Schmoe

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 04:12:49 PM »
They could almost do away with the flash backs a good portion of the time.  They just seem to reinforce things we already know.  Of course, I probably miss half of it so I may be wrong.

mindsparkle

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 06:46:06 AM »
I think that this time we saw a flashback and Sayid, unlike other losties, decided to change his reaction given his strong feeling for what he had done and for the kindness the woman had shown him when he didn't deserve it.  He made a difference, if the island is testing him, his behavior was different.